SASS Wire Forum

1873 Feed Issue

Juiceharp Jen

19 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

Sgt, have you had the widdermatic done to your Marlin,,, if not, it will take care of that,,,, 

Nope, I haven’t.   I did some action work myself, and just need to find that “sweet spot” with my reloads.  I’m looking for a Pedersoli Lightning rifle in 357 though, so that’s where my focus is right now. 

Cody thinks it is a combination of soft lead in my brand of ammo and a stiff mag spring.  He said he already trimmed the mag spring, so he is sending me new parts to replace what I have in the magazine.  In the meantime, I may benefit from a different brand of ammo.

Glad to hear that it looks like you're on your way to "problem solved."

Before I started reloading, I had good results with these http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/family/american-eagle/american-eagle-handgun/ae38b

I'm sure there is a local gun shop or big box store in your area that would have them

3 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Glad to hear that it looks like you're on your way to "problem solved."

Before I started reloading, I had good results with these http://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/family/american-eagle/american-eagle-handgun/ae38b

I'm sure there is a local gun shop or big box store in your area that would have them

I wasn't able to rush ship any online ammo to me.  Apparently, there's only one way to legally ship ammo, and that's UPS ground.

I was able to find 4 boxes of the 158 grain ammo you recommended at the local Walmart.  They are definitely longer than the 125 grain ammo I was using.  I found loading to be especially difficult, especially that last round, but I was able to feed and fire two strings of ten with no feed issues that would cost me time.  It wasn't effortless.  I couldn't do it using one finger.  It made my knuckles smart.  But they fed.

Afterwards, I tried two strings of ten with the old ammo and had only one of them hang up in a way that would cost me time.  It was the 8th round fired of the first string of ten.  The second string was fast with no hang ups.

Unless it's a really bad idea, I'm going to load it and leave it overnight with my aim being to wear in the spring for this weekend.  Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

I wasn't able to rush ship any online ammo to me.  Apparently, there's only one way to legally ship ammo, and that's UPS ground.

I was able to find 4 boxes of the 158 grain ammo you recommended at the local Walmart.  They are definitely longer than the 125 grain ammo I was using.  I found loading to be especially difficult, especially that last round, but I was able to feed and fire two strings of ten with no feed issues that would cost me time.  It wasn't effortless.  I couldn't do it using one finger.  It made my knuckles smart.  But they fed.

Afterwards, I tried two strings of ten with the old ammo and had only one of them hang up in a way that would cost me time.  It was the 8th round fired of the first string of ten.  The second string was fast with no hang ups.

Unless it's a really bad idea, I'm going to load it and leave it overnight with my aim being to wear in the spring for this weekend.  Thoughts?

that wont work, as far as wearing in the spring is concerned,,  if it did have any effect, you'd be needing a new spring very soon

Agree with CC.   Its not going to weaken the mag spring to leave the gun loaded - unless you left it that way for about 50 years.  

When you test fire the gun next, LOOK down into the carrier when you get a feeding difficulty.   Let us know if the round is sitting straight (parallel to lips of carrier) or not at that point.   It sounds like the problem you have is pretty intermittent, so the more you can spot on your own, the easier it is to figure out the problem.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

If you are going to 10 Horns at Leonard Sat. bring a box of your problem ammo with you.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Juiceharp Jen said:

I have several Codymatics.  I have found that they prefer Truncated Cone Ammo rather than a roundnose.

I got my Codymatic today and tried it out.  I was surprised by the amount of force required to both load and cock the Codymatic.  After the first two or three rounds were loaded, I found the loading gate was getting stuck and required significant force to punch it down and get the next round in.  When cocking it, I found it took more force than I could easily produce to eject the spent shell, and I often had to cock it again with even more force to get the next round up into the receiver.  Is this normal?  Will it get better with time and use?  Is there something I can do, such as oil the ammunition, to address this issue?  I'm using Ultramax 38 Special 125 grain round nose flat point commercial cowboy loads.

If you can find some .357 mag cartridges loaded for cowboy action, try a box.  It will tell you if the problem is .38 Special cartridge length or the rifle itself.

If you have time before Saturday give Boomstick Jay a call and have him give it a quick look. It is likely something very simple and he will be able to diagnose it right away. Jason is a great guy and will treat you right.

Jen, Just sent you a PM ............

My boyfriend and I both used the rifle this weekend at our first match.  Various people tried racking the lever with or without my rounds or their rounds in it.  Opinions were varied from "Seems fine you just need longer ammo" to "There is something dragging on the block when you rack it, even unloaded."  I tried racking levers on some other people's rifles and there does seem to be something dragging on the block, but I don't know for sure if that was there initially or developed from use with my ammo.  It seemed to me like most people thought it was fine when I showed up and then that changed after the match.   Plus I was able to use it OK through the match until the last stage, where it malfunctioned.  Instead of declaring a malfunction, I racked the slide a couple of times until what I thought was my last live round popped out.  It was stuck in the magazine.  Found another stuck in the magazine after I got to the unloading table.  A lot of folks recommended a local smith and he has it now and is taking a look at it.  I don't expect Cody to try and address the issue especially now that I've handed it off to a local.  There seems to be some agreement that I need some longer rounds which either means reloading or paying someone to make reloads for me.  The local smith does such reloads, but I'd like to identify other people who do that.  So if anyone has recommendations for people who do reloading for hire, please let me know by posting here or by PM.

• 3 weeks later...

A few of you have PMed me for an update.  The local CAS gunsmith who was working on it for me said it had a bad timing issue that was intermittent and caused by a stripped lifter screw.  He also said the mag spring was not the correct mag spring for that rifle, and the spring kit that Cody sent me to replace it would not fit that rifle.  So I guess there was a mixup there.  Cody asked me over the phone which rifle it was before he sent me the replacement spring kit, and I told him what was on the box label.  Maybe the rifle was shipped in the wrong box?  IDK.  The local CAS smith also machined the loading ramp so it should handle shorter ammo now, hopefully.  I hope to get it back this weekend.  Fingers crossed. :-)

Archived