SASS Wire Forum

EARTHQUAKE LESSONS

Pat Riot

I was just doing an inventory of emergency supplies we have on hand for earthquakes or other calamities that might occur. I discovered I need a couple things but nothing so important that if we did have “The Big One” that we would be in real trouble.

The reason I am making this post is earthquakes and other catastrophic events are not the time to prepare for emergencies. The time to prepare is beforehand. 

Please make sure you all have emergency supplies and things that you need in case there is a catastrophe in your area.

No matter where you live you should always have food, water and shelter for you and your family for at least 3 days. 

I attached a couple of links regarding earthquake supplies but these things are good to have for all sorts of emergencies.

https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/earthquakes/supplies.html

https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1510153676317-82124ab3b0a31ea239f60acc8d46c2ba/FEMA_B-526_Earthquake_Safety_Checklist_110217_508.pdf

And having self protection should be at the top of any emergency list. I don’t think anyone here doesn’t have that covered. ;)

One thing I recommend is having some heavy tooling stashed somewhere that you can get to in case your house or garage is destroyed. Tools like wrecking bars that you can use to get to things in your house or garage. THAT is what I discovered today that I do not have and need. Somehow, the tools I had vanished in my move back to CA. I am not sure how that happened but I am hitting Harbor Freight today.

Please plan ahead. I like hanging out with you folks. A little planning can go a long way and may save your or a loved one’s life. 

Thank you.

PR

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I bought another bottle of Bulleit......:D

OLG

OLG, if you’ll notice, I said “at least three days supply”...:P

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Two days isn't three days.

He could plan on rationing...Naw...:rolleyes:

By the way, Harbor Freight has 36” crow bars $17.99 each. I am sure they are good enough to tear a chunk out of a wall and you ain’t out much of they rust in an outbuilding or stashed somewhere outside.

I guess I'm pretty lucky around here.

I'm told we're on a fault line that follows the Rideau River.

Apparently, we get really small, almost undetectable tremors on a near daily basis.

That seems to be our saving grace: they are all very small, frequent movements. No big sudden jumps.

I'll keep our west coast pards in my prayers.

:ph34r:  The crowbar (BIG ONE), 4 foot pry bar, and 36" set of bolt cutters, 8 lb sledge, wedge, sven saw, heavy axe and hatchet, full socket & wrench/screwdriver set, 20 foot log chain and a hand-powered come-along travel with me in my truck.  Is the extra weight worthwhile?  Not until any of it is needed.....  then it's priceless.

I'm trying to find a backpack with food and first aid by someone other than wise foods since theirs has a ton of carbohydrates and little protein and I am diabetic.  I also don't like bell peppers and onions 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I'm trying to find a backpack with food and first aid by someone other than wise foods since theirs has a ton of carbohydrates and little protein and I am diabetic.  I also don't like bell peppers and onions 

Try these ideas:

https://www.backpacker.com/skills/backcountry-menus-for-diabetics

I did some searches:

- survival kit for diabetics

- survival kit for diabetes

- bugout bag for diabetes

There are a lot of forums discussing these issues. I recommend you do these searches and see what is being said in some of these forums. It may help. 

Wire rules prevent me from posting links to forums.

I reckon I'm already "bugged out". Unless something disrupts the flow of water in a couple springs nearby, I'm good. Even then, just have to walk a little farther for water. Cattle, deer, elk, an occasional moose, small game, birds, waterfowl, brook trout a mile away, rainbows & walleye 2 1/2 miles away, chokecherries, wild strawberries, crab apples, plums, wild asparagus, etc.

I have never really understood the “bug out” thing. Unless I absolutely had to leave my home and I am talking “you stay, you die” kind of “have to leave”. I am staying put.

Years ago, all my “prepper” friends - we were preppers before preppers were cool :rolleyes: haha - they all had bugout plans. So did I, but mine were last resort plans. Their’s was “Stuff hits fan, I hit the road.”

I will never forget the conversation I had with my friends Russ and Dave regarding a movie called “Trigger Effect” with Elizabeth Shue :wub:  By the way, best prepper movie ever on what not to do... Anyway, my friends were saying the mistake they made in the movie was not bugging out immediately. I explained it was not and they adamantly disagreed. Then I said

“What makes you think the people that you encounter in the hills, mountains, desert, wherever, are going to want you there. What makes you think they won’t just shoot you for “trespassing”? I grew up in the hills of southwestern Pennsylvania. Country folks had plans for people like you boys and you all wouldn’t like it. You’d either move on or you’d just become fertilizer. Oh sure, maybe a few people would be allowed but as soon as people realized the enormity or the direness of the situation things would get real mean, real quick. Hell, you’ll probably end up as “Scarecrows” as a warning to others.”

My friends really didn’t like what I had to say about their plans, but that pretty much sums up my feelings on bugging out.

For those of us who take a lot of meds for our old bods, the biggest problem is what to do about refills? It's easy to say, "Have a 120 day supply packaged separately."  Problem is, most of the time you won't be able to get a full refill in addition to what you are taking regularly over a similar period.  And, there may be shelf-life limitations.  For those who take insulin, you may be in a jam.  Of course, I'm talking about some massive disaster: earthquake, hurricane, huge forest fire, meteor or comet strike, zombie apocalypse, etc.  In those kinds of events, some of us are just going to SOL!

