SASS Wire Forum

Newbie Question re SASS Revolvers

Lt John Dunbar

Greetings, All!

I'm working on acquiring my guns. So far I have a .357 Blackhawk in 4 5/8, a Rossi 92 .357, and just got an old, but in great shape, Stevens 311 shotgun.

Acquisitions almost done! So 1 revolver to go.

So, here's my question: I'm going to get another Blackhawk 357, except this time I'm really tempted to get it in 6 1/2. Seems like it would add another dimension of interest, i.e. to shoot revolvers of different length barrels........?

Does anybody do that? Is this crazy?

Thanks!

JJD

Nope, not at all. If that's what you want to do and it makes you happy go for it. I used to shoot a 5 1/2 and a 7 1/2 because I wanted to. Now I shoot mostly 5 1/2. I've seen shooters using Buntlines, Spencer rifles, and single shot shotguns. It's what they want to shoot so they do. This is supposed to be fun for the person doing it. If you smile each time you let a round go downrange then you've already won. Keep in mind though, if you want to shoot gunfighter or duelist Blackhawks aren't legal in those categories.

Yep, do what ya want. I would shoot the short barrel, X-draw and the longer strong side. I do this when I shoot my 1860 C&B Revolvers. One is a 5 1/2" the other an 8". Just remember to practice the X-draw dance so you do not break the 170 rule.

Thanks, Guys! I found a great deal on an unused double strong side Mernickles rig with 7 1/2 on right side and 5 1/2 on left, and decided to buy it, and then thought, why not get a longer gun for the right side....? And the more I thought about it, I thought it might be fun and challenging to use both barrel lengths.

Got the boots...........now all I need is a hat!

Well, not all. Some shooting talent, and lots of ammo will come in handy too.

Ohhhhh!!!! Brings up another question:

Is a gun cart realllllly necessary?

Thanks!

JJD

Yep, I'm with Lefty Dude.

Been known to shoot my buntline and snubbie as a pair.

It's a hoot!

--Dawg

prairiedawgsbuntlinebelchingsmoke&flame_

baby_ROA.jpg

Dawg...you got it going on man....love that pic of the buntline...and paired with a snubbie...too cool....Jim

Yep, do what ya want. I would shoot the short barrel, X-draw and the longer strong side. I do this when I shoot my 1860 C&B Revolvers. One is a 5 1/2" the other an 8". Just remember to practice the X-draw dance so you do not break the 170 rule.

There is no requirement for any kind of "dance", I wish people would quit posting this nonsense.

Gun carts are a necessary evil. A place for ammo, long guns between shooting, and snacks or cooler.

Welcome to the fun,

Barry Sloe

Yep you will want a gun cart. Most tend to start out with big elaborate carts but sooner or later almost everyone gets a smaller cart. I have a mid-sized one made out of a double jogging stroller. Works great but takes up too much room in the car. Working on a much smaller all wood design that will fold up smaller. Be mindful of the weight.

Get one that holds your long guns upright and not horizontal. Some clubs have issues with long guns laid horizontal in a wagon style cart.

Best advice on the cart is to do the same thing you did with the guns. Take a look at what your fellow shooters are using. Ask them what they like, dislike, or would do different. Many clubs will have a loaner cart you can use for a couple of matches till you can buy or build one.

Until you get one you can make do with a range bag large enough to hold 2 boxes of SG shells, your rifle / pistol ammo and any other bare necessities. This will work as long as you have a place to put your long guns. Sometimes you can share cart space on another shooters cart or if your club has racks at each stage you can keep your long guns there between stages. Talk to the range master and I am sure he will find you a solution till you can get a cart.

Ditto what Sedalia Dave said about a cart. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you want and have room to transport and strength to handle.

Mine also provides a base to mount an umbrella too, a little shade is a good thing on a hot summer day.

I went to my first couple matches with a range bag instead of a cart and it was simply too much work. Eventually a member offered me an old one for a reasonable price and it's probably the best money I've spent in this sport. It instantly made matches more enjoyable. Last time I went to a regular range, I found myself wishing I'd brought the gun cart and wondering if the range would allow it.

Ditto what Sedalia Dave said about a cart. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you want and have room to transport and strength to handle.

Mine also provides a base to mount an umbrella too, a little shade is a good thing on a hot summer day.

