SASS Wire Forum

Bruce Dern question

Alpo

After watching some clips from SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF, I got to thinking about Mr Dern. Specifically, had he ever played a good guy. Running movies I had seen him in through my mind, he was always a bad guy. Maybe not evil, like in The Cowboys, but criminal, like Joe Danny, or just a not-good guy, like the admiral in DOWN PERISCOPE.

So attempting a search on HAS BRUCE DERN EVER PLAYED A GOOD GUY, I end up on his wiki page, where he's talking about James Caan, and says he is not going to retire and let Caan "steal another role from him".

That got me curious as to which part he was referencing. Anyone know? Part that was going to go to Dern, but Caan snaked it out from under him?

I dimly recall Bruce Dern in an outer space movie where he was caretaker of three robots. Not a bad-guy role.

Don't recall any others , except the first thing I ever saw him in was when he was a sidekick to Jack Lord in "Stoney Burke" TV show in early 60's.

Rex :D

2 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I dimly recall Bruce Dern in an outer space movie where he was caretaker of three robots. Not a bad-guy role.

Don't recall any others , except the first thing I ever saw him in was when he was a sidekick to Jack Lord in "Stoney Burke" TV show in early 60's.

Rex :D

The movie you’re referring to is “Silent Running”.

I can't remember the name of the movie/TV show, but was totally disillusioned when I saw Dern's character take careful aim and shoot a guy by using a two-handed grip!  All my Saturday serial/TV heroes - and villains - used one hand, or one gun in each hand.  The shot stuck out like a sore thumb, looked totally wrong!

CS

8 minutes ago, Count Sandor, SASS #74075 said:

I can't remember the name of the movie/TV show, but was totally disillusioned when I saw Dern's character take careful aim and shoot a guy by using a two-handed grip!  All my Saturday serial/TV heroes - and villains - used one hand, or one gun in each hand.  The shot stuck out like a sore thumb, looked totally wrong!

CS

James Coburn in “The Magnificent Seven”.

Steve McQueen in the same movie!

Not at all unusual…

27 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

James Coburn in “The Magnificent Seven”.

Steve McQueen in the same movie!

Not at all unusual…

True - but as an official Old Guy, I grew up on 1950's TV westerns and the Saturday western serials at the Rialto Theater, and those are the images I've always had.  Truth is, I didn't actually see The Magnificent Seven until I was in my 30's, way past the "formative years!"

CS

Maybe it was "Mississippi" in Eldorado? 

Just a guess.

Capt Bob Hyde in Coming Home. A tortured soul. But not a bad man at all.

He struck me as the perennial bad guy / psychotic / whack job, but that all changed

watching him play the role in Silent Running.  That man can act.

SC

5 hours ago, T.K. said:

Maybe it was "Mississippi" in Eldorado? 

Just a guess.

As James Caan.

Archived