SASS Wire Forum

Another.."What tics me off" thread

Widder, SASS #59054

Every store in the world has a "rewards card", I hate when they ask me if I have one and when I say no they have to push me to get one, "You get 10% off today if you sign up…blah blah blah :angry:

+1

My CC has the same or better rewards then all of those store CC's. AND I get the rewards money everywhere I shop, not just their store. The only other rewards things I do are for Sportsmans Warehouse and Orielly's. Those are just easy ways to save money without an additional credit card. The points don't add up to much but it's something.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

My CC has the same or better rewards then all of those store CC's. AND I get the rewards money everywhere I shop, not just their store. The only other rewards things I do are for Sportsmans Warehouse and Orielly's. Those are just easy ways to save money without an additional credit card. The points don't add up to much but it's something.

Yep, I have a Giant Eagle supermarket card that gives me 10 cents off a gallon of gas for every $50.00 I spend, of course their prices are higher than anyone else so you have to watch what you buy there. :unsure:

What tics me off. Happened at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Tucson. Went up to the gun counter to ask a question. Two clerks were present: one helping a lady buy a gun, the other on the phone. Guy on the phone asked the other for help, taking the clerk away from the gun sale. Lasted about 15 minutes. Guy on the phone acknowledged our presence and said he'd get to us soon. Finally he hung up the phone, but almost immediately the phone rang again and the clerk answered it. I waited a little longer and then left. Obviously, standing at the counter does not rank as high as a phone caller. Next time I have a question, I'll call them on my cell phone.

What tics me off. Happened at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Tucson. Went up to the gun counter to ask a question. Two clerks were present: one helping a lady buy a gun, the other on the phone. Guy on the phone asked the other for help, taking the clerk away from the gun sale. Lasted about 15 minutes. Guy on the phone acknowledged our presence and said he'd get to us soon. Finally he hung up the phone, but almost immediately the phone rang again and the clerk answered it. I waited a little longer and then left. Obviously, standing at the counter does not rank as high as a phone caller. Next time I have a question, I'll call them on my cell phone.

What I learned in my stint working retail is that the phone is the rudest customer you can ever have. If you don't answer, the customer on the other end will likely complain higher up. If you answer, you get a situation like you described and if it's bad enough, a complaint or lost sale. IMO, the person behind the counter can do no right when they are busy and being barraged by phone calls with not enough help. One of the many reasons I disliked working retail.

I get a new "peeve" each week. They sort of rotate. This week it's Westworld where the woman pulls a Colt's SAA and fires it twice - double action - never cocking the hammer. And, The Strain, where a guy is firing a S&W revolver. 11 shots without a reload. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford some of these truly unique firearms!

Lonestar Stealhouse Steak Salad. Pretty good if you order in the restaurant. Takeout it's 6 little pathetic strips of steak. Not doing their takeout again.

When SWMBO spots glitches like that, I tell her that they do their cocking and reloading off-camera.

What I learned in my stint working retail is that the phone is the rudest customer you can ever have. If you don't answer, the customer on the other end will likely complain higher up. If you answer, you get a situation like you described and if it's bad enough, a complaint or lost sale. IMO, the person behind the counter can do no right when they are busy and being barraged by phone calls with not enough help. One of the many reasons I disliked working retail.

It is absolutely the most frustrating thing for me when I'm behind the firearms counter. If we don't answer, it will go to our portable and start ringing. If we don't pick up, it will go to customer service where they will ask us to take a firearms call. Then management has heard, and if nobody responds, they ask if someone is going to. Heck, if I answer and put someone on hold to find the answer to their question, it will start ringing again after a couple of minutes I always apologize to customers when I have to take a call, but I am with you guys. I have to defer to the person unwilling to come to the store over the person who took the time, trouble, gas money and energy to come to the store and possibly make a purchase. If I could figure out a better way, I would be sending the recommendation up the chain of command.

I remember someone saying once "I don't have pet peeves. I have a peeve menagerie." Sounds about right.

One of mine is when the wire goes down and they loose three or four days of information!!

What ticks me off is credit cards in general and credit card "rewards" in particular. It irritates me when I have to wait longer to get though a checkout line because some idiot is charging a $1 candy bar to a credit card, or wait for morons who charge their matinee movie tickets. Put a $10 bill in your pocket before you go to the theater, for Tarantino's sake!

