SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Matches

Tequila Shooter

Soot Lords, I know a lot of clubs put on BP matches, but some do it just a little better.  Last year I went to MS State and they had a night BP side match now that was fun.  The other one that I went to was Dark Days held in January in FL by the Fort White Calvary Cowboys, a great 3 day match.  So, now I’m in search of other dedicated BP matches, which ones would you’d recommend?

I have shot Texas State Blackpowder twice.  It was large enough to have several posses.  Stages were simple, targets close, and some vendors.  No camping onsite due to unlevel terrain but campgrounds north, west and east of the host range.  Door prizes were great.

For me it's Smoke in the Woods at the middletown sportsmens club with the Big Iron Rangers. It's the North East Regional Black Powder match. I really enjoy that match. They also host their annual called Guns of August while it's not a dedicated black powder match I had an even better time there this past year. The cowpokes have an informal pot luck at the campgrounds friday night and it was just a great social event. 

Anything in KS, OK or MO?  If one of the above is, it's not apparent from the titles.

Smoke on the Mattaponi, the SASS Virginia State Blackpowder Championship.  Saturday June 25, 2022.

Hosted by the Mattaponi Sundowners at the West Point Gun Club in West Point, VA.  Great match run by a really  great club with even better people.  If you can make it to VA in June you won't be disappointed. 

Contact Potter County Kid at 97graves @ gmail.com for more information.

SASS Virginia State Blackpowder Championship Smoke on the Mattaponi
6/25/2022 - 6/25/2022
West Point, VA Potter County Kid
804-2 4 1- 5 4 1  3

Arkansas State Black Powder, Mayhem on the Mountain at Outlaw Camp, Heber Springs.  Normally has been in October.  2022 it’s April 22-24.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:15 PM, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

I really like dedicated black powder matches.  Dark Days is an EXCELLENT match that does it right.  I’m not sure you can call a match a black powder match when 75+% are shooting smokeless.

Smoke in the Woods has moved from April to June this year.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:26 PM, Bingo Montana said:

Smoke on the Mattaponi, the SASS Virginia State Blackpowder Championship.  Saturday June 25, 2022.

Hosted by the Mattaponi Sundowners at the West Point Gun Club in West Point, VA.  Great match run by a really  great club with even better people.  If you can make it to VA in June you won't be disappointed. 

Contact Potter County Kid at 97graves @ gmail.com for more information.

SASS Virginia State Blackpowder Championship Smoke on the Mattaponi
6/25/2022 - 6/25/2022
West Point, VA Potter County Kid
804-2 4 1- 5 4 1  3

That one’s a little too close to the ex-wife.  I’d hate to run into her and ruin a good time. 

The Indiana match at Paradise Pass is called Make Black Powder Great Again or MBPGA.  It is my understanding that it will be held on 27-28 August, 2022 which is a change from years past.

We had a great time last year and, good Lord willing, will be back this year.  Not only was it a fun match, but now it's just a stones throw from the new SASS headquarters!

Our club is hosting the Ohio State Blackpowder Championship on July 30th at the Sandusky County Sportsmen's Club II in Gibsonburg, Ohio.  Eight stages, plus lunch and dinner.  Details and registration form will be posted soon.

Archived