SASS Wire Forum

Uberti or Henry Silverboy?

Major Art Tillery

My dad is due to retire this year after many years of running a maintainer for the local county. I want to get him something special for all the years of work he put in supporting my mom, two brothers and I. I am thinking of either a Uberti or Henry Silver boy... Kinda leaning towards the Henry because of the Octagon barrel. The wood I hope to have sent off to Klassic Laser works and have Taz engrave stock and forearm. My question is any opinions on the best choice for rifle? Pros or cons in either?

Thanks ya,

Major

Henry will do a customized serial number on some models. Might be great for a retirement gift.

Uberti if he does any cowboy shooting.

Possibly the Henry if you just want a good looking presentation rifle for him.

If you're talking a .22, my kids' Henry has been through 3 years of them both shooting matches 1-2 times a month with no problems at all.

Henry without question. I have several .22 Henrys in different models and have used them as CAS loaners and for the Boy Scouts and family without a glitch for thousands of rounds. I also shoot Henry Big Boys in .357, .44 and .45 and have been for years. The number of .45 Colt rounds of black powder is close to trans infinity! :)

I have had both, and sold the Uberti. The Henry is the best 22 of the two by far. If it is going to be just looked at, save up a few extra dollars and get the Silver Eagle. Very nice looking rifle.

There is a used Uberti 66 in .22 for sale in the classifieds of this board. You might want to take a look at it.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=245179

Caliber and what is he going to be doing with it. Uberti has octagon barrels for all of their rifles. If he is just going to be plinking with it and or Cowboy shooting a Uberti 73 in 38/357 can't be beat.

Ike

I thought the Henry Silver boy was only rimfire.

For years I was the match director of both a Cowboy Rimfire and Rimfire Steel Challenge matches. My assessment for competition is that the Uberti Silverboy's are a little rough and tempermental. The Henry's are like butter but seem prone to jamming if run at speed also I have seen a number of them sent back for failure of plastic internal parts. (Although Henry has stood behind them and repaired them quickly) The best lever 22 that I have seen is the Browning BL-22. There is a higher grade ( I think grade II) that has a engraved silver receiver.

Now disregard everything I just said if your plan is to kill tin cans and squirrel's. They are all good guns for that!

I have both and the Henry version is by far smoother and in my opinion, better made (unfortunately it is exactly the opposite when referring to the center-fire Henry rifles)

But if you want to buy your dad something Really special in a 22 lever, you can still find Uberti 1866 in 22RF here and there. Right now there is a beautiful ENGRAVED example at the Allen TX Cabelas in the Gun Library for $899. This is a smok'n deal and the rifle is beautiful and leaps and bounds above any other 22lever RF in my opinion.

If it wasn't so close to Christmas Bill Paying Time....I'd grab it myself!

Archived