SASS Wire Forum

One Belt or Two?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

5a3accac28671_Gunfightersketch-RESIZED.jpg.c8f812c9c7f2857ef1c44f749c571230.jpg

Ran across this sketch, and although the artist may have taken some liberties in their presentation of a gunfighter, it raised several questions I thought might prompt some lively discussion.

1. Did gunfighters, outlaws or cowboys in general ever wear two separate gun belts?
  2. More to current times, does anyone here on the SASS WIRE wear two gun belts when they shoot?
  3. What are the pros and cons - other than the obvious weight issue of additional leather and it's associated cost?
  4. I did not see anything in the SASS Shooters Handbook (quick glance in the obvious sections), so would they be legal for SASS as long as they met the guidelines for hanging off the hips?

Personally, I think the look is pure gunfighter.

I had Bob Mernickle custom build my double belt set several years back. No other maker wanted to make it for me & he made 3 sets before perfecting the belts for me. They are my favourite rig to wear and I shoot gunfighter. Get lots of compliments on the rig. Mernickle has pics of the rig. 

This was a topic not long ago, you must have missed it! There was a few chimed in about wearing this rig. We shoot with a guy that wears one or should I say two? Pretty cool look! Kurt Russell wore two gunbelts in his "vendetta" ride in Tombstone!

Most, (make that about 98% of the real cowboys) including gunfighters never carried/wore two pistols. Most cowboys did well to own one pistol and MAYBE a long gun of some kind, or vise-versa and didn't even carry/wear either all of the time!!  A very few hired killers wore two pistols. There were a few, and many more that were romanticized in the penny dreadfuls and dime novels of the time who did not, but were portrayed that way. James Butler Hickock supposedly carried two .36 cal. Navy colts and stuffed them into a sash he wore around his waist.

Ned Buntline and other "writers" of the time greatly exaggerated and in some cases out and out prevaricated the details and "facts" that they published. Most men of the time who had a second handgun carried that second gun in a saddlebag or bedroll.

I know of a couple of SASS shooters who use two gun belts at one of the clubs that I claim membership to. Wes Outlaw and Charlie Bowdrie both use two belt rigs.

The time or two that I tried it, the rig did a fine job. I often shoot Duelist and use one or another of my cross draw rigs. and two belts doesn't work very well.  The only drawbacks I found when goin' two belts was having to fiddle with an extra buckle and getting the two buckles out of the way.  If you use a belt to hold up your britches you'll have four buckles to deal with when you count that belt, two gun belts, and a shotgun belt.  'Ats'alotta' hardware!!

There are several people I shoot with in three different clubs in Eastern Tennessee who wear two gun belts.  Most of them shoot Outlaw, Gunfighter, or Double Duelist.  As a leather maker, I just made a second canvas belt for a local shooter who shoots 8" 1860 Colts.  He wanted to go with crossed belts because it lowered the pistols without having to build the drop into the holsters.  He feels that it's easier to get the pistols in and out of the holsters with the crossed belts.  Besides that, it just looks very cool.   

10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This was a topic not long ago, you must have missed it! There was a few chimed in about wearing this rig. We shoot with a guy that wears one or should I say two? Pretty cool look! Kurt Russell wore two gunbelts in his "vendetta" ride in Tombstone!

Rye:

Here's my excuse...5a3ad686a9d13_Staringatthecomputer-RESIZED.jpg.789d33573dd2b11e2ef30ac874824a58.jpg.

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

5a3accac28671_Gunfightersketch-RESIZED.jpg.c8f812c9c7f2857ef1c44f749c571230.jpg

Ran across this sketch, and although the artist may have taken some liberties in their presentation of a gunfighter, it raised several questions I thought might prompt some lively discussion.

1. Did gunfighters, outlaws or cowboys in general ever wear two separate gun belts?
  2. More to current times, does anyone here on the SASS WIRE wear two gun belts when they shoot?
  3. What are the pros and cons - other than the obvious weight issue of additional leather and it's associated cost?
  4. I did not see anything in the SASS Shooters Handbook (quick glance in the obvious sections), so would they be legal for SASS as long as they met the guidelines for hanging off the hips?

Personally, I think the look is pure gunfighter.

I believe I read in another thread that you are contemplating going gunfighter. I have been shooting gunfighter since my second match 4 years or so ago, so take this for what it's worth, which isn't all that much. My philosophy is it's better to look good than to be fast. If you can do both, then even better. If you like the look, then go for it. I would probably see about borrowing a second belt if you don't have an extra and try it out a bit first. From what I gleaned in that other thread about two belts, it's mostly the skinny guys with not much hips that like them the most because two guns on one belt doesn't always stay put for those guys. I have no idea what your body type is, but you might be one of the few skinny guys in this game, and I don't think there are that many. That's why I say try it out a bit at home to see if it even works for you. I do think it's a pretty cool look. And forget about the historical accuracy of it. To take Blackwater's comment a bit further, most folks out west didn't own any gun, much less two pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun. We are playing a pretend western game, so whatever you think looks cool and works for you is what is important. If I remember correctly, you are using a henry big boy and rugers, neither of which are even remotely accurate firearms of the time, so why let the belt setup bother you? Keep us posted. I think it's very cool when folks try things that are not the norm, whether they end up working out or not.

Most of our hands working for my Great, great grandfather \in the 1870s wore ONE revolver but none while branding and other activities of a similar nature. Our ranch owned riflesand issued them to the hands as needed. All ofthe hands that I heard about wore one belt and a cross drw holster.

FWIW, OI always wore a single revolver in cross draw. It was was much better when mounted.

Toy knowledge none of our hands and members of my family wore two revolvers.

