SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

08/18/2020 pm. "I visited Michele today and found her full of smiles. Her speech seems to improve each day as I understood most of what she said. While there she had a good muscle spasm in that right leg that she could definitely feel.
Kay W, thank you for the card and gift.
Ed E, I don't have access to Michele's email. Please feel free to send to my email freddy.hunter@ roche.com.
Good night all."

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never met this lady, but she is my prayers as my Mom went through that some years ago. Wish her well.

0/23/2020 pm. "Michele continues to slowly improve. This weekend some of her words and phrases are clear as a bell. Until she gets total use out of the right side of her tongue, some of her words will not come out right. She told her speech therapist that she wanted Italian food for her Saturday evening meal. So I brought her shrimp alfredo from Olive Garden. The huge smiles and sounds of total satisfaction were awesome. Sunday, Astrid and I visited and she was thrilled to see her baby. With any luck, the rehab will open for visitations on Aug 28. I am not holding my breath though."

08/26/2020 pm. "I witnessed something absolutely amazing today. Michele asked her nurse to facetime me while she was doing her physical therapy. Michele is at the parallel bars in her wheelchair. She says hi to me and then she stands up. She walks unassisted for 10 ft, turns around, walks back 10 ft, turns around and repeats the scenario. 40 ft unassisted walking in total and you better believe it brought tears to my eyes. Once she was finished, she turned back around and set in her wheelchair, a little winded but still smiling. She waved at me and said goodbye. She is working so very hard to come back to us. I could not be more proud. Good night all."

Long arduous process with each day progress.  Believe it is time to ask my religion,.  St Pio for Devine healing power

Allie, thank you for your updates and believe her progress brings a smile to us and continued therapy progress

09/01/2020 pm. "I got back early enough to visit my sweet angel at her window. She was in a very happy mood and full of smiles. We talked for a while and I was able to get quite a few laughs out of her. She told me how well she did in her therapy sessions and she was quite happy with her progress. She looks absolutely amazing and her face was just glowing. From what I gathered, the outside visitation did not occur today due to the constant rain. I will contact the rehab center in the am to get the visitation details. Once I receive them, I will share them. Good night all."

09/02/2020 PM. "So, today is the big day where I get to see Michele and not from a window. Let me begin by saying the new visitation process is total BS. I called the rehab this morning to schedule a 4 pm visit. I am told that I have to wear a mask, no big deal, the visit will be outside for 30 min. So I get there, Michele is just inside the door with a huge smile on her face and full of anticipation. A staff member does a temp screen on me and ask the usual screening questions. She lets Michele out the door and then she tells us that we have to stay 6ft apart during the whole visit. WHAT?!!!!! Then why the hell did I just go through a screening process. I look at Michele's face and see immediate disappointment. So as we are sitting there 6ft apart, Michele keeps reaching for me and I can't even hold her hand. To top that off, a staff member is watching every move we make. Michele gets so upset and breaks down crying. It breaks my heart but I manage to hold it together for her. After the visit was over, we agreed not to go through that again. We will just keep the window visitation. For those of you wanting to go through that BS visitation process, visitation is M-F only, 10-1230, 2pm-430 and must be scheduled, call. 501-623-3781. Sorry I don't have better news."

09/06/2020 pm. "To all the cowgirls and cowboys that were at Shootin in the Shade, Michele and I wanted to thank you for the generous support you have extended to us. All the proceeds will go towards Michele's continued rehab. Michele asked me to thank you and to tell you she missed yall and loves yall. When I told her what you did for her this weekend, tears ran down her cheeks. She loves her cowboy family and misses them dearly. She wanted me to tell you that she will continue to fight to get better for she is a very determined lady.
Michele had a very exciting weekend with all the visits from her cowgirls and cowboys. The staff told me that she had been on cloud 9 all weekend. Thanks to all that took time to visit. There is not a doubt in my mind that those visits continue to help her heal. She wanted me to thank Mimsey for creating the Velvet Glove award. When I told her the award was presented to Sassy Boots, the tears of joy were flowing. Thank you Sassy for keeping all of the cowboy/cowgirl family updated with Michele's progress. Django, Michele was so touched by your actions of donating your award buckle in her honor and yes the tears of joy were flowing again.
Michele continues to get stronger each week so you better believe we will get our beloved Velvet Glove back! Good night all."