It's galling to think there are so many people in the world stupid enough to believe that credit card companies are printing up "free" money for people using their cards. "Oooh! I'm getting 3 percent cash back with my card!" No... you're being overcharged 5 percent to cover your "free" cash back, the extra bookkeeping, and all the advertising expenses to ace out those 2.5 percent cash back competitors, you twit!

When I worked in a retail store back in the 80's I learned that stores were forbidden by their contracts with the CC companies to add a surcharge to a customer's bill to cover the service charge when they paid by credit card. It meant that everyone paying cash were subsidizing credit card users because the store increased prices to cover the credit card companies service fees.

If you could literally pound common sense into people, I'd have carpal tunnel of the elbows and Snap-On would be in bankruptcy court from giving me all those free replacement hammers.

Snidely Whiplash

I have had incredibly poor service in a Burger King recently. I don't really like them so it was a no brainer to stop at a McDonalds the next time I wanted a quick light sandwich. The McDonalds service was worse.

I guess I'll start looking for aTaco Bell or something.

I haven't set foot in a McDonalds since the shooting in Escondido back in the 80s. Old Lady Crock (whose husband founded the company and was the owner at the time) founded an anti-gun outfit and I figured that if she and her CS company weren't going to support me I damshore wasn't going to support them.

I have seen this in the US and in other countries.

Most recently, I bought some groceries for 295.00 (not dollars, don't freak out). I gave the clerk 300. She picked up a calculator and subtracted 300.00-295.00 TWICE. then gave me my change, a five hrievna bill.

I asked my companion, "did you see that?" She also could not believe it.

---------------------------

295.00 hrievna is roughly $12.

Positively un-American, isn't it? :D

Reminds me of the line in that great old movie "Breaking Away" where the Italian obsessed kid wants some foreign chow and the Dad says "What's wrong with American food like French fries or Pizza?"

Seamus

Arabic subtitles on youtube music videos

Really LOUD people in a restaurant.

Last week, as I ate lunch, the loud guy behind me caused my annoyance grow. I kept quiet until he started throwing F- and MF- bombs. Finally, I turned around and put my index finger to my lips and made the SHUSHING sound.

He stood up and said "don't you shush me." I motioned him over, he came over, and I said, "You seem like a jovial fun-loving person; however, you are really loud. That was okay until you started with the F- and MF- bombs."

Care to guess what happened then?

He apologized profusely for his language.

About a year ago, at lunch, a couple sat across the room with their laptops (tablets or whatever) open while their two children ran around the restaurant (very casual type) yelling, beating on a gum ball machine, running in and out of the door next to me. As I was getting ready to leave, the mother and kids went outside. The father was still on his PC in the restaurant. I walked over to him and told him that his children prevented me from enjoying my lunch. He told me off and said that they are well behaved. When I went to my car, he was at his and gave me a rude hand gesture.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Appearances and stereotypes can be deceiving. The loud guy was black and the family looked like yuppies.

1. Folks running around in public yelling into their cell phones while it's set on speakerphone.

If they can't hear what you are saying, then maybe you should hold it closer to your mouth. If you can't hear what they are saying at arm's length on speakerphone, then maybe you should take it off speaker and hold it up to your ear.

Either way, why should I have to listen to your conversation? Yes, I said, 'have to'.

My way of dealing with these sort of self obsessed, inconsiderate folks is simple. I make comments on their conversation and when they get offended, I point out that if they wanted to have a private phone conversation without comments from the peanut gallery, then they should take it off speaker and quit broadcasting their business to the whole world.

2. Uncontrolled children running wild in restaurants.

If I wanted to try to eat a meal surrounded by other people's loud children, I'd get my food to go and eat at the park. If you haven't taught your children how to act in public, then, maybe you need to leave them at home.

Again, I have found a simple solution. I, loudly, ask the wait staff to move me to another area of the dining room because I don't want to be around a bunch of loud kids being allowed to run wild.

I had one woman (I won't insult mothers everywhere by referring to her as one) ask me if I was trying to embarrass her when I asked to be moved because her 3 year old had climbed into my booth and was trying to reach onto my plate to help himself to my meal.

I responded that if the way her kids were acting in public wasn't enough to embarrass her, then nothing I could do to her would succeed.

3. This is a recent one.

Posts made in forums that I've been a member of for 20 years (it shows my joining date as 1999 but that only dates back to the current incarnation of the site inception. The real joining date is at least 3 or 4 years prior.) disappearing for no known reason and with no explanation.

