SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 94 .44 mag

7 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I think I paid around $475.00 new for mine.

I think that’s what my son-in-law paid for his. 

I have a Winchester 94 Trails End .357. It was my first SASS rifle. I do believe I would be hard pressed to sell it for $2,000. It’s more sentimental than anything else. A big plus is that’s it’s the most accurate pistol caliber long gun I have ever fired. It loves 158 grain magnum loads. 

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I have a Winchester 94 Trails End .357. It was my first SASS rifle. I do believe I would be hard pressed to sell it for $2,000. It’s more sentimental than anything else. A big plus is that’s it’s the most accurate pistol caliber long gun I have ever fired. It loves 158 grain magnum loads. 

I bought mine at the local Walmart for less than $400 when I first started SASS.  It's been sitting in the gun safe, unused, for the past 18 years.  

Mine was exactly that model of 94AE

Except I got it on sale from Big5 in the late 90s ($239 out the door)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Was my first SASS rifle. I couldn't dedicate a gun just to SASS at the time so I got the .44. Makes a heck of a lot better deer rifle than a comp rifle.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I bought mine at the local Walmart for less than $400 when I first started SASS.  It's been sitting in the gun safe, unused, for the past 18 years.  

A Trails End?
Boy, that’s a shame. Mine has had a bunch of rounds through it. I have replaced the link 3 times and the carrier once. Right now it’s in great shape. I need to get it to a range soon. 

32 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I have one bought new before any safety was added.  A fine rifle, sad to say it only holds 9 in the tube.  I didn't know it was worth a mint!

image.png.e7236f7e83a0e86f4c439f89f4687653.png

Unfortunately, that one is only worth $50-$75.

Tell you what, I’ll give you a crisp hundred dollar bill for it and even pay shipping. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Pat Riot said:

Unfortunately, that one is only worth $50-$75.

Tell you what, I’ll give you a crisp hundred dollar bill for it and even pay shipping. :rolleyes:

I'll raise ya 50:lol:

This gun is probably the number one reason for the oft given advice "Go to a few shoots and try before you buy."

5 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

A Trails End?
Boy, that’s a shame. Mine has had a bunch of rounds through it. I have replaced the link 3 times and the carrier once. Right now it’s in great shape. I need to get it to a range soon. 

I just dug it out and looked at it.  Trails End is not stamped on the barrel.  I has Winchester Model 94AE stamped on it.   The original box is not in my collection so I guess I threw it out.  It holds at least 10 rounds of 38 spl. and has a 20" round barrel.  

I had Joe West do an action job on it and I shot it at monthly matches for less than a year.  I got a 73 and never looked back.   If my memory is correct, I think I paid $369.00 at Walmart. 

It's been a long time since I even thought about this rifle.  Thanks for giving me a reason.

Mebbe geography has something to do with it....  :rolleyes:

Location Simi Valley, CA 93065

4 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I just dug it out and looked at it.  Trails End is not stamped on the barrel.  I has Winchester Model 94AE stamped on it.   The original box is not in my collection so I guess I threw it out.  It holds at least 10 rounds of 38 spl. and has a 20" round barrel.  

I had Joe West do an action job on it and I shot it at monthly matches for less than a year.  I got a 73 and never looked back.   If my memory is correct, I think I paid $369.00 at Walmart. 

It's been a long time since I even thought about this rifle.  Thanks for giving me a reason.

My 94 was finicky with .38 Special but ran great with .357 length cartridges. I just loaded .357 with a 158 grain RNFP over a .38 powder load with a magnum primer for SASS. It ran Ike a champ. 

24 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

This gun is probably the number one reason for the oft given advice "Go to a few shoots and try before you buy."

Yep, I joined SASS in 97 and some guy at a gun show said “The 94 is what you want…” Bastage! Anyway, I still had a ball. It did get old hearing people b**** about my 94. After a while I just kept using her for spite. ;) And to say “Hey man, if you feel strongly about getting a 73 why don’t you just give me one”. That usually stopped comments about my 94.  :lol:
I was there to have fun. A clean stage or match was my goal. :)

I just did a little research on the Winchester forum.  According to the experts on the 94AE, U.S. Repeating Arms made the Trails End 94AE rifles.  Prior to 2003, they had the crossbolt safety on the receiver.  In 2003, they went with the safety on the tang until they closed the plant in March 2006.  

Got mine around 06. Holds 13 44mags or 14 specials. Lever throw like a golf swing. Blows large holes in the side of deer though.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

My 94 was finicky with .38 Special but ran great with .357 length cartridges.

