SASS Wire Forum

De Burring small parts

I have a small assortment of stones for certain jobs but for general polishing I mostly use very fine abrasive cloth on a piece of glass for to keep things level.   Abrasive sheets are relatively cheap and available in very fine to super fine.       GW

I remember buying a set of stones, not sure where they are (need to clean up my bench).

They were not very expensive but probably 2 to 3 times the cost of whatever junk Harbor Freight sells. Good quality man-made Arkansas stones should do a great job. Brownells probably sells good sets under $50.

For sharpening knives and planes, I bought some 3/8" thick glass pieces the size of a sheet of sandpaper. Two sheets of glass provides 4 grits. Just spray-glue the sandpaper and stick it down on the glass. Lasts a long time.

I use water as my lubricant.

I use all kinds of abrasives for deburring parts. Sandpaper, stones (oil and water), jeweler's files, emery boards (yes, steal from your wife) and, one of my favorites is Cratex wheels and bobs. Cratex is an abrasive impregnated rubber molded into wheels and bobs and mounted on shafts (usually) for a moto tool (Dremel).

These take practice and you can easily ruin a part if you are not careful. Get it close with the more coarse and motor-driven abrasives and finish by hand. Use good quality abrasives with square corners and go SLOW to finish. A moto tool can save a lot of time and do a great job but can also get you into trouble quickly. Take your time; you can always take more off, kinda hard to put it back on.

1 minute ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Dremel

Heard this a gunsmiths favorite tool. Well, it is their favorite for customers to own.

Just go slow, best to pause and check progress 10 times as often as one thinks.

How big a burr?  Just remember, a gunsmith's favorite customer is one that owns a Dremel.  

My go-to tool is an industrial deburring scraper or three.  Swivel scraper head for inside diameters of holes.  Fixed triangular scrapers for most parts.  Cuts very fast, so use them lightly until you learn how to control them. 

After that, carborundum abrasive flats and rounds and triangles.  Finish - Cratex type bobs and fine automotive wet-cutting sandpaper.

Selections depend upon how much metal you are removing, and how fine a finish you have to get to as you end up.

good luck, GJ

Depends on size and shape of parts. Some pieces can be done with wet dry abrasive on a glass plate, others I use a variety of different ceramic or ruby stones to fit the size and shape of the area I need to get to. 

Also, small parts can be deburred  in a rock tumbler. I have small triangular abrasive rocks in the tumbler. Been doing that in machine shops for 40 years. 

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

600gt wet or dry sandpaper, wrapped around a popsicle stick works very well. ;)

I tried that! 

The damn thing melted all over my project!!!

:D:D:D

I use Spyderco fine ceramic rods, circle, square and triangle cross-section the most. They work great!

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/abrasives-polishing/shaped-ceramic-stones/

I like a fine diamond lap  Eze-Lap has a 3 pack on Amazon

They won't move much metal, which is what I like

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK-Color-Coded-Diamond/dp/B000UVS62S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3A7W7A05VFYRQ&keywords=eze-lap&qid=1689959040&sprefix=eze-lap%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-1

Archived