SASS Wire Forum

Question about cigars

Alpo

The poster recently put up about Soylent Green got me to thinking.

The movie is based on a Harry Harrison book called MAKE ROOM MAKE ROOM. We have the murdered rich guy, his girlfriend, the cop assigned to  the case, and the old man that is the cop's roommate.

After the girlfriend and the cop become attracted, she gives the cop a box of cigars. Tobacco is extremely rare and expensive, so only the rich guy could afford it, but now he's dead. The girl and the cop together give the cigars to the old man roommate. He is overjoyed - he has not had a cigar for many years. He smells them. He holds them to his ear and rolls them in his fingers. He lightly pinches the end. He then says that they are dried out.

The girl is upset. "So they aren't any good?"

And he tells her that he will put them in moisture somehow - I don't recall exactly what he was going to do - and that will bring them back to smokability.

So this is my question. If you have some cigars that have dried out, could putting them in a moist environment - such as a humidor - make them smokeable again?

46 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Why does Bill Clinton come to mind?

That would add moisture :blink:

Yes and no. When the oils dry out of a cigar they lose flavor and aroma.  Humidifying for a couple weeks helps but it's not gonna be a great or even good cigar again. 

A properly seasoned humidifier will rejuvenate a dry cigar. 65-70% for several weeks should do it. Quality cigars are surprisingly long lived. They will improve with time much like wine. If they have been over humidified they can get moldy. Then they are ruint.

I’ve left cigars in the car and forgotten about them to then put them back in my humidor for about a month or longer.

It seems to be ok.  You can rehydrate, but you can’t recover them from getting moldy with too much moisture.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Any recommendations on a good cigar for a non smoker? I need a vice other than rich foods.

Try a Macanudo. Popular, mild and affordable. Then maybe an Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor. Check out Cigars Daily on YouTube. Good advice there.If you have a local cigar shop, give them a visit. They may be willing to help you out.

12 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Any recommendations on a good cigar for a non smoker? I need a vice other than rich foods.

Go online and check https://www.cigarsinternational.com/ Great selection, fresh product, interesting offers, fine logistics.  Have bought all kinds of places, but these guys are the best I've found.  IMO, you will need to find out what you like and samplers are a great way to do it.

31 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Not too easy to answer. I was a cigar per day smoker for a long time, until my doc discouraged it and I quit, 20 years ago. I smoked mid-priced cigars by mail order; Thompson mostly. There were good ones.

So after that I had just a few real good ones per year that sons and sons-in-law would give me at Father's Day or my birthday.

Then a few months ago, now 74, I figured I'd take it up again without worries now. Also, with the passage of years, I can afford good ones every time I buy a few; so that's the issue. There are plenty of satisfactory cigars in mid-price range, but the better ones are a few bucks.

I agree with Utah Bob on Macanudo; the best in my eyes. Macanudo now has some lines in the $10-12 range that are very good but not as expensive as their top ones. I buy a lot of them.

There are many brands. Try a few. Old brands like Hoya de Monterey and Arturo Fuente are good bets. Fuente has cigars from the six-buck range to the 15 buck point, of many types, and these are a very good way to experiment with type and price.

I'd go for good ones, even if that means only now and then.

Dirty Dan Dawkins, Try the Sweet Jane from the DeadwoodTobacco Co, it's a very nice smoke for someone just starting out. JaneBoxFinal_1024x1024@2x.png?v=15989801

Thompson Cigar Company is worth a look. I got their catalogues for years after I stopped regular ordering. Decades ago, they had only proprietary cigars, but long since they offer many brands, at many price points. Prices are quite good, Including very top brands. But you have to buy a bundle.

They have samplers of several brand packages. Worth checking out.

There are other such outfits, too.

10 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Thompson Cigar Company is worth a look. I got their catalogues for years after I stopped regular ordering. Decades ago, they had only proprietary cigars, but long since they offer many brands, at many price points. Prices are quite good, Including very top brands. But you have to buy a bundle.

They have samplers of several brand packages. Worth checking out.

There are other such outfits, too.

I quit Thompson after many years and have found CI to be superior. My experiences based on living in a remote area may be different, but I ain't looking back.

if the cigar is dry but hand been dry only for up to a few month, you can restore it without noticeable loss in quality... but after few months cigars start loosing not only water, but also oils and alchaloids that define their flavor... you can still restore them to a smokeable shape, but they will never be the same...

I have a 300 cigar humidor and smoke practically every day...for starters I would suggest getting a variety pack from a good brand, like Arturo Fuente, or Romeo y Julieta.  but this is all personal

i buy from CI , Thompson , JR Cigars , Neptune and some others depending on what im looking for and what they have a deal on at the time , i like the deadwood cigars 

All of those mail order places are definitely worth checking out for someone starting. Or, if you find a brand or two you like at stores, then go to them for good prices on quantity.

Also, of course, if you are remote from a good cigar store, check them out forthwith...they are all long-established.

When Sassparilla Kid was born thirty and a half years ago I bought a box of Macanudos from the venerable Dunhill tobacconist in San Francisco's Financial District.  Not terrific, perhaps, but still quite nice.  And pricey.

It was fun watching peoples reactions when I'd give them one - most had raised eyebrows and smiles... these were not Roi Tans.   A few just looked puzzled - such a waste those few were!

Alas... Dunhill is no longer.  Fortunately, Macanudos are still available.  ^_^

Four from my original box remain in my humidor, awaiting a special occasion.  :)

image.thumb.jpeg.1a8a33ad97de69b570fdb71c0e48d160.jpeg

5 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Not too easy to answer........................

Try a bunch at random, find your flavor pallet and ring size by means of trial by error.

Archived