Same thing with my 44mag.  Had it before I ever heard of SASS.  I tried 44 specials and it simply wont feed without jamming if you move any faster than a three toed sloth.  So, I used to drop the 10th round into the chamber when that was my only lever action.  I did not enjoy all the "experts" telling me how I would never win anything if I didn't get a 66 or 73... probably why my next rifle was a 92.  :D

I do love the trapper length.  It has been carried thru the brush looking for dinner many times.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Yep, I joined SASS in 97 and some guy at a gun show said “The 94 is what you want…” Bastage! Anyway, I still had a ball.

Maybe he was talking about Marlin?

Betty Lu had a 94 Trail’s End that did not say “Trail’s End” on it anywhere.  She sold it and kept my .44 magnum Marlin 1894.

5 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Maybe he was talking about Marlin?

Betty Lu had a 94 Trail’s End that did not say “Trail’s End” on it anywhere.  She sold it and kept my .44 magnum Marlin 1894.

No, unfortunately. I had just joined SASS and was purchasing my Stoeger SxS at Turner’s Outdoorsman in Westminster CA. After I told the clerk I was getting my guns together for Cowboy Action the clerk said “Hey, there’s going to be a sale at the Pomona Gun Show in a couple of weeks. You can get a Ruger Vaquero and a Winchester 94 “Trails End” for $750. 

“Trails End, trails end…where have I heard that before?..END OF TRAIL! That’s it!” 
I asked if it was named after the SASS End Of Trail. He said “Probably.” Another guy in a cowboy hat was standing there and he said something like “That Winchester 94 is a good gun. You’ll love it.” 
I can’t remember if Turner’s was selling the guns at the Pomona Gun Show or not, but when I got there and found the table there was a big sign “Cowboy Action Sale!”

So, I bought my Trails End and my Vaquero and 10 days later I had all the guns I needed for SASS…then SASS changed the rule making two pistols a requirement. It was a few months before I could afford another Vaquero. 

Good guns for sure. Not great. Pure marketing though to put a pistol cartridge in a rifle length action. Using the Winchester 1894 name? The 92 didn't have the same pizzaz? Marlin did it with the 336 too. The 94 had that covered properly. All in my humble opinion. 

I didn’t know  SASS started as handgun - rifle - shotgun matches.  That’d make an interesting category now-a-days… Original Cowboy (just using the rifle for 5 more shots).

I lucked out that my Trapper 94AE cycled 44spl well enough (only 2 times did I get a “nose up” misfeed).  I’d still have it today had I not traded it plus three hundred bucks for my Miroku 92.

50 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Good guns for sure. Not great. Pure marketing though to put a pistol cartridge in a rifle length action. Using the Winchester 1894 name? The 92 didn't have the same pizzaz? Marlin did it with the 336 too. The 94 had that covered properly. All in my humble opinion. 

94s get a lot of short shrift from SASS folks but in reality they are very good guns, even in pistol calibers, provided you shoot the rounds listed on the roll-mark and keep your hand loads within SAAMI length tolerances. 

They just aren’t good for SASS if you’re trying to go fast or if your goal is to be a top contender in your club or other competitions. 

Heck, I won first place once and 3rd place a few times shooting my Winchester 94. It’s not my fault there were only a couple of people shooting in my category. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

94s get a lot of short shrift from SASS folks but in reality they are very good guns, even in pistol calibers, provided you shoot the rounds listed on the roll-mark and keep your hand loads within SAAMI length tolerances. 

They just aren’t good for SASS if you’re trying to go fast or if your goal is to be a top contender in your club or other competitions. 

Heck, I won first place once and 3rd place a few times shooting my Winchester 94. It’s not my fault there were only a couple of people shooting in my category. :lol:

I love mine for pistol caliber long range. Danged accurate.

I bought mine from the PX in 1968 (?) for about $170.00.  I had some ivory inlay (it was Okinawa and ivory was still legal then).  I also had some engraving done by a little Okinawn man who did very nice work.  Total outlay ran about $250.00.

It was not an angle eject model and the only safety was a half cock notch.

I lost my job for the first time in aerospace (before I wised up and stopped trying to make a living in that volatile trade.)  We got hard up for money and I sold it for somewhere around $270.00.  Still regret it because I got a job a month later and we were flush again....until the company lost a contract and I was on the street again.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I love mine for pistol caliber long range. Danged accurate.

Mine too. I like popping clays at 100 yards with mine. 

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

LSB is Lead Dispenser's business.

Really?  Cool!  Good to know!  :)

Archived