SASS Wire Forum

Drawing The Short Straw

Yul Lose

Visited the local hardware store this morning and as I was checking out I noticed the two 20ish clerks at the check out counter and an older guy probably in his late 50’s with a feather duster dusting items and shelves. I asked the two girls if he’d drawn the short straw and the blond laughed and said that yep he did and the guy laughed too. The other lady had no clue what we were talking about and asked what that meant. So I tried to explain it and she was still clueless and asked why we would draw straws. The other clerk told me not to say anymore because the other clerk would just get more confused and would be talking about it the rest of the day. The guy was just standing back listening and chuckling.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should have ask'd miss dim-wit for her crayon, and then drew her a picture of a short straw. :lol:

OLG

I actually think that she thought I was talking about drawing a straw on a piece of paper and the way the guy and the other clerk were acting I think I’m right.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

I actually think that she thought I was talking about drawing a straw on a piece of paper and the way the guy and the other clerk were acting I think I’m right.

YUP-Agree 110%.......:lol:

OLG

I’ve got a couple of chuckles out of it just thinking about it after I got home.

Or the always hilarious Monty Python.

https://dai.ly/x2o3z4t

2019_07_21_03_44_08.png.4065a36381eee071b84f7d922ecfba3d.png

I read somewhere we could cripple a whole generation by going back to stick shift vehicles and writing in cursive.         GW

I decided the younger generation wasn't too bright, when I watched a little bit of by play between Tim McGee and Abby Sciuto.

McGee said something about "clutching at straws".

Abby made a nice long monologue where she explained that she was a scientist, and as a scientist she was precise.

She said the phrase should be, "clutching at hollow polystyrene tubes".

Because, obviously, the only straw she had ever heard of was a drinking straw. She did not know about dried grass.

Apparently this young lady had never heard of dried grass either.

Then there are the comments in this thread about "a box of straws", and, "plastic straws", which sorta makes me wonder about some of y'all.

9 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

I read somewhere we could cripple a whole generation by going back to stick shift vehicles and writing in cursive.         GW

Crank windows, manual choke, air locks, all that good stuff;)

Then again we could send them Alpo and Worthless

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I will be 77 in a couple of days. Believe it or not, I learned to drive at age 16...on automatic transmission cars, including the drivers' ed course in high school! It wasn't until I got in the Air Force and had to drive stick shift pickup trucks, that an E-6 taught me how to slip the clutch.  As to cursive writing, the big city elementary schools taught cursive in 3rd grade. But when we moved to the suburbs in 7th grade, I found that none of the kids had been taught cursive!  And those schools were supposed to be better than the city schools!  Can we say, "Transition Era", boys and girls?

I was taught "real writing" in the third grade. I think I was in high school when I learned it was called "cursive". I also learned about "capital letters" and "little letters", not "upper and lower case".

Drivers Ed learned us on automatics. Then Daddy taught me how to drive a standard.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

I was taught "real writing" in the third grade. I think I was in high school when I learned it was called "cursive". I also learned about "capital letters" and "little letters", not "upper and lower case".

Drivers Ed learned us on automatics. Then Daddy taught me how to drive a standard.

My dad taught me "stick" on our neighbor's Nash Rambler. 3 on the tree! My dad had a 57 Chevy automatic that I learned on and also took my test with.

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I will be 77 in a couple of days. Believe it or not, I learned to drive at age 16...on automatic transmission cars, including the drivers' ed course in high school! It wasn't until I got in the Air Force and had to drive stick shift pickup trucks, that an E-6 taught me how to slip the clutch.  As to cursive writing, the big city elementary schools taught cursive in 3rd grade. But when we moved to the suburbs in 7th grade, I found that none of the kids had been taught cursive!  And those schools were supposed to be better than the city schools!  Can we say, "Transition Era", boys and girls?

My wife's first vehicle to drive was a army jeep back in 64. She drove stick all her life till she turned 71 and that was her first automatic transmission vehicle, a Prius.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:36 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My dad taught me "stick" on our neighbor's Nash Rambler. 3 on the tree! My dad had a 57 Chevy automatic that I learned on and also took my test with.

