Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Farewell to Founders Ranch


Recommended Posts

On 2/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I have not heard on plans (if possible) of any action on the chappel.

Have y'all thought about moving the Chapel?  As sad as I am to say goodbye to Founder's Ranch, I am thankful we never built the Fort that Coyote Calhoun kept trying to talk us into.  It's enough to maintain the Gatling guns and other 'entertainment' for the shooters and public.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Black Hearted Pearl said:

Have y'all thought about moving the Chapel?  As sad as I am to say goodbye to Founder's Ranch, I am thankful we never built the Fort that Coyote Calhoun kept trying to talk us into.  It's enough to maintain the Gatling guns and other 'entertainment' for the shooters and public.

 

There is so much happening, very quickly.

I am sure that can be visited...and I am sure Misty will keep SASS members informed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I experienced FR..hopefully we  will get to  the new venue sometime  in the future but not getting the jab so who knows   !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Misty,

I am sorry to hear about Founders Ranch. I never got to visit or attend a match or event there. This is very sad news. 
 

I have some questions that some may deem as harsh, but I think need answers. 
 

Does this unfortunate event impact SASS in other ways that will have effects that may affect SASS’ future?


Is SASS as an organization or corporation safe?

 

Regardless of all the CoVid craziness, does it appear that SASS will be able to continue business as usual?

 

If there are issues, what can we do to help?

 

Thank you,

Kind regards 

Pat Riot

 

Edited due to fumble fingers...and auto communista  :unsure:

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not see this event as affecting the long term viability of SASS as an organization. Just looking at the financial reality of maintaining a facility that is (and has been historically) vasty underutilized from a  financial viewpoint. SASS does no own the ranch just leases it.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Only got there once. It was a great time. Loved all the vendors, store fronts and shooters. Shot a Gatling and a Maxim Gun. I honestly thought the stage designs weren’t much to brag on though. I shot a monthly match at the Comanche Valley Vigilantes many years ago, their stages were designed by Gunzilla and I still remember some of those. I’ve shot state match stages that were better too. We enjoyed day trips to Albuquerque and sightseeing on Rt 66. A great trip. Will always remember the first day’s shooters meeting and the warnings for the campers not to leave their little dogs outside so they didn’t get eaten and the warning about bubonic plague. Never had a shooters meeting quite like that one.  Sorry to see it fail, so much potential there. 

Edited by Baltimore Ed
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, Baltimore Ed said:

Only got there once. It was a great time. Loved all the vendors, store fronts and shooters. Shot a Gatling and a Maxim Gun. I honestly thought the stage designs weren’t much to brag on though. I shot a monthly match at the Comanche Valley Vigilantes many years ago, their stages were designed by Gunzilla and I still remember some of those. I’ve shot state match stages that were better too. We enjoyed day trips to Albuquerque and sightseeing on Rt 66. A great trip. Will always remember the first day’s shooters meeting and the warnings for the campers not to leave their little dogs outside so they didn’t get eaten and the warning about bubonic plague. Never had a shooters meeting quite like that one.  Sorry to see it fail, so much potential there. 

The warnings for pets were needed.  The area has packs of coyotes and a resident mountain lion.  There have been human cases of the plague in the same county as FR.  The props were suprisingly simple for a major match.  However, their open design made it easy for photography and for black powder smoke to dissipate.  Local shooting clubs suffer the most.  Three CAS clubs, a Wild Bunch club and a USPSA club no longer have a home.  A regional USPSA match has to relocate.  The best Sporting Clays range in the area is closing.  Many concealed carry qualifiers need to be relocated.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, it’s Friday. I guess @Misty Meadows 33126L is busy...

Who is Misty Meadows?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Who is Misty Meadows?

Awe Darnit!

 

I swear, sometimes, awe never mind

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Awe Darnit!

Senioritus, PR?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2021 at 6:02 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Misty,

I am sorry to hear about Founders Ranch. I never got to visit or attend a match or event there. This is very sad news. 
 

I have some questions that some may deem as harsh, but I think need answers. 

Pat, you get the gold star for this! Please accept my sincere thanks for posing these questions. I welcome the opportunity to have discussions such as these to eliminate any assumptions or speculations surrounding our organization or our sport. 
 

Does this unfortunate event impact SASS in other ways that will have effects that may affect SASS’ future?

This decision impacts SASS and our future positively. I know it is difficult to set aside our emotional ties to things sometimes, but SASS' decision to cease the operation of Founders Ranch was part and parcel of my #1 mission: to ensure the strength and viability of SASS for generations to come. Ceasing the operation of Founders Ranch puts valuable resources back into SASS as an organization that enables us to continue to strengthen the company and enrich benefits and services programs.


