SASS Wire Forum

Shaving - y’all were right!

So....the last couple months I decided to try the double edge safety razor with a Mekur 23C over my many-bladed Schick (and previously Gillette) and Barbasol..... and wow! It takes a little more time, but really enjoy shaving. It’s almost therapy!!

GG

056F01AE-5286-4583-96C4-AA1DACF3DFBA.jpeg

Can’t do it anymore. Old skin doesn't Take well to the blade these days. Norelco floating heads suffice. ;)

20 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Can’t do it anymore. Old skin doesn't Take well to the blade these days. Norelco floating heads suffice. ;)

Hope I get to have the privilege to enjoy the Norelco someday  :D 

GG

Years ago I went away from shaving cream and razors to an electric razor. 

I tried the old style of shaving for a while but I just like the convenience of electric shaving. I have been using a Braun cordless shaver for over 15 years now. The same shaver. You can’t beat that for savings over blades and cream over years. The battery is finally giving up and I will probably buy another one.

My son-in-law was trying to talk me into going with a straight razor, brush and soap a while back. Some folks take this “Manly-Man” thing a little too serious. :lol:

I’ll be skipping the straight razor thing. I don’t have enough good luck to be tempting death by a thousand cuts every morning. ;)

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Years ago I went away from shaving cream and razors to an electric razor. 

I tried the old style of shaving for a while but I just like the convenience of electric shaving. I have been using a Braun cordless shaver for over 15 years now. The same shaver. You can’t beat that for savings over blades and cream over years. The battery is finally giving up and I will probably buy another one.

My son-in-law was trying to talk me into going with a straight razor, brush and soap a while back. Some folks take this “Manly-Man” thing a little too serious. :lol:

I’ll be skipping the straight razor thing. I don’t have enough good luck to be tempting death by a thousand cuts every morning. ;)

I don't know about this "Manly-Man" stuff - just know that going from a Gillette type to what I am doing now is more enjoyable...i tried an electric when i was younger, it was ok. Went back to a Gillette type as it was a closer shave. As UB points out it may be back in my future IF I reach the future ;) 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have a beard so I only shave my neck and a little part of my face so it doesn't grow all the way up to my eyes!:lol:

I have a Braun electric that does just fine! Quick too!!;)

1 hour ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

I don't know about this "Manly-Man" stuff - just know that going from a Gillette type to what I am doing now is more enjoyable...i tried an electric when i was younger, it was ok. Went back to a Gillette type as it was a closer shave. As UB points out it may be back in my future IF I reach the future ;) 

:) My "Manly Man" comment wasn't a slight on anyone. Lots of 20 and 30 year old guys are going retro and using straight razors for shaving and hair gel in their hair. It's a fad. I call it the "Manly Man Fad". :D

1170094127_Facecutsandtissue.jpg.b8c1b24ac38db42ae6091e2a73f2603d.jpg

Unfortunately for me, blade razors of any kind are not my friend.

Like Utah Bob, electric floating head razors give me the smooth shaves the wife :wub:.

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:) My "Manly Man" comment wasn't a slight on anyone. Lots of 20 and 30 year old guys are going retro and using straight razors for shaving and hair gel in their hair. It's a fad. I call it the "Manly Man Fad". :D

Didn't  take it that way - just don't know about "Manly-Man" stuff. Hope these 20 and 30 year old guys enjoy this "retro" thing - and good for them for bringing back an enjoyable way of shaving. I wish I found this fad sooner :lol:. Instead I found it right here on the Wire a few years ago!

53 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Like Utah Bob, electric floating head razors give me the smooth shaves the wife :wub:.

Well, well, looks who's back on the Wire again!  Welcome back FKCGG!

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Hey, who are you, total stranger?

Glad to see you back.  You were missed.

13 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

So....the last couple months I decided to try the double edge safety razor with a Mekur 23C over my many-bladed Schick (and previously Gillette) and Barbasol..... and wow! It takes a little more time, but really enjoy shaving. It’s almost therapy!!

GG

056F01AE-5286-4583-96C4-AA1DACF3DFBA.jpeg

I use Colonel Ichabod  Conk's shaving soap (has a hint of Bay Rum to it) in an old fashioned rubber shaving cup.  I use a Merkur brand safety razor with either Wilkinson Sword or Astra brand blades.  Astra is harder to find, but it's a great blade and costs less.  My brush is a generic shaving brush that I bought at Wally World.  

Look up Col. Conk's on line.  I buy nine cakes (three packs of three each) at a time. I put two in a Pyrex measuring cup, and melt it before pouring it into the rubber cup.

I finish off the shave with Grand Bay Bay rum.  I liked Dominica better but they stopped making it a couple of years back.  Another good choice is Penaud's Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum, but it smells "sweeter" to me.

I don't do much to pamper myself, but a real hot old fashioned shave is one of my luxuries.   A good shave takes about 25 minutes total and it's worth it to me.

PS: I tried a straight razor many years ago.  It didn't suit me very well, but the artificial ear isn't very noticeable.   :blink:

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I use Colonel Ichabod  Conk's shaving soap (has a hint of Bay Rum to it) in an old fashioned rubber shaving cup.  I use a Merkur brand safety razor with either Wilkinson Sword or Astra brand blades.  Astra is harder to find, but it's a great blade and costs less.  My brush is a generic shaving brush that I bought at Wally World.  

Look up Col. Conk's on line.  I buy nine cakes (three packs of three each) at a time. I put two in a Pyrex measuring cup, and melt it before pouring it into the rubber cup.

I finish off the shave with Grand Bay Bay rum.  I liked Dominica better but they stopped making it a couple of years back.  Another good choice is Penaud's Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum, but it smells "sweeter" to me.

I don't do much to pamper myself, but a real hot old fashioned shave is one of my luxuries.   A good shave takes about 25 minutes total and it's worth it to me.

PS: I tried a straight razor many years ago.  It didn't suit me very well, but the artificial ear isn't very noticeable.   :blink:

Thanks pard for your post :) 

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Uh...  What is this "razor" thing of which y'all speak...?   :rolleyes:

1335902135_QHardpan.jpg.1a3d815b5c72349d54692ffc0f6ce516.jpg

You look pretty ;)

Grew up on the old safety razor. But the new disposable triple blades work better for me, closer smoother quicker shaves. Maybe if I had time to make it a ritual I would consider going back to a nice metal safety razor. Tried the electric razors twice over the years and they never worked well for me, never as clean or smooth as a shave, took longer, and would always get the occassional yank. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, Raylan said:

Grew up on the old safety razor. But the new disposable triple blades work better for me, closer smoother quicker shaves. Maybe if I had time to make it a ritual I would consider going back to a nice metal safety razor. Tried the electric razors twice over the years and they never worked well for me, never as clean or smooth as a shave, took longer, and would always get the occassional yank. 

I guess an epilator is out of the question then.

Some of that stuff looks pretty cool but I just bought a $3 bag of BIC razors that will last me at least a couple of years. $2 can of Barbasol will last six or eight months. That’s shaving the half my face not permanently covered by whiskers every few days. YMMV. 

Seamus

4 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So THAT'S what Gabby Hayes looked like with his teeth in.  :o

Yessiree Bob!  Yer durn tootin', ya young whippersnapper~!  :lol:

Archived