SASS Wire Forum

Great Silent Movies.

Warden Callaway

When I saw the title of this thread, THE GENERAL immediately popped into my mind.

That is a most excellent movie. Even if those War of 1861 soldiers are using five and a half inch Single Action Armies and Trapdoor Springfields. :)

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

He and Harold Lloyd were the funniest of all in my book.

Lloyd was a comedy genius!

28 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I think it was Lloyd that lost a finger, or fingers, in an accident, and then wore a glove to hide the fact.

It did not seem to slow him down one bit.

Gotta have a lot of respect for him, and for his tenacity.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0516001/trivia?item=nt0199024

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

The guy running the engine is Al St. John.  Buster Keaton is an indian. Directed by Fatty Arbuckle. 

Apart from the slapstick, the film is a pretty decent representation of railway travel in the early 19th Century.  If the engine and cars are correct for the period then they were around 100 years old the time. 

The second half of Harold Lloyd's Safety Last is some of the greatest all-time movie making.  I know how it was done.  I've seen it a hundred times.  Still makes me cringe and cover my eyes!  Outstanding!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have always very much enjoyed the last 2 minutes of Thelma and Louise with volume muted. Does that count?

I've only ever watched two silent films.  One was, "The Birth of a Nation," which was a huge KKK recruiting film in the 19-teens.  The other was "Nesferatu," which was an obvious plagiarism of Dracula.  I didn't mind Nesferatu, but the first one made me recoil in horror!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The original versions of Tarzan and Ben-Hur are very hard to beat.

Ben-Hur:

My grandfather, John Windlinger, had a major contract making the leather harnesses and the leather cuirasses for the 1925 Ben-Hur.  

My grandfather Windlinger was a leather smith  in Inglewood, California.  He made saddles and gun rigs for all the B-Western Hollywood Cowboys.  I saw one of the saddles he made for Roy Rodgers.

A Windlinger Saddle

AbSOXB.jpg

Archived