SASS Wire Forum

My log splitter was delivered today

Utah Bob #35998

Gettin too old for that dang axe. Should have a good supply of firewood ready by the end of summer. :D

4HHzUX.jpg

Wait till he brings in all the air conditioned farm equipment.

I have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

Before you fire it up, check that all the hydrolic fittings are tight!!!! Don't ask how I know this!!!!!!!! :excl::excl:

Knarley

Been using one for two days. Had a maple about 3' in diameter dropped Wednesday. I'll have it all split tonight. The only thing better than having a splitter is having a friend with a splitter. He has a hot tub too. Gonna need it for my back. Didn't realize how big that tree was!

The ranch got one for Christmas, 'cause there's three of us who have woodstoves. Best investment my mom-in-law's cousin ever made! :D

Before you fire it up, check that all the hydrolic fittings are tight!!!! Don't ask how I know this!!!!!!!! :excl::excl:

Knarley

No hydraulics on this one. Works like a champ. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ZbxpfuIviao

Looking at all of that work, a cold chill passed through my body. I am gonna need another beer.

I'm right there with ya.

Bottles, a couple of beers for me an ol' Badger!

I have to draw the line somewhere. ;)

UB,

If you draw a line, use one of the CO Dept of Transportation highway line painting trucks. No need to tucker yourself out. ;)

DR makes very good equipment and their customer support is very good also. I've got one of their big brush chippers.

With a bit of thought, you can outsplit a splitter with very little effort....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2vThcK-idm0

Just be sure to let your wood freeze first, strap/chain it to keep it together, raise it on a stump so you can work at waist height, and use short strokes - let the head of the maul do the work.

Still, that's a nifty little machine.

LL

No hydraulics on this one. Works like a champ. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ZbxpfuIviao

How's it do on dried juniper knots? :D

Open another beer boys, I think Ole Loophole is gonna split another chunk.

That sure do have the smell of work on it. I just don't care how easy it is,

I have been around the block enough to know that drinking beer with yer

buddies is a lot more fun than trying to lose weight chopping wood. :D

Open another beer boys, I think Ole Loophole is gonna split another chunk.

That sure do have the smell of work on it. I just don't care how easy it is,

I have been around the block enough to know that drinking beer with yer

buddies is a lot more fun than trying to lose weight chopping wood. :D

Badger:

You boys in the balmy NW can afford to pass by the warming qualities of wood.....

Around here, you need to get warmed four times by your wood - once cutting it, once splitting it, once hauling it, and once burning it. Otherwise, you're just plain wasteful...and cold.

Yankees are a thrifty lot. :D

LL

Oh, a teensy tiny splitter.

Big enough for my needs. Most of my trees are 10-12" pinion and juniper. At least the ones I'll mess with.

;)

Gee, my log splitters don't look nothing like that. When I was a teenager my dad and I cut wood with a two man saw and split it with a hammer and wedges. I've graduated to a chainsaw but am still using the same hammer and wedges to split it. There is something that just satisfies my soul to tap those wedges in and then pound them through with that 8 lb sledge hammer. At 68 my back don't like it none and I can only swing that hammer six or eight times before I have to take a break but it still makes me feel like my dad is there beside me saying "common you can do better than that, put a little muscle in that swing".

Badger:

You boys in the balmy NW can afford to pass by the warming qualities of wood.....

Around here, you need to get warmed four times by your wood - once cutting it, once splitting it, once hauling it, and once burning it. Otherwise, you're just plain wasteful...and cold.

Yankees are a thrifty lot. :D

LL

You forgot cleaning up the ashes, and then hauling them back out.............that makes six ;)

Just be sure to let your wood freeze first, strap/chain it to keep it together, raise it on a stump so you can work at waist height, and use short strokes - let the head of the maul do the work.

LL

That's the method I use. Been waiting 10 years for the wood to freeze

Am I the only one who expected to see a picture of a newborn grandson?

That's the method I use. Been waiting 10 years for the wood to freeze

Am I the only one who expected to see a picture of a newborn grandson?

Very little effort my a**.

I got tired just watching by the second split. I'll stick with electricity. :D

LL

LL, There ain't anything connected with splitting wood, that is very little effort. 'Cept maybe drinking beer or coffee after the

fact.

It is a fact, however, soft wood splits easier than hard wood. I know that from first hand experience.

But since PSE came to town I just turn up the thermostat and wait for the gas to ignite in the firebox.

Archived