SASS Wire Forum

Why you suppose this is

Alpo

I have no interest in sports. Pro sports, college sports, high School sports. None.

So why do you suppose it is that when I saw this guy on the television show Las Vegas, I immediately recognized Terry Bradshaw?

IMG_20230322_192500736.thumb.jpg.52b59032cad62edf1441b6f81213d9d2.jpg

I had to look up Terry Bradshaw to see who the hell he was. But I knew it was him. Was pretty sure he had been a football player.

You see these guys in every facet of life today! We are inundated with endless commercials featuring current and former pro and college athletes and coaches on television, in magazines, and, when you can find one, newspapers, not to mention billboards and posters everywhere!

Beer, shoes, clothes, cars, insurance, food, and even medicine!!

If it ain’t some athlete or actor, it’s a former politician or race car driver, (everybody is getting their cut) pumping you for your hard earned dollar.

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You see these guys in every facet of life today! We are inundated with endless commercials featuring current and former pro and college athletes and coaches on television, in magazines, and, when you can find one, newspapers, not to mention billboards and posters everywhere!

Beer, shoes, clothes, cars, insurance, food, and even medicine!!

If it ain’t some athlete or actor, it’s a former politician or race car driver, (everybody is getting their cut) pumping you for your hard earned dollar.

Well. most on this kind of site might just have an IQ.

Long ago in a galaxy far away, I was a rabid Dallas Cowboy fan. The Steelers were our arch enemy, they beat the Oilers out of the playoffs, then beat the Cowboys. Bradshaw was the QB back then, as much fun as it was to hate him, he was a GOAT (greatest of all time) QB's. Gotta call 'em as you see 'em.

JHC

My nephew has met Terry Bradshaw and gotten to actually know him. Says he is just as nice [and corny] in person as he appears to be on tv.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

He has been a spokesman for many products.

That is quite likely the reason.

That's the reason I know who Bob Uecker is.

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have no interest in sports. Pro sports, college sports, high School sports. None.

Just a side note, thank you for that. I'm the same way, NO interest in sports, and I don't understand why people are. I started a thread on here a couple years ago asking "Why?" and after several days and several pages, I still didn't understand. A number of guys and I here had a good discussion about it, but it still doesn't make sense to me.  

Oh darn, I just realized that I have something in common with ALPO!

25 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I started a thread on here a couple years ago asking "Why?" and after several days and several pages, I still didn't understand.

Coolstorynotext.jpg.2d6f22e68e4d14ad9e6bb44e21bd6990.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Just a side note, thank you for that. I'm the same way, NO interest in sports, and I don't understand why people are.

It's like asking, "Why do people like movies?" If you don't like them there is no amount of explanation that will let you understand why people do like them.

I don't like rap music.  No amount of explanation will help me understand why people like it.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It's like asking, "Why do people like movies?" If you don't like them there is no amount of explanation that will let you understand why people do like them.

I don't like rap music.  No amount of explanation will help me understand why people like it.

I can kind of understand liking sports, it's the rabid fandom that baffles me. And you spelled it wrong, the C is silent, but it's there. (C)rap music.

14 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:
1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I can kind of understand liking sports, it's the rabid fandom that baffles me.

I sense shifting goal posts here.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm the same way, NO interest in sports, and I don't understand why people are.

I will say that I don't understand the level of fanaticism that leads to riots and vandalism, or even fist fights.  I sort of get the guys that paint themselves in team colors and sit shirtless at Lambeau Field in December.  

You mean like paying thousands to go watch them. No wonder they get paid millions to take a knee. Saw a college lady,girl, woman, whatever this morning talking about how she likes getting 7 figures from sponsors. Ridiculous. The ticket prices make it primarily a rich person's sport to watch now. How can a Dad possibly afford to take the kids to a game? 

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You mean like paying thousands to go watch them. No wonder they get paid millions to take a knee. Saw a college lady,girl, woman, whatever this morning talking about how she likes getting 7 figures from sponsors. Ridiculous. The ticket prices make it primarily a rich person's sport to watch now. How can a Dad possibly afford to take the kids to a game? 

How does privately paid endorsement money increase ticket prices?

LL

Expletive like liverwurst. I have never understood that. But I never ask they why because it doesn’t interest me.

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

How does privately paid endorsement money increase ticket prices?

LL

In the case of the lady college player, it probably doesn't, but the professional players pay surely does. JMHO. Ya can barely even go to a concert these days. NBC said this morning that Taylor Swift tickets hit $7K. Dang, that's a ton of money for a few hours of entertainment. But, I'm old and grumpy!:lol:

21 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

My nephew has met Terry Bradshaw and gotten to actually know him. Says he is just as nice [and corny] in person as he appears to be on tv.

My dad met him once. Said the same thing. Heck of a nice guy.

because he has been on TV forever in his after carrier - commentary to commercials for medical aids .................i think you and i are a lot alike in that - i also never had any interest in all the sports you listed , yet i recognized him too , 

along with a lot of others - joe nameth in pantyhose and selling insurance for one , oj simpson in court for another , lots a reasons to remember/recognize 

Archived