09/07/2020 pm. "I visited Michele this evening and she was still on cloud 9 after her busy weekend. She was still talking about all her visitors. She promised me she would continue to work hard this week during therapy. I gazed upon her bed and saw numerous get well cards. She absolutely loves getting cards so please keep them coming.
A special thank you to Kay W for the gift and Jennifer J for the wolf necklace. Michele greatly appreciated them. These words were on a card attached to the necklace, "I am Wolf. It is my nature to be kind, gentle, and loving. But know this: when it comes to matters of protecting my friends, my family, and my heart, do not trifle with me. For I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know." I believe these words describe Michele to the t."

09/09/2020 am. "I got back early enough to visit Michele this evening and was greated by an excited and very clear "hello baby"! It warms my heart to hear that. Michele proceeded telling me about her therapy today. She walked 50 ft today, unassisted on the parallel bars! She told me she is getting stronger every week! Her strength and dedication continue to amaze me."

I have not met this lady or you Allie, but you are both on my prayer list.

09/13/2020 pm. "Saturday I arrived at her window. She comes around the corner in her wheelchair with a huge grin and states very clearly "what are you doing?" I brought her shrimp diablo extra spicy for her meal. She ate a shrimp and shook her head with satisfaction. I asked if they were spicy enough and she said " oh yeah". She finished the shrimp and started to visit with me. I asked her if she was going to finish her supper and she states very clearly " I will eat when you leave".
Sunday, Astrid and I visited her and Michele pet Astrid through her window screen. I even got Astrid to sing for Michele's delight. As Michele and I were visiting, she pointed to her right leg and to my amazement, she lifted her leg from the floor bending it at the knee. I asked her if she could do that again and she did. Yes tears welled up in my eyes. It is amazing watching her get stronger with each week. I have never seen a stronger and determined lady in my life."

09/19/2020 pm. "I was able to visit Michele Friday evening. I found her happy and full of smiles. I asked her if she walked any this week and she stated " I walked a lot". I spoke with her speech therapist and she said Michele had made brownies this week. She had Michele read all the recipe instructions out loud which she did great. Michele asked for shrimp alfredo for her Saturday meal so I brought her some. She ate a few bites, which she enjoyed and then covered her plate. She wanted to visit me and she would eat later. I told her Astrid and I would visit tomorrow and she got excited. I had to break some bad news to her about our dear cowboy
friend Just L. Michele just hung her head and cried.
I knew she would want to know. Michele dearly loves Just L and her husband Fly."

09/25/2020 pm. "Well Michele had her world turned upside down this week. Early in the week some nursing home staff and residents tested positive for Covid. They removed all patients from the rehab wing and converted it to a Covid patient wing. All rehab patients got relocated to nursing home rooms. Michele did adjust to the sudden change. I visited her this afternoon at her new room window. She was so very happy to see me and I her. She broke down a little but she cheered up as our visit continued. Before I visited her, I spoke to the therapy director and she said Michele is doing great! They placed blocks on the parallel bar walking path to simulate steps and had Michele step over them which she did. They had Michele walking with a wheeled walker this week and better yet, they had her walking with a quad cane! She is progressing great! She also said Michele was comprehending everything that was said to her. Her speech is better on some days. I told Michele that I heard her walking therapy was going great and she smiled big and said " I know." Bottom line she has shown great progress this week. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers."

:wub:

09/26/2020 pm. "First let me begin by thanking Kay W for the gift.
The progress Michele has made in a week is absolutely amazing. I see her comprehension has vastly improved as well as her physical strength and I love seeing her sassy personality coming back. This evening I brought her garlic shrimp for her favorite mexican restaurant, that she requested yesterday. She enjoyed it greatly and thanked me. One of her sisters sent her an LSU shirt and when I asked her today if she had received it she said with a grin " um hum and GO TIGERS" as she laughed. I told her that if her progress keeps up at this pace she will be going home soon. She looked it me, smiled, and held her hand up in a victory pose and said "home"! That is her goal and she knows she is getting much closer to it. Good night all."

