SASS Wire Forum

Cap n Ball Question

Howlin' Wolf

Howdy Yall

So here is the question. Can you load 6 Cylinders but only cap 5? That way if there is a pistol reload you just have to cap it? I as because i know the rule is cap and ball are not considered loaded until the caps are on. 

No im not switching to cap n ball but i was ask this question and wanted an official answer. My thought is yes. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

It's the rule that you can charge all 6 at the loading table, but can only cap 5, as page 13 of the current Shooter's Handbook 3rd paragraph under "Safety & Handling Conventions - Revolvers". Some will warn you of a possible chain fire.  All things are possible.  In 31 years of shooting cap & ball revolvers I haven't experienced one yet.  

I had my 1st chain fire in 12 years shooting sass a few years ago, charged all 6 for the 1st time ever and wouldn't you know it 1st round off I had 2 chambers go off hit the wedge, knocked off another cap. Scared the you know what out of me and the timer and a few spotters .never charged 6 again.

Rafe

If the stage requires a revolver reload you may load the sixth chamber and cap it before firing your revolver as a safety issue. There is no reason to load a sixth chamber if there is not a reload required. I have also shot C&B for many years and have had two chain fires both caused by a hairline crack in a cylinder.  No I will never shoot an ASM revolver again.  I keep a firing cone, nipple, on the sixth chamber and mark it with an orange wood screw cover to mark it safe at the loading table and to help when loading five chambers for a stage. I would rather be safe than sorry. IMHO, Diamond Curly

10 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

If the stage requires a revolver reload you may load the sixth chamber and cap it before firing your revolver as a safety issue. There is no reason to load a sixth chamber if there is not a reload required. I have also shot C&B for many years and have had two chain fires both caused by a hairline crack in a cylinder.  No I will never shoot an ASM revolver again.  I keep a firing cone, nipple, on the sixth chamber and mark it with an orange wood screw cover to mark it safe at the loading table and to help when loading five chambers for a stage. I would rather be safe than sorry. IMHO, Diamond Curly

I use five Slix-Shot nipples and to make sure I don't accidentally load or cap the wrong one I have a factory nipple plugging the sixth cylinder with the cone ground off of it and blued.  I've done several stages with loading a round in the rifle, but never (yet) with a revolver.  I suppose I should start carrying a sixth Slix-Shot just for the day when I do have to do it...

Make sure to grease the top of your balls.  This helps with chain fires.

Personally, I would use a reliable capper stick or the new Polish capper to recharge the cylinder that didna go bang or just take the miss.

Chances are your gonna put another cap on the load anyway to clear the loaded misfire.

Shameless

Take the miss. Lots faster than a capping procedure.

You'll only want to cap another chamber if there is a required revolver reload.  If you have a miss fire and have a clean match going, recap the offending cylinder and fire it.

4 hours ago, John Henry Quick said:

Since we're on the question of loading (or reloading) on the firing line, I wonder if anyone makes a "holster" for the Ted Cash snail capper?

Track of the Wolf have a leather holder for the snail capper, it is on a thong and hangs around your neck.

sheath-capper-rev_1.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, John Henry Quick said:

Since we're on the question of loading (or reloading) on the firing line, I wonder if anyone makes a "holster" for the Ted Cash snail capper?

I picked up a pair at Winter Range 2016 that were made by Ted Blocker  info@tedblockerholsters.com .  Just checked his website and don't see any listed though.  You may have to call them.

FM

I used to do that all the time, never had a problem.  But I had to remember to only fill 5 for the last stage so I was empty for cleaning afterwards.  Got to be a nuisance so I just load 5 now.  Always have the empty under the hammer so at the loading table it's a simple load one skip one.  And visually check to be sure I did it right anyway!

My capper is on the opposite end of my watch chain, so if I need it I can pull it out of my vest pocket by the chain.  It takes time so it's only for a clean match or when I just feel like it... because it's just a game!  :D

Some days I want to win something, some days I just want to play.

Archived