SASS Wire Forum

vacation

Wife and I are thinking about a swing through Colorado and Wyoming this summer. We have 2 3/4 ton GMC trucks. 1 is gas and 1 is Diesel. Not sure which one to use

I know the diesel will tow the trailer better and I know that diesel is readily avail along the interstate. But we don't plan to spend much time on the interstate once we get there.

How avail is diesel on the state level roads? We are thinking about going from south to north up the west side of the 2 states.

Around here it is becoming more avail, but there are still some places where there is none. 

Suggest that you get a couple of 5 or 6 gallon diesel jerry cans to hedge your bets. At the very least, that should get you to somewhere that you can fill up should you get in dire straights somewhere along the way.

Warhorse

Diesel should be everywhere.

Most of the rigs I see pulling huge campers and trailers in Colorado are diesels. Been that way for a long time, witnessed in my Colorado travels. 

A full Gerry can is never a bad idea though.

Take the diesel truck.  There are truck stops and diesel pumps common on and near major roads, highways and cities.  Sportsmans Guide had NATO 20-Litre fuel cans (used) for about $23 each.  Go on eBay and order a couple NATO can nozzles and a pack of fresh NATO can gaskets.  3 or 4 NATO fuel cans full of diesel and two nozzles should get you in and out of anywhere.   Get a length of fresh tempered steel chain and a couple of good locks to chain your fuel cans inside the bed of your truck.   It's just good insurance you likely to not use.

Most of the farmers and ranchers are burning diesel, you can find them buying fuel away from the Interstate.

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I can't remember the last gas station I went to that didn't have diesel at the pumps.  Maybe it's different out in the sticks.

Nope. Diesel is at every station out here. And we're seriously out in the sticks.

You should have no problem at all. Lots of diesel trucks, farm equip and big rigs on the West Slope of Colorado.

Thanks for the info. If you see somebody lost with Maine plates, it's prob'ly me.

While I grew up on the west coast, wife has never been out. She really doesn't understand the size and space.

Here we can have breakfast at home and supper at her brothers in PA, 6-states. ME-NH-MA-NY-PA

I just returned from a 6000 mile trip from Massachusetts to Winter Range. Lots of back roads and never had a problem finding diesel.

BTW....Diesels have near zero engine braking unless they have an exhaust brake. Gas engines have much more compression braking

just needed to correct the record....

3 hours ago, Roy B said:

I just returned from a 6000 mile trip from Massachusetts to Winter Range. Lots of back roads and never had a problem finding diesel.

BTW....Diesels have near zero engine braking unless they have an exhaust brake. Gas engines have much more compression braking

What are you driving?

The Dodge I drove a couple years ago didn't have a 'jake'  brake or such and had far better engine braking than my 454 ci dually did.

The difference in engine compression between a diesel and gas is substantial. That is where the engine braking comes in. 

OLG

I used to drive Baja 1 up and down the peninsula on a regular basis. Diesel sometimes got hard to get as stations would be out of it. I learned to never let my fuel guage ever get below a third of a tank. Today even here in the great southwest, I never let it get to 1/4 of a tank, just habit...and I have never ran out.

On 4/27/2017 at 5:32 AM, Roy B said:

My Dodge has very good engine braking I just have to use the Tow/Haul mode for it to engage the torque converter on decel. Without engaging the torque converter there is no resistance at all.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

Wife and I are thinking about a swing through Colorado and Wyoming this summer. We have 2 3/4 ton GMC trucks. 1 is gas and 1 is Diesel. Not sure which one to use

I know the diesel will tow the trailer better and I know that diesel is readily avail along the interstate. But we don't plan to spend much time on the interstate once we get there.

How avail is diesel on the state level roads? We are thinking about going from south to north up the west side of the 2 states.

Around here it is becoming more avail, but there are still some places where there is none. 

Here in Grand Junction area pretty much anyone who sells gasoline sells diesel. Yesterday gasoline was 2.449 a gallon. This morning I paid 2.459 for diesel in my F350 super duty. only a pennies difference at the moment. My experience with the trailer pulling/engine braking thing has been that my 08' F350 diesel in tow/haul mode and cruise will control the speed at about 65mph with a 28' trailer to within a couple miles per hour uphill or downhill. My '72 F250 with a 390 - 4 speed needs considerably more service brakes on the downhill unless you downshift into 3rd then you are only doing about 45-50 or so.