My family were hunters and usedriflesand shotguns for that. My great grandfather suffered a stroke so be wore a 12 gauge shotgun in a shoulder holster for hunting.

I am the only handgun hunter in my family and, AFAIK, there never was another one.

I never wore two revolvers until SASS and shooting Holy Black Gunfighter.

My Grandad wore one right hand straight hang holster when not expecting trouble, he turned the belt so that the gun rode butt forward on the left side when he was roping ...

His 66 rode butt forward on the left side of the saddle ,,, and when he was expecting trouble he carried his hammered double across the saddle in hand ...

Jabez Cowboy

Mr. Cool, I moved the conversation up front for your viewing ( Does anyone use duel crossed gun belts)

Remember that most did not have multiple guns as we do.  But serious fighters normally carried several pistols when going into the fight. 

Left over from the Civil War when Cavalry would often carry 4 or 5 revolvers.  A fast attach with as many rounds blazing as you could.

Of course they could not readily reload the cap and ball guns, but continued the practice.  You don't want to have to reload (even cartridges) while in the fight.

19 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

11 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Mr. Cool, I moved the conversation up front for your viewing ( Does anyone use duel crossed gun belts)

3 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I know you've been busy delivering presents so here is a link.

Merry Christmas

Randy

5a2ef12c5e438_RandySaintEagle-PosseMember.JPG.975aa5d9bfcb1cc0ef0134b8254f0d4a.JPG.47f38d0b78f7922460899276bd62dc55.JPG

Rye / B.S. / Randy:

Thank y'all for the reference to the previous THREAD which addressed this same issue. (didn't mean to duplicate :blink:)

Once I found it's location, I looked at the threads near it and realized that it was the same time that Ms. Allie Mo posted her THREAD:

5a3be8de564f3_Ms.AllieMoTHREADonSASSWIRE.JPG.5c0012a16549682cb8052adb7e5a1365.JPG  which prompted my attention, and at the same time, I received a PM from Ms. Lorelei pertaining to her THREAD on the same day:

5a3be9196cb21_Ms.LoreleiTHREADonStealthSociety.JPG.620b7e239f41a1a691672d3d52d3065e.JPG.

Both of those must have pre-occupied my attention (which has a short span :huh:)

14 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've read Bill Longley and Curly Bill Brocius were known to have worn two gunbelts.

J Bar:

As represented in the movie Tombstone:

5a3bf123b1ca4_CurlyBillBrochus2.JPG.9c710390d3f3dfbfe25250b048a841ff.JPG

12 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

J Bar:

As represented in the movie Tombstone:

5a3bf123b1ca4_CurlyBillBrochus2.JPG.9c710390d3f3dfbfe25250b048a841ff.JPG

Historical research may be why Powers Boothe was outfitted thusly for the movie, eh? ;)

Some body post a picture of Single Action Jackson.

Sunwappta Haze wears two crossed belts ....

He needs to stand in the same place twice ,,,, to make a shadow....

Jabez Cowboy

12 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez:

Searched for a pic of Sunwapta Haze to no avail; however, found this:

5a3d1fcfe4266_SunwaptaHaze-AlbertaFrontierShootists-RESIZED.jpg.7e06871af0e7eb7d911a56ca0c53f63d.jpg

I also uncovered a THREAD from the Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L back from September 17, 2006 where he posted pic of the SASS Regionals in Mission, British Columbia, Canada at the Mission Rod and Gun Club cowboy shoot; however, the pics were not available to see based on the timeframe I guess.

I did find another awesome pic of double gun belts and thought I would share.

5a3d20ef35377_DoubleGunBelts-RESIZED.jpg.e2c66865c299830fe19cfd2b6dbd42ad.jpg

44 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

I’m not a fan of this thread. It’s giving me bad ideas. I just might have to take a serious look at getting a setup like this. 

Kid:

You and me both. Got your back on this one.

5a3d361baa4e8_GotyouBackPard.JPG.cf6d0bba29fb9fe93acfe54ed2aebdc9.JPG

Haha. Well I’m that case, I’ll ask a few questions to the group that uses two belts. So does a taper belt or money belt work better for this setup? And how does sizing work? Where do you measure from/around?

Sunwapta  and I shoot together several times each year ....

I have photos of him, but I can't seem to put them on the wire ...

We both shoot Holy Black ....

Should be photos of him at the Nevada Senior Games ....

Jabez Cowboy

On 12/21/2017 at 9:46 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Jabez Cowboy

On 12/22/2017 at 10:06 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Sunwapta  and I shoot together several times each year ....

I have photos of him, but I can't seem to put them on the wire ...

We both shoot Holy Black ....

Should be photos of him at the Nevada Senior Games ....

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez:

I was able to get a hold of Sunwapta Haze and he was kind enough to email me some pics of his outfit.

For everyone who is interested, here they are: (Taken at the SASS REGIONAL in 2015)

5a42be55b1a37_SASSREGIONAL2014-SunwaptaHazeSideOverview.thumb.jpg.96d7f0f96f70e87c4011532306eddb04.jpg

5a42be5d64060_SASSREGIONAL2014-SunwaptaHazeSide.jpg.b39b3da822a7741951c2f69d440a2fc3.jpg                        5a42be6501122_SASSREGIONAL2014-SunwaptaHazeFront.jpg.874effb9f290742db25c498803c104d3.jpg

if i thought i could access more shotgun rounds without more crowding and interference id go that way , the crossed belts could act to lock each other in place i have issues with my belt stayin put in its proper location , and that would rid my middle of the shotgun belt - of maybe use that as one of the two ? hmm , got me thinkin on it tooo ....

Archived