SASS Wire Forum

Had a close call Yesterday

Went to a beach,  next to the Puget Sound, for a picnic.

Sitting on  a bench,  enjoying the warm sun on my sun starved body, when a seagull

flew across my front,  from my right to my left.  He was not more than 20 feet away,

makes a 90 degree turn and flew directly over me at about 15 feet altitude. Lucky for

me his Bombay doors were shut and the bomb bays empty. 

Spooked a turkey buzzard at close range one time. That stuff was pretty nasty going down. Him puking and crapping it back up in self defense was truly one of the worst smells I've ever encountered. 

When I was a youngster in my  late teens, I had a summer job working on a sport fishing boat taking customers fishing. We had a repeat customer who came out every Wednesday. He always had a thermos full of whiskey and usually had it all consumed by noon. He would sleep in a chair on the cabin roof. One day a seagull crapped in his ear while he was sleeping. Man what a commotion when he woke up....and yes it was nasty!

One of my biggest fears when driving my convertible with the top down was turkey vultures...they always seemed to be nearby...

I’m gonna’ post a pome! An homage to Utah Bob!!

Birdy, birdy in the sky,

Why’d you do that,

In my eye?

I’m so glad that,

Elephants don’t fly,

Birdy, birdy in the sky!!

(not an original and I take no creative credit)

The way I heard it:

Birdy, birdy in the sky.

Dropped some whitewash in my eye.

I'm a big boy, I don't cry.

I'm just glad that cows don't fly.  :D

I used to work near the ocean.  I made the mistake of parking under a light standard one time.  I came out after work and half my windshield was covered.  Dang pelican dropped a load.  That was a booger and a half to clean up.  i never parked under a light standard again.

I will always remember the hot summer day, driving a black pickup, when a Turkey Vulture came out of the woods at about eight feet altitude and puked on the hood of the truck.  A rabbit heart was sizzling, along with various and sundry other body parts.  By the time I got to the river to wash it off everything was medium well! :)

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of my biggest fears when driving my convertible with the top down was turkey vultures...they always seemed to be nearby...

Maybe they suspected that you were a bad driver, Pat. And you could perhaps be lunch. 

Hit a seagull once going about 45. Wouldn’t have been a big deal, except I was on my motorcycle.

My wife has hated seagulls since one nailed her at the beach in ‘75.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

I used to work near the ocean.  I made the mistake of parking under a light standard one time.  I came out after work and half my windshield was covered.  Dang pelican dropped a load.  That was a booger and a half to clean up.  i never parked under a light standard again.

Around here you don't park under trees that the grackles roost in. Instead of one large bomb they treat you with a thousand little ones.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Maybe they suspected that you were a bad driver, Pat. And you could perhaps be lunch. 

Aha! I knew they were up to something. All that circling didn’t fool me.

Was still in high school, riding my bike under a big tree. was wearing my sweater with my first letter on it( band). Sweater was white. A Cedar Waxwing was up in that tree, and chose to go at exactly the right time and nailed my nice, used to be, white sweater. They like berries:o:rolleyes::blush:

One of my dads friends was out on a date in his brand new convertible when they got stopped in traffic next to a cattle hauler. It did not end well...

Imis

Here in Florida we don't mind parking under a tree even if it's two blocks away from the store were going to.  But, and this is a big but, we must remember that birds like to perch on trees and you may wind up with a white spotted car.  But the inside won't feel as hot!

Archived