SASS Wire Forum

1873 Feed Issue

Juiceharp Jen

I got my Codymatic today and tried it out.  I was surprised by the amount of force required to both load and cock the Codymatic.  After the first two or three rounds were loaded, I found the loading gate was getting stuck and required significant force to punch it down and get the next round in.  When cocking it, I found it took more force than I could easily produce to eject the spent shell, and I often had to cock it again with even more force to get the next round up into the receiver.  Is this normal?  Will it get better with time and use?  Is there something I can do, such as oil the ammunition, to address this issue?  I'm using Ultramax 38 Special 125 grain round nose flat point commercial cowboy loads.

Shoulda called Cody. No, that is definitely not usual for a CodyMatic. Got a few.

That doesn't seem right.

Wash it damaged in shipment?

Contact Cody and talk it over.

If you have some cowboy shooters close, let them try it out as well just as a check.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You did not provide a key piece of information -- the OAL of the round.

Dont know what OAL is.

i just ran some 38 special safety snap caps through it like butter.  They are advertised to be "Exact Size of Real Ammo," but my live rounds are noticeably larger in every dimension.

I did email Cody a few hours before starting this thread.  Maybe I'll hear back tomorrow.  But I have my first match on Saturday, so if I need different ammo, I need to find out what to get right now so I can order it and rush ship it.

3 minutes ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

I measured them at 15/16 inches long, or maybe just a hair under that.  I'll get pics.

That would be approximately 0.9375 inches.   I think the cartridges should be at least 1.4” overall length?

As Coffinmaker said, you should be able to cycle that rifle with one finger.  DO NOT FORCE IT!  You might damage something.  Call Cody between noon and 7pm.

7 minutes ago, CodyMaverick said:

Will it feed okay if you just put one round in through the gate and cycle it?

Yes.  I tried it several times with no issues loading or feeding.

So I tried loading and feeding ten.  This time, I had little trouble loading until I had 6 in already.  Then they all fed easily except numbers 3 and 4, which hung up very briefly.

Now I'm really confused.

Where are you? Maybe we could point you toward someone that could help

Are you going to shoot at Leonard with Ten Horns this Saturday? Look up Boomstick Jay while there if so. And I promise someone will be able to make it run or loan you something that will.

2 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Are you going to shoot at Leonard with Ten Horns this Saturday? Look up Boomstick Jay while there if so. And I promise someone will be able to make it run or loan you something that will.

I was planning on Brownsboro on Saturday if the weather is good.  Else, Leonard on Sunday.  I've been corresponding the Boomstick Jay about some other items, so that might work out.

It sounds as if you have some corrosion in your magazine tube.

Remove the spring from the magazine. Clean and lubricate with wax. Make sure your follower is clean and lubricated.

56 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

It sounds as if you have some corrosion in your magazine tube.

Remove the spring from the magazine. Clean and lubricate with wax. Make sure your follower is clean and lubricated.

51 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

X2 on clean'n the mag tube.

OLG

Also check length of magazine spring while ya have it out..

With magazine cap screw out and no ammo in the tube..

magazine spring should stick out approximately 3"..

seems I remember snipping my down a little at a time

to about 2 5/8" before it fed correctly..

also made it easier loading the tube..

19 minutes ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

Brand new shipped straight from Cody.

On that info alone don't do anything till you talk to Cody. He is a stand up pard and will make it right.

I really suspect you have an ammo problem. See it you can find your calipers and measure several rounds. Especially the ones that are hard to load / feed.

Do you have 10 snap caps? Will all 10 load and feed properly?

Sometimes even new guns and or ammo have issues that make it past quality control. Best part about this group in 99.99% are stand up people and will do all they can to fix  issues that may not have been their fault to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

On that info alone don't do anything till you talk to Cody. He is a stand up pard and will make it right.

I really suspect you have an ammo problem. See it you can find your calipers and measure several rounds. Especially the ones that are hard to load / feed.

Do you have 10 snap caps? Will all 10 load and feed properly?

Sometimes even new guns and or ammo have issues that make it past quality control. Best part about this group in 99.99% are stand up people and will do all they can to fix  issues that may not have been their fault to begin with.