• 2 weeks later...
10/4/2020 pm. Message from Freddy about Michele Hunter, Velvet Glove. "Michele update: I visited Michele Fri-Sun evening. Each time I was greated by her smiling face. I talked to the therapy director and she said her walking continues to improve as well as her speech. We both noticed that Michele is starting to bend her right arm at the elbow instead of just letting the arm hang. This week Michele got moved again. They are still trying to get ahold of this Covid. All Covid pts have been moved to A hall and the rehab wing is being disinfected. According to the administrator, they are trying to get the rehab pts back to the rehab wing. All for now. Thanks again for all the cards, thoughts, and prayers."

10/10/2020 pm. "Michele update: First thank you John Ringo and Calamity Annie for the necklace. Michele loved it!
Friday I found Michele very happy and glad to see me. She said she had worked hard this week walking and even trying to work that right arm and hand. I noticed that she is still bending that right elbow and holding up that right arm. This evening I was pleasantly surprised when Michele greeted me at the door while I was delivering supper. We had a good visit at her window and I showed her the gifts she had received. Her speech seems to be approving each week. I received a call from the case worker and they are in the process of getting the PEG tube removed. Michele is thrilled to have this last tube removed soon. I received a DVD of the movie Michele worked on and acted in "Indians, Outlaws, Marshals, and the Hangin Judge", thank you Dogtown Dave. I watched it tonight with my parents and it is a very good documentary. I could not be more proud of Michele. Goodnight all."

10/18/2020 am. "First thank you Kay W for the gift and thank you RIP A Lot for the Halloween kitty. Michele loved it.
On Tue this week, Michele was moved back to the rehab wing into her old private room. The staff told me she was excited to get back there. I was able to see my angel late Friday evening. At her window we talked, laughed, and even shared a few tears. She looks amazing. She told me she worked hard again in therapy and made some more progress this week. The electro therapy being done on her right arm definitely seems to be helping. She is able to bend her arm at the elbow. Today, I brought her Chinese food, hot Chile sauce shrimp, fried rice, and an egg roll for supper. She devoured it and not once did she say it was too spicy. That's my little pepper belly for sure. She still has her PEG tube. Everything is moving so slow due to Covid. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be removed this month. Tomorrow Astrid and I get to visit her. Michele is looking forward to that since she has not seen her baby in 3 weeks. Good night all."

10/25/2020 "Michele update:
Michele is doing absolutely amazing.  I received a face time call from her nurse Friday morning.  I saw Michele walk on her own holding on to the therapist arm for balance if she needed it. It was such an amazing thing to see.  I am so very proud of her.  I noticed Saturday when she was eating her Mexican shrimp that the right side of her mouth has improved greatly.   She no longer has an issue eating on that side. Her speech has shown more improvement also.
Just when I thought 2020 could not get any worse, last night I lost Atlas.  He passed on the way to the emergency vet. Atlas was Michele's largest wolf that she raised from birth.  I had to break the news to her today. She was very upset and we both shared some tears.  We talked about the good times we had with him. I had her in better mood when I left and I asked the nurse to keep an eye on her since she lost one of her babies. Michele told me she would continue working hard in her therapy this week."

Sorry to hear of the loss of Atlas but I am sure the good times will be remember for a long time.  So very glad Michele continues to improve and is working hard with her therapy.

10/31/2020 pm. "Michele update:
First, thank you Kay W for the gift.
Michele continues to slowly improve.  I spoke with her physical therapist this week and he said they are working on her balance now as she continues her walk therapy. Her speech therapist has Michele saying her phrases to a tune.  She says Michele does that perfectly.  When Michele tries to talk quickly however, her speech can be a little garbled. As long as she slows down and thinks before speaking, her words come out very clearly. I received word that the PEG tube will be removed on Nov 4.  Michele is excited about getting it removed.  Hopefully another step getting her closer to coming home."