Drivers who fail to use their vehicle's turn signals properly. And almost worse, those who don't turn them off after a turn or lane change. -- GIT

That one I'm used to. I've lived with it my whole life. It quit bothering me when I was about 19 or 20.

If you run country roads around here, it's not unusual to fall in behind a old pick up driven by an old guy that will cover 10 miles with his left (or right) turn signal on. I just maintain my following distance and wait for him to slow down to let me know when he's actually turning. If you are lucky, he's driving at around the speed limit instead of 15 or 20 miles under.

The grocery store I frequent has several self-serve checkouts. Okay, I'm all paid and putting a few groceries in bags when the next person's stuff is waddling down the belt hitting mine!!! I've asked several people to STOP and got rude remarks, I've bitten my tongue a bunch of times!!! I think I found a solution though…I starting putting their groceries in bags with my stuff……talk about fireworks!!!! I said "If you keep 'em coming while I'm still packing I'm assuming they're gifts for me so thanks!" The lady stopped real quick and I returned her 2 or 3 items to the counter! :lol:

When people wait until I'm done bagging, I always thank them!! So before you call me a troublemaker I can be a really nice person! ;)

Rye, I've got a grocery store story.

A few years ago, I was visiting my parents in Half Moon Bay (HMB), California, which is just about 30 minutes south of San Francisco. At the time my home was in Alabama. We were in a HMB Safeway and I was getting some personal stuff. My parents checked out before me and they waited while I was getting checked out.

After mine was was rung up, the lady cashier asked me very quickly, "Paper, plastic?"

I didn't understand what she said so I asked her, "I'm sorry Ma'am. I didn't understand you. Could say that a little slower?"

Somewhat sarcastically, the lady said very, very slowly and loudly, "Do you want a PLASTIC SACK or a PAPER SACK?"

I looked at my dad and told him I couldn't resist this one. I turned to the lady cashier and said in my best slow Southern drawl, "Ma'am, it doesn't matter to me--I'm bisackual.

Stunned, the lady said, "You're not from around here are you?"

"No Ma'am. I'm from Alabama."

Dad just dropped his head and shook it back and forth.

Not me,I don't like spaghetti.

I like spaghetti, but SWMBO thinks I'm an unwashed heathen because I like to cut it up, instead of twirling it with a fork.

My peeve du jour: Drivers who speed up to block you when you're trying to merge or change lanes.

Once in a while, Karma deals those birds a whack up side the head though. BIL was changing lanes, signal on, mirror and shoulder check etc. when the #@%**(& in the right lane well behind him decides to speed up and prevent him from entering the lane. Crunch.

One little bitty problem: Fellow behind the #@%**(& was in an unmarked police car and saw the whole thing.

Watching the shenanigans around here now, I guess I'll be getting a dash cam.

One of the most aggravating and ignorant driver faux pas in my opinion is when these no driving idiots slow down or, in some cases, practically STOP before changing lanes on a major thoroughfare! If you wish to change lanes, speed up a little and slide into the next available space! That way you don't hold up either lane!!! They're as bad as the stupid ones who stop at the foot of an entrance ramp instead of matching the speed of traffic and merging!!

Having observed the driving tactics of hundreds of thousands of drivers, THIS is the thing that creates MOST traffic tie ups!! I see the SAME people, day after day, starting out in the express or inside lane and then slowing drastically or stopping altogether to change lanes multiple times to get to an exit ramp, across FIVE LANES of traffic!!! Most of them know that the exit they want is ahead, but they wait until the last second to get over and then stop every lane in turn to get there!!

Here's another one!!

The fine for texting etc.. while driving should be raised to $500.00 for the first offense plus loss of driving privileges for six months and forfeiture of the device!!

Second offense: $1000.00 fine, loss of driving privileges for a year, and forfeit the device!!

Third offense: $5000.00 fine and not less than six months in jail!!

I bet THAT would cut way down on the problem!! Oh YEAH!! Make that nation wide!!!

1. People who don't go when the light changes to green.

2. People that are clueless when it comes to 4-way stops.

3. People who think that those in the traffic lane are supposed to give way so they can get in.

1. People who don't go when the light changes to green.

2. People that are clueless when it comes to 4-way stops.

3. People who think that those in the traffic lane are supposed to give way so they can get in.

Clay, you'll just love my driving. I'm the old godger in the red pickup, doing at least 10 MPH below the speed limit, have my left turn signal on constantly, come to an almost complete stop at the intersection, then turn right. ;):P:D

My peeve du jour: Drivers who speed up to block you when you're trying to merge or change lanes.