3 on the tree. 

My Lord! it's been a while since I heard that.

My son and I have almost finished the restoration of our '62 VW Beetle and it's transformation into HERBIE!

My son is looking askance at the stick shift and clutch, so it looks like I'll be doing some instructing.

20190125_101850.jpg

On 7/22/2019 at 5:59 AM, Alpo said:

Then there are the comments in this thread about "a box of straws", and, "plastic straws", which sorta makes me wonder about some of y'all.

Pot, meet Kettle :D

I learned to drive in a 1952 ford sedan.  Three on the tree and an inline 6.  Lordy I could make that thing buck until I learned how to slip the clutch.

Duffield

One of my goals in life is to again own an old (pre '73) Chevy pickup with a straight six and 3 on the tree.  No AC, just open the little vent windows, remember those?  Ignition switch on the dash below the AM radio, and high beam flasher on the floorboard.  Rubber floor mats, bench seat, and wooden bed.

One thing's for sure.  Very few people would know how to steal it.

Another of my early vehicles was a '49 Chevy Deluxe 4 door.  The 6 volt headlights were a joke, as were the vacuum powered windshield wipers.  But it rode like a dream, and you could square dance in that big back seat.  Lots of fun at the drive-in theatre.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

One of my goals in life is to again own an old (pre '73) Chevy pickup with a straight six and 3 on the tree.  No AC, just open the little vent windows, remember those?  Ignition switch on the dash below the AM radio, and high beam flasher on the floorboard.  Rubber floor mats, bench seat, and wooden bed.

One thing's for sure.  Very few people would know how to steal it.

Another of my early vehicles was a '49 Chevy Deluxe 4 door.  The 6 volt headlights were a joke, as were the vacuum powered windshield wipers.  But it rode like a dream, and you could square dance in that big back seat.  Lots of fun at the drive-in theatre.

I put an 8 volt battery in my 52 International pickup and it helped a lot.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I put an 8 volt battery in my 52 International pickup and it helped a lot.

Now that's interesting.  Back in those days, I only had access to 6 or 12 volt batteries.  The wiring would hold up to 12 volts, but the headlamps wouldn't.  I bet it would spin the hell out of that starter, though!

1 minute ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Now that's interesting.  Back in those days, I only had access to 6 or 12 volt batteries.  The wiring would hold up to 12 volts, but the headlamps wouldn't.  I bet it would spin the hell out of that starter, though!

Yes the starter turned faster which was nice on cold mornings. I bought my 8 volt batteries from the local Co-oP. I replaced the vacuum wiper with an electric one out of a wrecked Buick.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yes the starter turned faster which was nice on cold mornings. I bought my 8 volt batteries from the local Co-oP. I replaced the vacuum wiper with an electric one out of a wrecked Buick.

Now that's cool.  Wish I had thought of that.  The weird thing about vacuum wipers is, they run wide ass open when you're sitting and idling at a red light, then they virtually stop when you start accelerating.  They eventually catch back up to speed when you get up to speed and the vacuum levels out again.  So, they work backwards of what you really need.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Love that Bug, Cold Lake Kid :D

Some further modifications on it now. 

A friend, former NASA engineer, came up and installed a computer and some other things that allow ole HERBIE to do a couple of entertaining things.

I taught my Kids to drive Stick Shift Cars , Tractors,,,, etc...

Drove my Father-in-laws Dodge Van with 3 0n the tree delievering Eggs ....

My VW wagon is a 5 speed ....With-out anything to indicate Shift pattern ,,,, No one will steal it ....

Jabez Cowboy

Several times recently on the local news there have been reports of idiot thieves that weren't able to steal someone's car or truck because it had standard transmission.  I learned with 3 on the tree in a 53 Chevy and actually prefer standard except on hills and in 5 o'clock freeway stop and go traffic, but with a bad knee and standard being hard to find nowadays, I drive an automatic now.

Archived