SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Train Song

The Little Engine that could.

I think I can, I think I can, I think can, I think I can...............I thought I could, I thought I could, I thought I could, I thought I could.

I remenber that from when I was a little kid, 75 years ago.

There's a couple of Blues songs that arent exactly about trains, but use the 'ride my train' metaphor for doing the hibbiddy-dibbiddy.

Smokestack Lightning (Howlin Wolf):

Whooo-oohhhh, stop your train

Let a, poor boy ride

Now don't ya hear me cryin'

Wooo-hooooo

Matchbox Blues (Albert King)

If ya got a good woman fella, 

You better pin her to her side yeah

'Cause if she flag my train brother,

I'm bound to let her ride

Gotta' see and hear this one!!  The band I'm in does this one, bur here's the master!!  LIVE

This one crossed my mind this morning.  The Monkees!!

On 8/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I never rode the City of New Orleans, but my grandparents would ride the Panama Limited from Chicago to Beloxi, MS.  I rode the Burlington Zephyrs from Chicago to downstate Illinois to see my other grandparents. Those were the days... Ninety miles or more an hour going through Aurora, Illinois. Dinner in the diner...yeah with all the silver ware and china dishes.  Sleeping in the bunk in a Pullman sleeping car, peeking out the window at the lights of the town we passed...when Mom thought I was asleep (I was about four years old).  Nobody made up a song about the Zephyrs :( But it was fun!  My model railroad has several Zephyrs on it.  Brings back great memories in spite of the fact it was at least 75 years ago!  :)

Archived