If you get the chance the CO state shoot is June 8,9,10 with dry camping at the range. Moab is about an hour and a half west. (Think Arches, mountain biking, some awesome hiking) Canyonlands a little past that. Here in town about 30 minutes to the CO National monument (spires, steep cliffs mountain goats) An hour east to Grand mesa and small lake fishing, hiking great views. If you need to water up or just hang out there is about an acre of parking behind my house you can use if you need,  about 15 minutes to the range. Come to think of it about 15 minutes to I-70 east or west, 6&50 to the south/east, to the restaurants in town, the KOA if that suits you, pretty much 15 minutes to anything in Grand Junction:D :D :D

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What are you driving?

The Dodge I drove a couple years ago didn't have a 'jake'  brake or such and had far better engine braking than my 454 ci dually did.

The difference in engine compression between a diesel and gas is substantial. That is where the engine braking comes in. 

OLG

I just installed a BD Diesel exhaust brake on my 2006 Dodge Diesel. Coming down hills pulling a 10,000 pound trailer was quite an experience before the EB installed. Now, I don't even touch the brakes. Diesels are just a big air pump. They have very little compression braking.Hence the reason all newer Diesel pick up trucks have exhaust brakes and why all big trucks have always had them. If you have a Diesel truck and have very good compression braking I'd check the exhaust system for obstructions. Maybe a clogged catalytic converter? If you don't pull anything heavy, you will not need it and probably thing what you perceive as engine braking is good enough. Hook up a few tons and come down a 7 percent grade and then tell me about engine braking....

7 hours ago, Roy B said:

I just installed a BD Diesel exhaust brake on my 2006 Dodge Diesel. Coming down hills pulling a 10,000 pound trailer was quite an experience before the EB installed. Now, I don't even touch the brakes. Diesels are just a big air pump. They have very little compression braking.Hence the reason all newer Diesel pick up trucks have exhaust brakes and why all big trucks have always had them. If you have a Diesel truck and have very good compression braking I'd check the exhaust system for obstructions. Maybe a clogged catalytic converter? If you don't pull anything heavy, you will not need it and probably thing what you perceive as engine braking is good enough. Hook up a few tons and come down a 7 percent grade and then tell me about engine braking....

The 'cat' used in a diesel engine(DOC)is a completely different 'cat' than used in gas. 

All internal combustion engines are 'air-pumps'. The diesel with it's much higher compression ratio over gas engines make it better suited for comp-braking. The exhaust brake(Jake Brake)just adds to this.

Respectfully,

OLG

Again; thanks to all for the help.  Hopefully going to ride the Durango and Silverton then north to Green River and Rock Springs. Haven't worked out the rest yet.

Hey Jimmy,

We went almost 10,000 miles this winter on a 2 month trip to Winter Range.  Never had a problem finding diesel.  Also never allowed it to get below a quarter tank, just in case.  

I've done the Durango - Silverton railroad, spectacular!  Traveled most of Colorado and WY, loved it all.  The museum in Cody WY took us 3 days!

On 5/2/2017 at 11:51 AM, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

Again; thanks to all for the help.  Hopefully going to ride the Durango and Silverton then north to Green River and Rock Springs. Haven't worked out the rest yet.

Sounds like you are on the western side of Colorado, maybe heading North through Ouray/Montrose/Grand Junction? Dinosaur N.P. is a good stop along the way if you have time. No crowds usually. 

Although a bit to the East of Rock Springs, Centennial and the Snowy Range are pretty nice to visit. There is some pretty scenery in the Saratoga/Encampment, Wy area.

Also, if you hit any altitude, that diesel will fare much better. My Silverado 6.0 2500 fuel mileage and power plummeted int he heart of Wyoming.

• 1 month later...

New question to go along with the other.  The toll roads in NY Ohio Illinois ect, do they still take cash or do I have to have one of those EZ pass things?

I know Mass no longer has a cash lane.

Many now only allow payment electronically. Some photo you liscense plate and send you a bill. Others you need to note the exit and toll booth number and make payment within X days on-line.

Total PIA.....

Take 84 down to 80 and you will encounter a lot fewer tolls. Unless they have changed since last fall all will accept cash. Stay on 80 right thru till you get thru NE. Or go up 29 to 90 and go west from there. PM me if you have any more ?.

kR

I concur with U.B. But the Jerry cans are not a bad idea. There are a few places here in Co. where gas stations are far apart. If you pre plan your fuel stops you will be okay, but if not one could run out of fuel far from a fuel source.

Stay away from Denver and you won't have to worry about toll roads. ;)

I've found staying away from Denver eliminates a lot of headaches. 

:rolleyes:

Archived