Once in a while, Karma deals those birds a whack up side the head though. BIL was changing lanes, signal on, mirror and shoulder check etc. when the #@%**(& in the right lane well behind him decides to speed up and prevent him from entering the lane. Crunch.

One little bitty problem: Fellow behind the #@%**(& was in an unmarked police car and saw the whole thing.

Watching the shenanigans around here now, I guess I'll be getting a dash cam.

One that irks me here is people not knowing how to use a roundabout. Our city planner/engineer has been putting in single lane roundabouts in some of the newer retail districts as well as some of the more congested intersections. Today when I was heading back from Sportsman's Warehouse, I almost rear ended an idiot who decided he was going to stop suddenly in the middle of the roundabout to let 3 cars enter. If my horn worked, I would have been laying on it pretty hard :D

I can see some confusion with the multiple lane variety and would be more forgiving in a situation involving one. We only have single lane ones, and they've been in place for well over a year now. There is really no reason for people in town to not have them figured out by now. Yield before entering, don't signal until you reach your exit, and most importantly DON'T STOP ONCE YOU'RE INSIDE!

I feel better now :D

Roundabouts are the ABSOLUTE STUPIDEST thing in road construction!! The inventor of that traffic travesty should be dragged by the heels around every one that has been built!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Roundabouts are the ABSOLUTE STUPIDEST thing in road construction!! The inventor of that traffic travesty should be dragged by the heels around every one that has been built!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Myth busters actually did an episode about them. They hired a bunch of random drivers with no experience with roundabouts. They gave them a couple hours to practice merging and also had the same group go through a simulated 4 way stop. During the practice run they ended up almost dead even in the amount of cars through the intersection. For the second run, the roundabout was far more efficient.

I find they are frustrating to only 2 types of people. Those who aren't used to them / who don't know how to maneuver in them, and those who are stuck behind the former :D

I've "Beta tested" several roundabouts that have recently appeared in the area near me. One is okay, but it's at the end of an off ramp that leads to a park where traffic seldom builds up. There is NO need for that kind of traffic pattern there and it merely confuses and constricts traffic flow. There were only two ways to go before the "roundabout" was built, straight or left! The straight was the ramp back onto the freeway!! STOOPID!!

There are two more that I encounter on a semi regular basis. BOTH back up far worse during rush hours than the intersections they replaced. The drivers assume either a "bully" attitude and force their way into the circle at the expense of everybody else, or they become timid and sit there blocking traffic. These same people drive through these intersections EVERY DAY and so the traffic backs up because the drivers will NEVER change!!! Four lanes of traffic entering from four different directions, and in one case a fifth street entering. A set of traffic lights worked much better!! The traffic now backs up four blocks.

I ain't convinced. I know these areas well and I take alternate routes that would normally be slower, but because of the circles, I now beat the regular pattern by a minute or more most of the time!!

Dishwater, what you have is not a traffic circle problem, but a traffic engineering problem. I sometimes wonder where traffic engineers got their education and where their heads are planted.

Rye, I've got a grocery store story.

A few years ago, I was visiting my parents in Half Moon Bay (HMB), California, which is just about 30 minutes south of San Francisco. At the time my home was in Alabama. We were in a HMB Safeway and I was getting some personal stuff. My parents checked out before me and they waited while I was getting checked out.

After mine was was rung up, the lady cashier asked me very quickly, "Paper, plastic?"

I didn't understand what she said so I asked her, "I'm sorry Ma'am. I didn't understand you. Could say that a little slower?"

Somewhat sarcastically, the lady said very, very slowly and loudly, "Do you want a PLASTIC SACK or a PAPER SACK?"

I looked at my dad and told him I couldn't resist this one. I turned to the lady cashier and said in my best slow Southern drawl, "Ma'am, it doesn't matter to me--I'm bisackual.

Stunned, the lady said, "You're not from around here are you?"

"No Ma'am. I'm from Alabama."

Dad just dropped his head and shook it back and forth.

:lol:

Another one, how about when people are standing in the MIDDLE of the aisle with their cart blocking the whole way! Do they realize that there are actually other people living in this world with them?? I want to say….MOVE IT!!!! OF COURSE I SAY "EXCUSE ME PLEASE" :angry:

Archived