+100 on the shade. Besides keeping you cool it prevents your long guns from branding your palms when you pick them up. :P;)

I like your pistol setup. Real similar to the rig Hugh O'Brian wore in The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp TV series. Not everything in CAS is about being the fastest. It is about having fun.

Your Stevens SXS almost indestructable but you will need to do a couple of things to make it a little more fun to shoot. I have two that are heavily slicked up and work well for me but I was hard headed and determined to make them work. Baikals and Stogers are easier to modify for CAS. Most experienced shooters are suprised to learn that I can drop shells in a Steven as well as I do. The problem is that the locking lug on a Stevens is right between the barrels and gets in the way when loading.

I recomend that you shoot it for a few matches and if you still want to keep it I'll email you pictures on what I did to mine to make it work better. Issue is that after you modify the gun it is pretty much a CAS only gun.

Other things to do; put in this Wolfe spring kit from Brownells. It has 60 lb hammer springs vice 90 lb. Will allow the gun to stay fully open while loading. Let me warn you that changing the springs yourself is challenging to say the least. I recomend that unless you make a living as mechanic that you have a CAS gunsmith change out the hammer springs. Doesn't take much in the way of special tools but technique and finess are needed in spades. You may find that the LH barrel (second shot) has light primer strikes after putting in the lighter locking lever spring. If it does you will need to shim the spring to increase the tension. Again this spring can be very dificult to reinstall and the potential to hurt yourself is high so a gunsmith is recomended.

You will probably want to cut down the barrels on the Steven at some point. I woudn't go any shorter than 23 inches. You need the barrel weight to make the gun stay open. With Stock springs cutting down the barrels is not an option.

You can learn a little about slicking up your 311 on Marauder's Old Iron page. I didn't do everything exactly as stated on the page but it is a good place for your gunsmith to start. To make the gun open wider you can reprofile the underside of the cocking lever. This is a long and dificult process as the hammers and springs have to come out to access the cocking lever and modifying it is a disassemble, grind a little, test fit, repeat pocess. Take off too much and you will have to buy a new cocking lever and start all over. Word of caution, the early model 311's have a wishbone shaped cocking lever. This style is all but impossible to find anymore. Before you or anyone else attempts to do any profiling on it be sure you have a replacement. The later models have different hammers and cocking levers that are still available. You can retrofit the older models to use the new style cocking lever and hammers but it is not a drop in fit and will require some fitting that may require the sears to be reprofiled for reliable operation.

Wow, thanks all, and SD, that info is priceless.

So I'll be procurring a cart, shade, some parts, and a gunsmith!

I was looking online at the carts from Rugged Gear, esp the 2 gun version Any pro's/con's on those?

Thanks again!

JJD

With basic skill/tools you can make a nice wood cart for <$100.00 in a weekend. Plans all over the net for you to start with and modify.

There is nothing wrong with the Rugged Gear carts, a lot of folks have the Rugded Gear carts and like them. If I were you I would get the 4 gun cart. Not much bigger and sooner or later you will want to carry more than two long guns or share your cart space with a new shooter.

I like the wooden carts. But that is a personal preference. My soon to be second cart will be all wood with a couple of removeable boxes and folding riser.

To give you an idea of what you can do with a good imagination, time and a little money; check out The Munitions Ambulator by Rolan Kraps.

JJD,

If you are near Benton, Il come out to the Nason Mining Co Regulators match next Saturday. No need for a cart or second pistol, I can supply them, may even have a friend with a Black Hawk like you are considering. Entry fee is free to first time shooters. You supply ammo for your guns and I will bring ammo for my loaners. If you can make it let me know. We can make arrangements on where to meet. The range is a little off the beaten path .

If you are not near Benton PLEASE attend a local match before making any more purchases. Both ranges I regularly shoot at have loaner carts. Once you have seen what others are using you can make a more informed decision on what you want. If you are handy a cart can be built very cheaply, assuming you do not find one used because some one upgraded or downsized.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

JJD,

If you are near Benton, Il come out to the Nason Mining Co Regulators match next Saturday. No need for a cart or second pistol, I can supply them, may even have a friend with a Black Hawk like you are considering. Entry fee is free to first time shooters. You supply ammo for your guns and I will bring ammo for my loaners. If you can make it let me know. We can make arrangements on where to meet. The range is a little off the beaten path .