Michele Hunter (Velvet Glove) update:
11/2/2020 pm. "Today, my angel and I celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary. I made sure I got off work in time to visit her on this special day.  I stopped by our local chocolate shop and got some gourmet chocolates for her.  At her window, instead of sharing an anniversary meal, we shared chocolates. We had a great window visit talking and laughing. I received some videos today from Michele's speech therapist.  It is amazing how clear her speech is getting.  She still has a few issues with certain letters however that makes her work that much harder.  She knows when she doesn't pronounce a word correctly and repeats it till it comes out correctly. She is such a fighter and a great inspiration and I am so very proud of her and so very proud that she is my wife..."

We’re so glad that Michelle continues to improve and that her phenomenal will is carrying her so far!!! 

Sometimes the miracle is the person and not the event...

11/8/2020 pm. "Michele update: 
She finally got the PEG tube removed on the 4th and she is so happy to have the last tube removed.  I was fortunate enough to meet her at the clinic and finally got to hug her and hold her hand. It has been almost 8 months since I last got to touch her. It did us both some good. Her therapy is going well and her physical therapist has ordered her a different leg brace to aid her walking.  She still enjoys all the cards that are sent to her.  The staff says she is the most popular patient there. Her speech continues to improve as long as she thinks before she tries to talk.  If she talks in a hurry, you can't always understand her. I tell her to open her mouth wide and her speech is more clear. She is more determined than ever to get well enough to come home."

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
11/8/2020 pm. "Michele update: 
She finally got the PEG tube removed on the 4th and she is so happy to have the last tube removed.  I was fortunate enough to meet her at the clinic and finally got to hug her and hold her hand. It has been almost 8 months since I last got to touch her. It did us both some good. Her therapy is going well and her physical therapist has ordered her a different leg brace to aid her walking.  She still enjoys all the cards that are sent to her.  The staff says she is the most popular patient there. Her speech continues to improve as long as she thinks before she tries to talk.  If she talks in a hurry, you can't always understand her. I tell her to open her mouth wide and her speech is more clear. She is more determined than ever to get well enough to come home."

Brings a tear to my eye just reading this post. So happy for the both of you. 

• 2 weeks later...

11/22/2020 pm. "Michele update: another week and Michele continues to heal.  Her PEG site is looking much better with hardly any drainage. Her spirits are great and she told me to say hello to all her FB friends. Every staff member I speak to tells me how well Michele is recovering. Still waiting on her new leg brace to arrive.  I wanted to thank all who send Michele cards. These really make her happy and keep her motivated. Thank you Kay W for the gift and Michele absolutely loved the wolf card."

11/29/2020 pm "Hello all from Michele and Freddy. Michele asked me to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. My angel continues her fight to get better each day. We are hoping her new leg brace makes it in this week.  I was fortunate to visit her each day of this long holiday weekend.  I showed her the many pictures that people had sent, many which included new pets, which Michele absolutely loves.  Saturday my sister visited Michelle with her two new puppies. Michele was all smiles and kept saying "how cute".  Michele continues to become more independent each week. I am so hoping this new leg brace works well for her so we can get her home.  Keep the cards coming for those help keep her motivated."

Here's hoping that we see photos of this wonderful lady sitting next to her own Christmas tree in a couple of weeks!!  I spent last Christmas in the rehab facility.  Despite numerous visitors and great help and lots of attention from the doctors and staff, Christmas in a bed other than your own is a very lonely thing!!

Best Wishes again for Michelle and Freddy in the new holiday season!!

Michele Hunter (Velvet Glove) Update, 12/06/2020 pm. "Michele continues to improve and I am told that the majority of her walking is now done with just a quad cane. Staff says she continues being more and more independent. Staff also states that she is the sweetest and most kind resident there. Imagine that! She is also the most popular according to the staff because she receives more cards than anyone. Today Astrid and I visited her at her window. Astrid did something different this visit. She started whining when she saw Michele, tail wagging excessively, put her front paws on the window ledge, and leaned her body into the screen so Michele could pet and love on her. It was the sweetest site and Michele was thrilled." :wub:

Archived