SASS Wire Forum

Don't dress as a Native American

Shawnee McGrutt

What do you think? No statement as if the costumes were inappropriate or made fun of Native Americans. It was a Thanksgiving party and you were to dress as a Pilgram or a Native American.

Go to: WGME.com and there will be an article about a party at Bowdin College.

I wouldn't do it. (even though I am part Cherokee) I also won't dress as a woman, Arab, or African American. I don't see a point in it. Maybe for 8 year olds in a school play. I can dress as as an Englishman, Dutchman, or Irishman. I have the genes in sufficient numbers. ;)

And may I add. College kids? Meh.

http://wgme.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/bowdoin-college-athletes-disciplined-dressing-native-americans-at-cracksgiving-party-25168.shtml

This PC nonsense has gotten completely out of hand. Remember the Boston Tea Party? Come on now!

That said, I wouldn't do it as I doubt that there were many blue eyed, blond, white-skinned Indians (Native Americans :P ) anyway.

Warhorse

(Edited to modify original my PC slip. Is that better?)

Brings to mind the years Sassparilla Kid and I were active in YMCA Indian Guides.

I cannot recall the number of times some idiot would get in my face and accuse me of disrespecting Native Americans.

I would always patiently explain the history of the organization, and how it had been created by two friends - Harold Keltner, a white businessman, and an Ojibwe hunting guide with the unlikely name of Joe Friday. The purpose was to help create strong parent-child relationships (initially father-son). As Friday pointed out to Keltner, "there are differences in raising sons between [our] two cultures. The Indian father takes responsibility in teaching his son how to hunt and fish, while the white man leaves the responsibility of teaching to the mother."

Sassparilla's kindergarten teacher was a strong supporter of the program. She was also notable on two fronts: At that time, she was one of only two active kindergarten teachers in the United States with an Ed. D. in early childhood education. And she was Ojibwe. She was quite proud of her history, with her grandmother being the first Ojibwe woman to leave the reservation and attend college.

And by the way... our family also has Ojibwe roots.

And for what it's worth, almost everyone I shared the history with was surprised and became more accepting. Almost. There was this one jackass who, in retrospect, I should've flat-out decked.

Sassparilla Kid... and I know it's Plains style, but Mrs King LOVED him in it! (actually, this was mine; his at the time was a bit smaller). And he's not about to apologize to ANYONE:

BigChief_zpsc5976592.jpg

I myself would not dress Native American, and I am part Shawnee. I guess, I was wondering if I am just insensitive as I though a big deal was being made out of nothing. While at the same time I thought why no one gets upset about a bunch of middle age whites dressing up as Native Americans at these Pow Wows. Being politically correct confuses me, so I guess I will just continue to offend everyone I meet.

This PC nonsense has gotten completely out of hand. Remember the Boston Tea Party? Come on now!

That said, I wouldn't do it as I doubt that there were many blue eyed, blond, white-skinnnned Native Americans anyway.

Warhorse

Actually, I am a blonde, blue-eyed, white skinned Native American, as I was born in this country.

You want to complain about "this PC nonsense" - they are Indians.

By the way, are Boy Scouts no longer allowed to be in the OA, because it "disrespects Native Americans"?

Order of the Arrow is alive and well, Alpo.

Our lodge (Tah-Heetch) has a very good relationship with local Native American groups...

But indians can still dress as cowboys?

But indians can still dress as cowboys?

Plenty of Navajo cowboys around here. I go to their rodeo every year.

Actually, I am a blonde, blue-eyed, white skinned Native American, as I was born in this country.

You want to complain about "this PC nonsense" - they are Indians.

My blue eyed ancestors have been on these shore since 1640, starting around Massanutten, Virginia.

I AM a native American and my friends who are from much older stock refer to themselves as Indians. (They usually pronounce it "indins".)

My blue eyed ancestors have been on these shore since 1640, starting around Massanutten, Virginia.

