SASS Wire Forum

How many here hunt with BP cartridge?

Sixgun Symphony #62632

I hunt feral hogs, with a .50-70 Sharps. That is more fun than using my 30-40 Krag bolt action.

No, I don't post to youtube,

There is no feral hog season here, it is a year around hunting season on them. 

I am thinking about hunting them with my .58 caliber 1853 Enfield, reproduction. I'd like to see what a 500 grain hollow base minie bullet will do. 

I've taken a number of deer with "buffalo rifles" with cast lead and black powder.  Original flat spring Winchester Highwall 45-70.  Trapdoor Springfields 45-70 and 50-70.  I stopped hunting several years ago when there got to be no hunting to it. 

I have hunted using bp, for pigs and coyote but not for a long while.45-70 was the caliber, but not once the grass had turned brown here in the summer,to much of a fire hazard. I have started a fire shooting bp, fortunately a contained one

7 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Aw Gimmi a break, Black Powder won't kill nothin. :ph34r:

Several giant bison herds in the 1800s might disagree!:D

11 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I'd like to see what a 500 grain hollow base minie bullet will do. 

use it as intended and see how many hogs can be harvested per shot!

over on 'CAST BULLETS' in their loads for shotgun there is a long thred about 12ga hog hunting.  There is a lady who shot a Russian Boar about 450 lb and .690 balls bounced off it's shoulder.  Her husband shot and killed it the next day and balls only left a area under the hide with a red area.  She said that domestic hogs that have gone wild don't have the plate to protect the shoulder area and drop with broken shoulders and exit holes a lot of time

I am hoping the hogs I shoot, with my .58 caliber muzzleloader, will die from pneumonia, from all that wind blowing though that big hole in their hides!!!

Next rifle I try on hogs, after my .58, will be my 50-90 Sharps. 

Someone asked me, one time, why I shot such large calibers as the 50-90. I told them because they don't make a 75-90. 

W.K.

11 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Several giant bison herds in the 1800s might disagree!:D

Good 'ol Snakebite might still live in CA, but he are better edjumicated than most!  Sarcasm runs deep in that one!

I have hunted cow elk and mule deer with my Sharps in 45-70 and BP within the case.  The bullet was a .405 gr lead and its  effectiveness is based upon my ability to use the open sights at varying distances. No video, it just works well.  Animals were all taken at 75 to 100 yards.

Have taken deer with 45-110 Sharps in the past, 44WCF ‘73 goes most places with me, and hopefully going to see haw a 50-90 Sharps dies on Buffalo in the next year. 

Folks,

I have been hunting with BP for over 55 years.

Deer, elk, antelope, rockchucks, coyotes and finally "Africa"!!

I used a 40-70 Sharps Straight with hand cast medium soft lead bullet powered by BP (Snakebite, check it out)  Federal Magnum primer and a combination of wads and lube.

It was effective to 350M for an Gemsbok, 200m Waterbuck,  130(+-)m Impala (x3), 70m Zebra, 120m Eland, 276m Blesbok,  a running Warthog at 50m, a 200m Kudo and a few incidental camp animals by the land owner.  What a hoot!

Upon arrival and a trip to the shooting range to check zero all the ;"team"  tracker, guide, skinner and beaters were watching the first shot.  But when it went off with a belch of  flame, a cloud smoke and a roar unheard of before they were 100m down the path thinking it had blown up....

Anyway after three trips with these folks they became accustomed to the experience and we all had a great time.

The other BP powered hunting a Bison hunt in February  (read cold) was with ion.  One shot with my  62 cal. Hawken, I had built for competition, and fortunately well placed.  A couple elk and one deer were all it had to its credit.

BP is a challenge after trying to follow in hunting areas that have been prostituted by .308" to .323" (or larger) magnu-mags with 24x lenses  and range finder to within 30 m.  So appreciate that We can still have as much fun in "HUNTING".

Ol'  #4

Antelope, deer, elk, moose and a wolf have succumbed to the 650 grain postells in my C. Sharps .50-140. I am a revolver hunter but satisfied my urge to use warthog loads of Holy Black on a few occasions.   FUN!!!  :)

I have killed Deer with my .45 Colt using 255 gr RNFP Bullets Cast Soft ,,,, And With my .40-65 High-wall using 370 gr SP cast bullets both powered by Goex ....  History has proven black powder to work just fine .... I have Killed Black Bears with .50 and 54 Cal. Muzzle loaders with Round Balls ....

Jabez Cowboy

My neighbor has had excellent luck with his .54 caliber flintlock on both deer and bears with complete pass-thru. Using 85 grains of 2F real black. I haven't been lucky enough to find a critter to put in the freezer with mine in 50 cal. BP will do the job!

Archived