SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA 45 LC Loads/Ammo to Avoid

Capt. Wild Willy McDonald

Hello Gang

Are Colt SAA's "built like tanks" or do they have to be somewhat "babied"? I'm a proud new owner of a (used) Colt SAA in 45LC and I'm wondering whether there are any specific loads/ammo to avoid. For instance, I understand that the 45 LC "+P's" may be an issue in most revolvers - not just Colts. This won't be no "safe queen". I intended to shoot it quite a bit.

I'm a reloader but haven't tooled up for 45LC. So I'll be using the factory stuff for now to shoot and collect brass.

Also, could you recommend any factory ammo for hunting (to use as a backup sidearm while in the field)?

Thanks.

CWW

That Colt is good, but there is load data to avoid, specifically high power Ruger / Contender type data. It will perform well as a field gun with 250 / 255 cast bullet data available in your Lyman or other reloading manuals. Just remember that it isn't a magnum type gun, but if I had to keep just 1 revolver, it would be hard to choose between my Colt or Ruger! Some times I have used jacketed loads in mine, but everybody's taste is different.

CWW -

The Colt SAA will handle SAAMI specification loads. In other words, any factory ammo made for .45 Colt that is NOT marked to indicate that it is higher than the industry standard (SAAMI) pressures for .45 Colt.

I don't remember that there are any commercial loads marked as "+P" in .45 colt. I'll take that back. Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore and Glaser all label some of their hot hunting and self-defense ammo as +P. Don't use that! There are a couple of manufacturers and most loading data manuals that have "Contender or Ruger blackhawk only" or sometimes just "Ruger only" marked loads - those are definitely too hot for a Colt.

A Winchester Silvertip 225 grain slug would be fine for reasonable hunting purposes. Hornady makes some fine 45 Colt hunting/defense ammo, too. The Colt is not a ".44 mag Super Blackhawk" - don't try to run it with loads like that.

Good luck, GJ

Just looked up Hornady's Leverevolution and they indicate:

"The new LEVERevolution® round is loaded to SAAMI spec pressure so it’s safe for all 45 Colt firearms, AND the specially designed FTX™ bullet delivers exceptional terminal performance that makes it a great choice for hunting. If you want to take a classic 45 Colt out in the field and have 100% peace of mind that there’s no chance it will damage the gun — and deliver LEVERevolution® performance you’ve come to trust — Hornady has the answer."

Sounds like this fits the bill!!

Thanks for your responses.

I have used and like the lever revolution in my .45. If you reload, keep the brass separate as it is cut shorter to accommodate the flex tip bullets.

Hoss, out of curiosity, have you shot game (or non-game like hog, etc) with it? Just wondering about the performance.

I've used leverevolution and American eagle 225 grn jsp for deer both work well

I've used leverevolution and American eagle 225 grn jsp for deer both work well

Out of a revolver or long gun? Just asking as velocities will differ. Thanks

Out of an 8" '58 clone and a 5 1/2" vaquero

3 with the Vaquero out to 50 yrds one with the remmie at about 20 yrds

I have 3 Colt SA's in .45 Colt, and shoot the heck out of them. One is my granddads Colt he bought in 1918. IN that gun I had to replace the hand. Remember a Colt is not a Ruger. Any factory load marked .45 Colt will work in your gun just fine. All my reloads are up to but NOT over factory specs. No reason your Colt wont last long enough to be handed down to your grandkids. And Like someone mentioned above..Its not a magnum gun.

Good luck amigo

Tascosa,

I appreciate your input. I have a feeling that this is going to make a very nice hand-me-down (in addition to my other future SAA's!).

What did you mean by "remember a Colt is not a Ruger"? Are you referring to the "magnum" rating on some of the Rugers?

Capt. Wild Willy, Rugers are just a mite stronger all the way around than Colts. I'm referring to the SA's only. Im just not a Ruger person. Grew up with Colts and Im sticking to em!

Rugers can take heaver loads than Colt SA's but I've always found that factory loads work for me in Colts. I don't need a magnum.. At least not yet ;)

Good Luck

Capt. Wild Willy, Rugers are just a mite stronger all the way around than Colts. I'm referring to the SA's only. Im just not a Ruger person. Grew up with Colts and Im sticking to em!

Rugers can take heaver loads than Colt SA's but I've always found that factory loads work for me in Colts. I don't need a magnum.. At least not yet ;)

Good Luck

Tascosa,

Thanks for your input!

In various sources over the years I've seen three levels of loads for the 45 Colt. First is standard pressure (about 13,000 psi) and older Colts shouldn't be loaded beyond that. Second is about 20,000 psi and this is OK in modern Colts and similar sized revolvers. Last is "Ruger only" (about 30,000+ psi) and this is only for large frame Rugers and similar guns. It is easy to get 900+ fps with a 250 grain bullet at standard pressure levels and there is no real need for anything more in the 45 Colt, it does the job.

Just remember that the target just has to go "DING" ....it doesn't have to fall over.

Thanks to all for your responses. Not sure where I got the impression that Colt SAA's (even 3rd gens) were somewhat "delicate". Now I'm confident that I can shoot any standard factory "45LC" loads or reloads that fall within specs.

Thanks to all for your responses. Not sure where I got the impression that Colt SAA's (even 3rd gens) were somewhat "delicate". Now I'm confident that I can shoot any standard factory "45LC" loads or reloads that fall within specs.