BTW, for those planning to "bug out" from large cities, how far do you think you will get with the roads jammed like when some of the evacuations happened for one of the hurricanes that hit Florida and New Orleans? I mean, look at what happens during a Friday afternoon rush hour, when a fenderbender or worse ties of traffic!  :rolleyes:

Suggestion: In the event of an ICB M attack, grab your trusty "assault weapon", step outside and shoot at the incoming reentry vehicles (warheads)! The ultimate form of defiance! :o:P

6 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

BTW, for those planning to "bug out" from large cities, how far do you think you will get with the roads jammed

On the morning of 9 Oct. 2017 when the Tubbs Fire came over the hill near us we bugged out at about 0430. It took us close to an hour to go the 6 miles to Hwy. 101 and another half hour to go the next 6 miles to my work.  Santa Rosa is a moderately large city with a population of ~175,000.  

:ph34r:  Lots of solid info and good opinions above.  Kudos to Pat for referencing good links.

I've 'prepped' since the Cuban Missile Crisis, when we went to Jr. College class with Sony Walkman in shirt pocket and earpiece  to keep abreast of news.  We were near Bremerton shipyard, 20 miles from Keyport torpedo station, 50 miles from McChord Field, etc. We felt we were in First Strike area.  Our car trunks were loaded with what now seems to have been a feeble attempt at 'survival gear', but we seriously had planned escape routes if the red buttons got pushed.  Had a sack of spuds, some rice and cook pots, sleeping bags, tent, my 1911 and my '03-A3....:)

Kruschev:  "Our ships will go forward!"

Kennedy:  "If your ships don't turn around, they will be attacked!"

Krushev:  "If they are attacked, we will massively respond!"

We took it seriously at the time.....

I will add that if your bathroom has cabinets near or above the toilet, you might want to cultivate the habit of KEEPING THE TOILET LID CLOSED!  Also lessens the amount of water on the floor that mixes with the meds, creams, lotions and potions that do make it to the floor.....

BTW, Trigger Mike, most of the commercial freeze dried offerings require CAREFUL attention to ingredients.  I sell them all, EXCEPT for WISE brand.  Your assessment of their quality is correct.  Works for some, and better than nothing, they are cheapest around, and for good reason.  Pat's link to alternatives is great, and you may find you can make up many things on your own, although with shorter shelf life.  You would ideally only prepare things you normally eat anyway, so timely rotation would be simple.

Thanks for the prayers and best wishes.  This is going to be a Day of Rest and thanksgiving.  Right after I finish cleaning up the shed and warehouse......;)

Here East of the Mr. and Mrs. Sippi, the deep substrata is solid rock, which conducts shock waves fast and far.

If we get another New Madrid quake, it'll shiver far and wide and not at all gently.

Your counsel is wise and timely -- we're much more likely to be hit by a tornado or straight line winds here on the soggy south shore of Lake Erie -- you spoke of pry bars and crowbars and other tools of gentle persuasion, and that's something I never considered!

Many thanks for your timely admonition!

Bolt cutters. Maybe not the 36"ers that Bad Bascomb mentioned, but at least something capable of cutting chain link fence, barbed wire, light padlocks, and security chains & cables, such as might be used on bicycles and such.

8 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Bolt cutters. Maybe not the 36"ers that Bad Bascomb mentioned, but at least something capable of cutting chain link fence, barbed wire, light padlocks, and security chains & cables, such as might be used on bicycles and such.

Check out Milwaukee’s collapsible handled bolt cutters. Really nice.

We have about a weeks worth of food on hand.  And about 3 or 4 days of water (I really need to get more).  As Pat said, unless it's "leave or die" we will likely stay.  In 2017 we left because the mobile home park is on its own well. Power went out, no water pressure, no way to wet things down.  Now we have several people who know how to activate the city water if our power goes out.  

57 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Just how do you tell water in a can went bad before tasting? How do you know dehydrated food went bad?

Give some to the neighbors and watch what happens. :lol:

I am kidding!

:ph34r: 

14 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Cuban missile crisis - October 16–28, 1962

Sony Walkman - First released July 1, 1979

I now call any small pocket-sized radio a 'Walkman".  Kind of like any 'facial tissue' is Kleenex......  And no, I really don't recall the actual brand of the unit.  It was chosen because we could run the wire from a pocket down our sleeve and allow us to rest our ear on a hand with elbow propped on desktop and appear to be interested in what the instructor was saying, while listening for important bulletins.

And we like the BIG bolt cutters for leverage with age-weakened arms.....   Cables blocking roads and USFS road access gates have a greater resistance factor than chain link fence.  I have the smaller, more portable cutters (British military issue) for that.

Hopefully some can benefit from all the above discussion pertinent to prudent preparations.  Thanks to all who have contributed positively.

How does one "prepare" for an earthquake, anyway? The news is saying a man in Nevada may have been killed in the quake when he was working underneath his Jeep and the quake shook it right off the jacks. For all we know he may have been a prepper with a house full of survival gear and rations. No matter what you do, when your number's up your number's up.

I just hope when they dig me out of the rubble of my house they don't find me on the can with my pants wrapped around my ankles.

When the Yellowstone volcano goes boom, I'm just gonna light a cigar and pour a glass of whiskey and wait for the cloud!  :D  Since I'm less than 100 miles as the crow flies from the center of the caldera, it will be only seconds - good enough for one shot and a cuppla puffs.... B)

Archived