SASS Wire Forum

Lionel Trains

Utah Bob #35998

A hand held, manually operated, non electronic, pre GPS device. ;)

I got one of their train sets when I was six. Christmas 1953. Gave it to my son when he turned six. When my daughter turned six she wanted to know where her train set was so I ran out and bought her one too.

My Lionel set. Christmas '54. :D

gH6BCh.jpg

My Lionel set Christmas '54. :D

9tekFR.jpg

I just showed this to BlueJeans. She said, "He's cute, who' s little boy is that"? I then told her its the guy that just found a vein today, but isn't rich. She walked away to finish dishes, shaking her head. :lol: MT

I'm waiting for her to say, "Now who is it really"?

Playing with trains will age you premturely.

Accessory to the compass. All you need is this and a 2nd Lt. ;)

6Nh9rP.jpg

When I first started boating, compass, charts and sextant was all we would use crossing to the Bahamas and Bimini twice a year. Then when we bought the Carver 48ft, it came with GPS. What was good, it was also tied to auto-pilot. Set a course and all corrections etc. would be taken care of. The compass left in the drawer, years later, sold the sextant to a collector. GPS, is the wave of the future. :) MT

Why would you need a 2nd Lt. UB???

Comic relief.

When I first started boating, compass, charts and sextant was all we would use crossing to the Bahamas and Bimini twice a year. Then when we bought the Carver 48ft, it came with GPS. What was good, it was also tied to auto-pilot. Set a course and all corrections etc. would be taken care of. The compass left in the drawer, years later, sold the sextant to a collector. GPS, is the wave of the future. :) MT

Until the Zombie Apocalypse, and the grid shuts down. Then our archaic skills will be in high demand!

Will navigate for canned goods and ammo.

And for God's sake, orient the damn thing north! :D

I got my map reading education from 1 Lt, Herbert Sobel.

We don't need no steenkin' compass.

Oh God!

In the ground units I served with, the 1st Lt carried and held the map. The comic relief part came in when one (1st Lt) would ask, "Do you have any idea where we are?"

Coffinmaker

I got a Marx (we was pore.) in 1950 and in 2012, both the same.

My brother, six years my senior, already had gotten a Marx so the folks determined there was no reason to buy another even though his didn't work right. Never did get a Lionel or that Winchester 22 under the Christmas tree like all those boys in Boys Life magazine.

I got Lionel trains for Christmas and birthdays for most of my life. Most recently, I received a set of switches and a large trestle a couple of years ago!!

Howdy,

I know just the guy who would love that like it was his lost son.

No chance you have two?

Best

CR

Alas, no. They are getting harder to find in any decent condition and price.

Why would you need a 2nd Lt. UB???

The most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd Lt. with a map and a compass.

Out on open water, knowing how to read charts, use a sextant are very important to finding were your at, before following a compass point. On land, you have objects as points of reference you can use, there are none except the sun positions during daylight, and at night, depending on the Hemisphere your at, if clear, the stars, North Star or Southern Cross. Bimini, only 50 to 55 miles from Miami can be missed by a degree and never seen. Also the approach is hazardest because of the inlet being narrow do to it filling in. Once there, you use a post on shore to guide directly to, then a 180 at 55 yards off.

I still remember my first crossing, with just BlueJeans helping read the dept gauge as we approached, when you have just 1 foot clearance between you and jagged bottom, it gets hairy. But, I did it many times with compass. MT

The most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd Lt. with a map and a compass.

I've heard the Fourth Infantry Div. patch referred to as "4 LTs pointing North"

About 20 years ago when I was in the Coast Guard Aux, I took their Navigation Course and part of my qualification. We had to learn all the navigation stuff with compass, charts & sextant, even though we had GPS. The reason was "What if you electronics failed, What would you do?" Didn't have any of the handheld like those that are available now.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just brought up something I forgotten about.....another of those "vein" things..LOL

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

got my first Lionel set when I was 7 and had it for 20 years ; added to it many times over. Sold it all in LA, CA to a big Hobby Shop and got $$$$ credit. I jumped into HO in 72 and never looked back. Two weeks ago I sold 100% of my trains to a fellow in NC. Kept all the plates, hats, books and pictures though. Lots of great memories.

Cheers, Hoss

Archived