SASS Wire Forum

Pros and Cons of the Henry Big Boy rifles

I shoot the BB as my only match rifle, it was what i could afford to get into the sport, So how about a chalange to all the talented gunsmiths in SASS, Short stroke and slick a BB What say?

Renegade Ripley

And what makes you think some already have tried to make them work better and gave up??

If I remember right. The company that makes them even sent one to one of our good smiths to see what they could

do with it. They gave up as I recall.

The unfortunate truth is nobody shoots these rifles well and fast. I have seen them lock up and I have seen them run. I have always had to respect a Henry shooter for something other than his speed and prowess with his rifle. If you want a gun that you will need to make excuses and apologies for then by all means buy a Henry xxx Boy. There have been knowledgeable folks posting about the cons here and a valiant champion of the pig in the poke has arrived on scene of late.

Really?

Reloads on Marlins and Henry Big Boys take a lot less time than most 73s.

Then I guess shooting a 97 shotgun by loading one at a time must be a real "bitch".

And many shooters don't use that loading gate on their 73s either. Must be a "bitch" thing.

I am thinking of stages that require multiple rounds on the clock as part of the stage description.

I've seen one that ran well for it's owner and several that did not. Kinda like a 94. It will get you into the game but you won't like it for long.

The BB seems like a rifle designed by a company that is not interested in visiting a CAS match. It is good enough for field, range and plinking tasks, but will never be a serious CAS gun.

Garth, get to some matches and pay attention to the rifles being shot by anyone shooting stages under 30 seconds. You will likely see that this game is ruled by 1866/1873 copies and JM marked Marlins. There are a few shooters that make a pump rifle or 1892 look very good, but it takes a lot of practice and shooting most weekends to be that guy.

Just like in the real old west, equipment was as important as intensity, ability, wisdom and luck.

The number one CON against the Ugly Boy is the claim by the owner that the company has a direct lineage back to B. Tyler Henry. Mr Imperato knows this is a bald-face blatant lie yet he persists in perpetrating it. Dishonest and despicable.

Thru the years I have seen maybe almost a dozen or so Ugly Boys show up to a match After stage after stage of jammamatic frustration only one of those rifles showed up for a second match. It did not show for a third. Who in their right mind would want to buy an over-priced clunky jammamatlc piece of junk to try and compete in our game? NO one would as no one needs that level of frustration, there are plenty of other things that might gremlin you up there is no reason to try it with a tomato stake guaranteed to wreck your run.

The prototype photo of the BB had a loading gate. If the company had kept that on the production gun and sorted out the jammamatic issues things might be different today. But that is not the route they took and that is why you seldom see one at a CAS match

I bought a BB in 45 LC in 2012 because it was an absolutely gorgeous rifle & was smooth as silk. Then, I found out about CAS, & shot my 1st match in November of the same year. The BB jammed right off the bat with most of the bullets still in the rifle. I didn't have any misses, & I believe I would have shot clean my first match otherwise. Lots of the cowboys told me the Henry's just won't run at speed. Great for deer hunting, but not great for CAS. I bought a '73, got it slicked up, & almost never had a problem with it. I still love the way the Henry looks, & it's still fun to shoot, but it lives most of its life in the safe.

For anyone who wants to also excel in CAS, in addition to just having a good time, I think a '73 is the way to go.

I am thinking of stages that require multiple rounds on the clock as part of the stage description.

Yeah? And? Open the lever, throw around in the opening, close lever and shoot. Repeat as necessary. Like a Marlin. And I am not a Big Boy fan.

• 2 months later...

BTT by special request.

Wasn't me. :D :D

No matter what level shooter you are, it's nice to have equipment that works smoothly and helps you shoot to your personal potential in what is a timed competition. The Big Boy doesn't do that.

I have a theory that those who believe that the Big Boy is an attractive rifle all drive classic AMC Pacers.

Well it's past five and the guns are away, break out the sippin whiskey!

Excellant suggestion. I just did!

This post is all Wrong it says Pros and Cons of the BB...

I see no PROs for this gun in this game unless you count aggravation as a virtue ...

The BBs. in .357 are even worse than the .44s and .45s...

Jabez Cowboy

They are (in my opinion) ugly rifles. Should we start a poll? :)

I vote ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've dated some pretty good looking women but when I woke up the next morning I found out otherwise, kinda like taking a gorgeous Henry to your first match and finding out how ugly it operates.

Archived