Sound advice.  I have no doubt that Cody will bend over backwards to fix anything wrong, but I think it's an ammo issue.  

I only have 6 snap caps.

If anyone knows of a commercial cowboy round in 38 spec that feeds well in these rifles and that I can order tonight, I will order some boxes immediately.  Please provide recommendations if you can for such ammo.

I'll bring enough factory 38 special ammo to the match for you to try in your rifle. If it feeds I'll have enough for the whole match.

In the mean time will the ammo load into your revolvers?

You could try Cabelas or Academy. Don't worry about it saying it is for cowboy action. Even 158 grain rounds will not have any noticeable recoil in your rifle.

Just be sure it is low velocity (1000 fps or slower) Lead Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) and not just lead round nose (LRN).

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I'll bring enough factory 38 special ammo to the match for you to try in your rifle. If it feeds I'll have enough for the whole match.

In the mean time will the ammo load into your revolvers?

You could try Cabelas or Academy. Don't worry about it saying it is for cowboy action. Even 158 grain rounds will not have any noticeable recoil in your rifle.

Just be sure it is low velocity (1000 fps or slower) Lead Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) and not just lead round nose (LRN).

It works fine in the revolvers.  Good thing as I bought 700 rounds of it.

I tried feeding a .357 magnum round through it and it was catching at first and then started feeding OK.

take advantage of Dave's offer before yu buy any more ammo,,,  it will save you shipping costs and he'll feel great helping you out,, win win

My 1894 CS is ammo sensitive, and will bobble 38 Special rounds if I’m levering it quickly.   I found that this factory ammo works well:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/719015038/redirect

Might be worth trying a box, but as others have said, talk with Cody first and try Dave’s offer of ammo at the shoot. 

3 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

My 1894 CS is ammo sensitive, and will bobble 38 Special rounds if I’m levering it quickly.   I found that this factory ammo works well:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/719015038/redirect

Might be worth trying a box, but as others have said, talk with Cody first and try Dave’s offer of ammo at the shoot. 

Sgt, have you had the widdermatic done to your Marlin,,, if not, it will take care of that,,,, 

I tried feeding a .357 magnum round through it and it was catching at first and then started feeding OK.

So I tried loading and feeding ten.  This time, I had little trouble loading until I had 6 in already.  Then they all fed easily except numbers 3 and 4, which hung up very briefly.

This could very well be a loading mortise not beveled properly.   If you load the magazine with 10 rounds and look down into the carrier, does the cartridge sitting in the carrier "kick over" with the rim slanting over toward the loading gate (the right side of rifle).  If so, the loading mortise in the frame needs a bevel on it.   A very common  problem on Uberti toggle action rifles 10 years ago, but the factory usually does enough beveling to fix the problem in current production.

Why do I say this could be the problem?  A non-beveled loading mortise catches only the first 1 (or 2,3, or 4) rounds after you have loaded at least 9 or 10 rounds in the mag, then the first few rounds catch their rim on the frame.  A temporary fix is: after loading a full magazine, push the last round in even farther through the loading gate (with your pinky finger or a blunt stick) and push the base of the cartridge as far to the left as it takes so that cartridge lies straight in the body of the carrier.  This sets the cartridge back to straight (and if you don't bump the rifle hard, the cartridge stays straight at least until you start shooting).

Solution - a gunsmith can do as shown in this page:

Loading mortise repair on 73 rifle

Courtesy of the technical information page from Pioneer GunWorks:

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/technical-info/

Your cartridge looks to be well short enough to fit the 1.600" maximum overall cartridge length (that is, OAL) that a 73 rifle will allow to feed.

It could be that your OAL is too short for how your carrier is set up.  (There's a ramp at the front edge of the carrier which pushes the "next" round back into the magazine as the carrier rises to bring the "first" round up to the chamber.  If cartridges are short enough that the RIM of the next cartridge is farther back than the ramp surface, the flat part of the carrier behind the ramp catches the rim. ) Probably not your particular problem, though, if the snap caps (which are shorter than your cartridges) are feeding smoothly.   I DOUBT that the ammo is the root cause of your problem.  That ammo you have bought already is used by lots of SASS shooters with good success.  

Good luck, GJ

Archived