You will find almost no factory loads labeled ".45 LC" as the official name for the cartridge is .45 Colt, regardless of what Uberti sometimes stamps on their barrels. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

According to one version of history they started calling it 45 Long Colt after the introduction of the 45 Scholfield. It would have been more logical to call the Schofield the 45 Short Colt, but when have you seen anything logical in the naming of cartridges.

According to one version of history they started calling it 45 Long Colt after the introduction of the 45 Scholfield. It would have been more logical to call the Schofield the 45 Short Colt, but when have you seen anything logical in the naming of cartridges.

Smith and Wesson developed the '45 Schofield' (proper name is 45 S&W). There is no way S&W would call their cartridge 45 Short Colt. I think the term Long Colt came about because later on the Army used a hybrid round which had the same length, bullet and powder charge as the 45 Schofield/S&W but with the rim of the 45 Colt.

There is no way S&W would call their cartridge 45 Short Colt.

​Now there's an irrefutable fact!

I think the term Long Colt came about because later on the Army used a hybrid round which had the same length, bullet and powder charge as the 45 Schofield/S&W but with the rim of the 45 Colt.

Yup, the Army did download the 45 Colt from 40 grains to 35 grains. I've heard that it was to match the load of the 45 S&W Schofield, so the troopers would have the same load in either cartridge.

In any case, gentlemen, we don't have to order through 1880 or 1890 Army Quartermaster channels. Thus, we don't have to try to distinguish between our currently made .45 Colt and those unusual, special military loads and cases that no one has seen in over a hundred years.

:D:lol:

Thus, the original and official (see SAAMI) cartridge name, and the one stamped on almost every case made in the last 40 years, is still the best (in my book)- .45 Colt.

(Don't really understand why we have to have this arcane historical research every time this comes up.)

Good luck, GJ

(Don't really understand why we have to have this arcane historical research every time this comes up.)

Good luck, GJ

Probably same reason load data keeps getting listed :o:D :D :D

In any case, gentlemen, we don't have to order through 1880 or 1890 Army Quartermaster channels. Thus, we don't have to try to distinguish between our currently made .45 Colt and those unusual, special military loads and cases that no one has seen in over a hundred years.

:D:lol:

Thus, the original and official (see SAAMI) cartridge name, and the one stamped on almost every case made in the last 40 years, is still the best (in my book)- .45 Colt.

Good luck, GJ

I say 45 colt here and when talking to any cowboys. I always say 45 long colt at gun stores though. I can't tell you how many times I've asked for 45 colt and been handed a box of 45 acp. When I say I want revolver ammo, they always say "oh you mean 45 long colt". Sometimes it's more important to get what you need without a hassle than to be right.

I say 45 colt here and when talking to any cowboys. I always say 45 long colt at gun stores though. I can't tell you how many times I've asked for 45 colt and been handed a box of 45 acp. When I say I want revolver ammo, they always say "oh you mean 45 long colt". Sometimes it's more important to get what you need without a hassle than to be right.

When I buy ammo (very rarely), if any clerk is an idiot and can't read or tell the difference between ammo, I point out to him that he is a danger to his customer base. Mainly to keep the next customer a little safer.

We don't HAVE to put up with poorly educated folks at gun stores. Probably the biggest pool of uneducated folks in the gun industry stands behind gun counters. And some of the most unsafe gun handlers, too. Speak up - they need the straightening out!

Just my HO. GJ

I agree with you, GJ, but then again in New Mexico you probably have a plethora of gun shops you can go to. In the bay area of California, you are a bit limited. And granted I haven't experienced the issue in awhile now because it haven't bought factory ammo for quite some time.

Yup, the Army did download the 45 Colt from 40 grains to 35 grains. I've heard that it was to match the load of the 45 S&W Schofield, so the troopers would have the same load in either cartridge.

Doc: as far as I know, the Army load for 45 Colt was 30 grains, not 35.

45ColtBenetPrimedBox02_zps0e1df06e.jpg

I have not bought any factory 45 Colt in a long time, but when I did, I always corrected clerks who referred to it as 45 Long Colt.

I know some Fred Meyer stores up here don't know between 45 colt and .45 acp I just tell them the rims are different. Just wondering can you reload aluminum casings or not.

No, don't reload aluminum cases! The primers, at least in Blazer, are a type of Berdan primer and can't easily be replaced, plus the cases are made to shoot, then scrap out.

Good luck, GJ

The .45 Colt is the only Colt round without a "Long" or "Short" designation. The others: .41, .38, .32, etc. are all "Long" or "Shot". :)

The weak points of the Colt SAA are the cylinder walls: about .045" from the chamber to the exterior of the cylinder. Loads that have too much pressure will bulge or even split this thin area. It takes a lot to do that, but it is the weak spot.

Stay within factory-specs or reloading for Colt SAA data. Ruger SAs and Redhawks, S&W Model 25s,Freedom Arms and Thompson-Center Contenders will have a separate reloading listing for higher pressure loads.

Several gunwriters have reminded us of their hunting success using the .45 Cotl with 250+ heavy bullets and deep penetration. Deep penetration is more a matter of bullet design and placement than velocity (a.k.a. pressure).

Mike Venturino, loading with Swiss BP and a 250 grain bullet, produced loads that were a tad over 1000fps through a 7.5 inch barrel Colt SAA. That's a stout load, and perfectly safe. Why even mess with that new fangled powder? ;)

Archived