If you are not near Benton PLEASE attend a local match before making any more purchases. Both ranges I regularly shoot at have loaner carts. Once you have seen what others are using you can make a more informed decision on what you want. If you are handy a cart can be built very cheaply, assuming you do not find one used because some one upgraded or downsized.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Thanks, Smoke, I would love to do that but I'm on the wrong north end of the state, yes right up here in Crook County. Gotta get that fixed one of these days. I'll be going out to the Tri County Gun Club, where I'm a member. It's about a hundred miles west of here and they have an active SASS group which meets on the second Saturday of each month. Had to miss last weekend, but looking forward to May.

Sedalia Dave, the 4 gun cart sounds like a good idea. But I think I will hold off on the rest of this, as suggested, until I can actually meet with the guys.

You guys are awesome.

JJD

Shot most of last season using guns in 3 different Calibers with barrel lengths from 4 5/8 to 8 inches seldom were two of the same barrel length. Used three different rifles in two different calibers at one ten stage match,,, why ??? Why Not ?

All were loaded with full case loads of Blackpowder , shotguns were both over 80 years old with hammers, one in 16 and the other in 12 ga.

Having fun Your Way is what it's about ....

Jabez Cowboy

Wow, thanks all, and SD, that info is priceless.

So I'll be procurring a cart, shade, some parts, and a gunsmith!

I was looking online at the carts from Rugged Gear, esp the 2 gun version Any pro's/con's on those?

Thanks again!

JJD

Hi Lt. John,

I :wub: my four-gun Rugged Gear cart. Remembering where it came from makes me :D . It was a gift.

A two-gun cart would be inadequate, especially at some annual matches when shooting a variety of side matches, unless you can park really close. Also, EVERYONE needs to carry brass picking equipment; a picker and a basket on a broom handle; or, something similar. The other brass pickers will appreciate the help. :)

Regards,

Allie

Hi Lt. John,

I :wub: my four-gun Rugged Gear cart. Remembering where it came from makes me :D . It was a gift.

A two-gun cart would be inadequate, especially at some annual matches when shooting a variety of side matches, unless you can park really close. Also, EVERYONE needs to carry brass picking equipment; a picker and a basket on a broom handle; or, something similar. The other brass pickers will appreciate the help. :)

Regards,

Allie

Sounds like great advice. How long before I catch up to you in posts? Guessing maybe in the year 2300!

And thanks, Desert Pete, as well. Weight and volume are issues, since I don't really have the right vehicle for my outdoor pursuits.....yet. Old Cisco can only carry so much!

JJD

OP

Rugged Gear also makes a new 3 gun muzzle up gun cart. I just purchased one and I am very happy with it.

Sounds like great advice. How long before I catch up to you in posts? Guessing maybe in the year 2300!

JJD

Ha! That took me about 10 years. Take a look at some of the Saloonatics. Or, look here. http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?app=members&module=list I'd be in sixth place, if I were listed. I guess Moderators aren't in those stats. :unsure:

Huh? My search didn't show up in the link I posted.

I went to More Search Options and put Post Count and Descending Order as Filters. It listed members in order by number of posts. First place has almost three times the number of posts as I do. Third place has over 36K posts and he started posting about five years after I did.

:)

i started out with a 4 3/4 & 5 1/2 setup for similar reasons to yours , i still shoot them more often than i do the matched pair i put together later - those get relegated to backup most often ,

Huh? My search didn't show up in the link I posted.

I went to More Search Options and put Post Count and Descending Order as Filters. It listed members in order by number of posts. First place has almost three times the number of posts as I do. Third place has over 36K posts and he started posting about five years after I did.

:)

Probably wrong thread, but ------------ Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Smoke, I would love to do that but I'm on the wrong north end of the state, yes right up here in Crook County. Gotta get that fixed one of these days. I'll be going out to the Tri County Gun Club, where I'm a member. It's about a hundred miles west of here and they have an active SASS group which meets on the second Saturday of each month. Had to miss last weekend, but looking forward to May.

Sedalia Dave, the 4 gun cart sounds like a good idea. But I think I will hold off on the rest of this, as suggested, until I can actually meet with the guys.

You guys are awesome.

JJD

JJD,

If you ever make it to this end of the state give me a shout. My home club hosts the state match so our trails may cross some day.

Smoke

Archived