SASS Wire Forum

M1a socom

Trigger Mike

I am thinking of the one with the standard stock, not the pistol grip stock version.   How good is that rifle?  Do they make a 2 point tactical sling like you can get for the AR 15 that let's the rifle hang in front of your chest like for a road March etc?  

It'll likely be even heavier than normal as I want to get a mag pouch that holds 2 mags and put it on the sling near the butt swivel.  That way I always have extra ammo since I don't normally walk around with load bearing equipment anymore .  

One hell of a gun, that's for sure.

40 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I am thinking of the one with the standard stock, not the pistol grip stock version.   How good is that rifle?  Do they make a 2 point tactical sling like you can get for the AR 15 that let's the rifle hang in front of your chest like for a road March etc?  

Unless your road march is through Indian territory and you’re expecting contact, I would use a standard shoulder sling. It’s a heavy thing.

They call it an M1A SOCOM but if you look at the design and specifications, it has a lot more in common with the M14 that it does with the M1 Garand.

Excerpt form their advertising states "takes the M1A™ platform and shrinks it down to a remarkably compact and portable size. "  As I understand it the M14 was developed because WWII revealed that the M1 Garand had a few shortcomings that the War Department wanted to address.

JMHO but they are calling it the M1A SOCOM to invoke the sense of nostalgia that the M1 Garand name invokes. If they called it the M14 SOCOM it wouldn't sell nearly as well. 

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Unless your road march is through Indian territory and you’re expecting contact, I would use a standard shoulder sling. It’s a heavy thing.

I got used to carrying the m203 grenade launcher rifle that way , but I keep forgetting,  the only contact now is coyotes and foxes.  Once in a while a bobcat or black panther.  

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

M1A was based on the M14, and except for selective fire is pretty much identical

Other way around, the M14 is based on the M1.

M14 is about a pound lighter than the M1 due to using the shorter 7.62 X 51 cartridge. The addition of a removable magazine increased capacity. 

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ck out the 'loaded' model full size rifle

OLG 

Better looks, better ballistics at range and not quite the HUGE fireball that the shorter model has.  I'm with ya, Lumpy.

SOCOM 16 is what I'm jonesing fer.

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As I understand it the M14 was developed because WWII revealed that the M1 Garand had a few shortcomings that the War Department wanted to address.

They went to the 7.62 as standard for all NATO members which pretty much eliminated the M1. The M14 action is shorter to fit the shorter 7.62 round. 

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Other way around, the M14 is based on the M1.

M14 is about a pound lighter than the M1 due to using the shorter 7.62 X 51 cartridge. The addition of a removable magazine increased capacity. 

Sorta. The M14 was based on the M1 Garand. The Springfield M1A is basically a semi auto M14 as the AR15 is a semi M16. Not a real good name for the M1A but they didn't consult me. :P

JHC

3 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Sorta. The M14 was based on the M1 Garand. The Springfield M1A is basically a semi auto M14 as the AR15 is a semi M16. Not a real good name for the M1A but they didn't consult me. :P

JHC

Bingo!

I have an M1 Garand. For a long time I wanted an M1A because I used an M14 in the Navy. I converted my Garand to .308 because of the cost of 30.06 Garand friendly ammo in the late 90’s. 
My friend had an M1A, the full size model, and in comparison to my Garand I decided I liked my Garand more. Having 8 round clips is slightly inconvenient compared to a magazine for fast reloading, but in my opinion the loaded clips are easier to carry than those big ol’ boxy magazines. Also, it’s easier to shoot prone with the Garand. 

My 2 cents. 

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They call it an M1A SOCOM but if you look at the design and specifications, it has a lot more in common with the M14 that it does with the M1 Garand.

Excerpt form their advertising states "takes the M1A™ platform and shrinks it down to a remarkably compact and portable size. "  As I understand it the M14 was developed because WWII revealed that the M1 Garand had a few shortcomings that the War Department wanted to address.

JMHO but they are calling it the M1A SOCOM to invoke the sense of nostalgia that the M1 Garand name invokes. If they called it the M14 SOCOM it wouldn't sell nearly as well. 

It may be urban legend, but as I recall, the M1A came to be called that because Springfield Armory initially utilized surplus government issue parts, and to avoid confusion and other problems, called it something different. The "4" became a crude "A" with a little work, and was quick and easy.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:42 AM, Trigger Mike said:

Everyone I know who has one loves it.  It's a very high quality rifle, although there are one or two

other makers who make an even better version of the design albeit at almost half again the price.

It's big and heavy and tames the .308 nicely for days when you're shooting a lot.

At 8 1/2 lbs unloaded, add ammo, scope and sling and it breaks 11 lbs pretty easily.

Specter Gear makes a two point tactical sling for it, but is does not use the sling loops already

on the rifle.

https://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=545

I almost bought one in the wood/stainless bbl configuration, but decided my AR and a bolt gun

with scope covered my needs.  Still would be nice to have one in the safe though.

SC

On 2/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

"The M14 was based on the M1 Garand" is the BS the Ordinance Dept. told Congress to sell the M14.  They were lying when they said Garand tooling would be used to mfg. the M14.  The M14 required all new tooling.  I am sure the M14 debacle is why the small arms armories were closed.

Archived