Is SASS as an organization or corporation safe?

Absolutely. SASS is whole, safe, resilient, and growing! 

 

Regardless of all the CoVid craziness, does it appear that SASS will be able to continue business as usual?

SASS Operations are in full swing and have been. Short of the mandated closures of our HQ Office (for 3 months in early 2020 and again for a "2 week reset" in November), we have been fully operational and continue to be. 

 

If there are issues, what can we do to help?

As has always been the case, SASS and the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting has always had THE greatest champions for our success- YOU. The members of SASS are our greatest asset- hands down. Continuing doing what you have all always done; share your passion for the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting and our organization!

 

Thank you,

Kind regards 

Pat Riot

 

Edited due to fumble fingers...and auto communista  :unsure:

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Misty Moonshine said:

 

Misty,

Thank you very much for your responses. You have made my day...month...year! :D

 

Awesome! :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2012 was our first EOT at Founders Ranch.   Cody James shooting with Pecos Clyde, Frank Stillwell and Nellie Blue.  This was an incredible experience.  I remember coming down the hill for the 1st time and I could not believe Cody James and myself were going to shoot in a World Championship with World Champions on our posse.  So many friends and so many incredible experiences.  Thank you to the Wild Bunch, Misty Moonshine and everyone involved for making this happen!!!  SASS Kicker signed up as a Cowboy Action Shooter at this event with only having the experience of shooting a 22lr and 410 shotgun one time in her life.  She was inspired after watching Holly Terror.  Dreams became realities at Founders Ranch.  Look forward to EOT in Phoenix!!!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

FR and EOT were like second homes to some of us Aussies in June.

I am fortunate to have done 2000, 2002, 2004 in Norco CA then 2006, 08, 09, 13 & 19 at FR from Australia at 16000 + miles return / year, not to mention the cost??

2014, 15, 16, 17, & 18 we were living in Oklahoma just down the road. :D A tank of gas there and a tank back.:wub:

Sure going to miss it, can't wait to escape this penal colony down under.:angry: and get back over there.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a warm, windless winter day at Founders Ranch for a Buffalo Range Riders match.  We had a very large turnout - not surprising given the circumstances.  The club voted to remain intact and seek a new range.  There are some possibilities but nothing immediately available.  After the match ten of us migrated to the 5-stand range to challenge the clays.  We were busting the flying clays pretty well (especially Tex and Mica McGuire) but the rabbits largely eluded us.  On the 28th before the farewell party there will be a 6-stage CAS match.  If decent weather we should have another record turnout.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kirk James said:

2012 was our first EOT at Founders Ranch.   Cody James shooting with Pecos Clyde, Frank Stillwell and Nellie Blue.  This was an incredible experience.  I remember coming down the hill for the 1st time and I could not believe Cody James and myself were going to shoot in a World Championship with World Champions on our posse.  So many friends and so many incredible experiences.  Thank you to the Wild Bunch, Misty Moonshine and everyone involved for making this happen!!!  SASS Kicker signed up as a Cowboy Action Shooter at this event with only having the experience of shooting a 22lr and 410 shotgun one time in her life.  She was inspired after watching Holly Terror.  Dreams became realities at Founders Ranch.  Look forward to EOT in Phoenix!!!

Kirk its hard to remember Cody ever being that little, really enjoyed watching him grow as a shooter and young man, we had many laughs out there, he has grown into a fine young man, look forward to seeing you guys again.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Yesterday was a warm, windless winter day at Founders Ranch for a Buffalo Range Riders match.  We had a very large turnout - not surprising given the circumstances.  The club voted to remain intact and seek a new range.  There are some possibilities but nothing immediately available.  After the match ten of us migrated to the 5-stand range to challenge the clays.  We were busting the flying clays pretty well (especially Tex and Mica McGuire) but the rabbits largely eluded us.  On the 28th before the farewell party there will be a 6-stage CAS match.  If decent weather we should have another record turnout.  

 

Edward, when we spoke at Regulators Revenge some months ago you had mentioned that several Albuquerque area clubs were considering whether a move to Founders Ranch was possible.  Do you know if any of that is still being considered?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

Edward, when we spoke at Regulators Revenge some months ago you had mentioned that several Albuquerque area clubs were considering whether a move to Founders Ranch was possible.  Do you know if any of that is still being considered?

I'll send you a PM.  No club is moving to FR.  Clubs resident there are looking for new ranges.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.