SASS Wire Forum

Walmart launches drones in NW Arkansas

sassnetguy50

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

now ya can practace skeet , with out going to the range 

break out the shotguns boys 

CB :P

this could end badly , gonna be fun to watch tho 

first thought: Arkansas would not be my first choice to test expensive, low flying machines.

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748

The highlights:

Walmart hired a drone delivery service that has been successful in Rowanda to deliver certain product lines within 50miles of it's corporate.  

The drones are 45 pounds with 11ft wingspan.  2.5hr battery.  Only one size box with parachute.  No altitude details are given, by my guess from the video:150ft at package release.  

Orders must be placed on a special Zip Walmart app.

a.jpg

wp-content-4.jpg

I know someone that doesn't think things through very well. He told me if he saw one by his house he would blast it. He got a dumb look on his face when I asked what if it was a delivery to him? From what I remember, it is illegal to shoot a drone in many states.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

So when my package lands on the neighbor's roof what am I supposed to do? :huh:

According to the video, the drone monitors the wind speed and direction to make a calculation on where to drop. They claim they can hit a spot the size of two parking spots.

4 minutes ago, Cholla said:

According to the video, the drone monitors the wind speed and direction to make a calculation on where to drop. They claim they can hit a spot the size of two parking spots.

Okay then... so what if I come home and it landed right in my burn barrel? <_<

19 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I know someone that doesn't think things through very well. He told me if he saw one by his house he would blast it. He got a dumb look on his face when I asked what if it was a delivery to him? From what I remember, it is illegal to shoot a drone in many states.

FAA considers drones to have equal protection as manned aircraft, making it a felony.

https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-2-aircraft-sabotage-18-usc-32

3 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

FAA considers drones to have equal protection as manned aircraft, making it a felony.

https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-2-aircraft-sabotage-18-usc-32

There’s already allot of felons out there that will be undeterred by that 

Hard to believe this could be done economically unless the package, and delivery fee, were quite expensive. And how does Walmart get their parachute back?  But if they’ve done hundreds of thousands of deliveries overseas they must be making it work. 

Seamus

4 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Hard to believe this could be done economically unless the package, and delivery fee, were quite expensive. And how does Walmart get their parachute back?  But if they’ve done hundreds of thousands of deliveries overseas they must be making it work. 

Seamus

The parachute in the video is just paper.

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Okay then... so what if I come home and it landed right in my burn barrel? <_<

I am guessing that if it coming by drone it is something you're needing in a hurry. In that case they would most likely provide real time tracking, just like the pizza companies and Uber/Lyft.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:23 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I don't care how my primers get here! Just get them here!

Hon, something just smashed into the car!

That must be my order from Scarlett!

I wonder how the drone would handle a couple thousand 45-70 bullets?

Archived