I AM a native American and my friends who are from much older stock refer to themselves as Indians. (They usually pronounce it "indins".)

Amen to that ...both my father and my mother's lineage date back to the 1630s as well. My many great plus grandfather was all Oliver Wolcott signer of the Declaration of Independence. There's enough generation in me to call myself a native American as well....

Amen to that ...both my father and my mother's lineage date back to the 1630s as well. My many great plus grandfather was all Oliver Wolcott signer of the Declaration of Independence. There's enough generation in me to call myself a native American as well....

Amen Brother :)

My family didn't get here until 1900 when my maternal grandfather came here from Italy. I am however, a Native American! Born in Cleveland, Ohio home of the famous Chief Wahoo!!

chief wahoo images

By the way, are Boy Scouts no longer allowed to be in the OA, because it "disrespects Native Americans"?

Order of the Arrow......... hmmmmmmmm...

The bow and arrow was used by hunters and warriors in Asia, Egypt, Middle East, South America, etc etc. So if you think about it, are the Boy Scouts disrespecting everybody by using the arrow as a symbol? If so that ought to please the pc's even more.

BTW... and almost off the topic... I'll wear whatever I dang well please, bowing only to my wife and the laws, especially those against indecent exposure.

Detractors, particularly those with a PC leaning, can KMA. I always want folks to Keep Me Advised. :lol: )

I always tried to adhere to the axiom "Don't try and be something you're not". That said, I think its entirely presentable to add some aspect of Indian culture to your wardrobe aka Mountain Men, Scouts, etc. Adds to the persona without being disrespectful.

I always tried to adhere to the axiom "Don't try and be something you're not". That said, I think its entirely presentable to add some aspect of Indian culture to your wardrobe aka Mountain Men, Scouts, etc. Adds to the persona without being disrespectful.

+1

Native American - psshaww! The term is meaningless. The "politically correct" try to assign it to the Siberian originating American Indians who arrived here 15,000 years ago. Well, I have news for you - the Solutreans from Europe arrived here 26,000 years ago. Scientists from the Smithsonian Institute, University of Delaware, and University of Exeter have identified Solutrean settlements in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Other sites in Texas and Tennessee are under review. Also, DNA evidence from 8,000 year old skeletons in Florida reveal they had high levels on European genetic markers. Now I ask you, who are the Native Americans??

As for playing dress up and being politically incorrect, I'm guilty as sin. Every time I put on my cowboy duds, I'm guilty. I'm an Ashkenazic Jew. Somehow I don't think many of my forefathers were cowboys.

Indeed.

By and large this is done WITH respect to a culture, people, ancestors, etc. whom we admire.

Most Utes and Navajo I know refer to them selves as Indians, Navajo, Ute, or native. Not one uses the term Native American and most think it's stupid. Other tribes may differ. I dunno. The only time you hear "Native American" around here is in NPR. ;)

BTW... and almost off the topic... I'll wear whatever I dang well please, bowing only to my wife and the laws, especially those against indecent exposure.

Detractors, particularly those with a PC leaning, can KMA. I always want folks to Keep Me Advised. :lol: )

100% - besides I used to be an actor - dressed in a lot of things (some I can't mention here :wacko::lol: ). Will wear what I want....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Most Utes and Navajo I know refer to them selves as Indians, Navajo, Ute, or native. Not one uses the term Native American and most think it's stupid. Other tribes may differ. I dunno. The only time you hear "Native American" around here is in NPR. ;)

I remember when my grandfather introduced me to a cowhand on his ranch...He said " This is a real Navajo Indian"....First real Indian I had ever seen - I was maybe 4-5 years old. The gentleman who shook my hand with a smile didn't have seem to jump back and say .."INDIAN?? - you called me an INDIAN???" ...the local Navajo and my grandfather had great respect for each other working all his life on projects for the Navajo and Cocopah folks in the area and land management.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I am always tickled to hear people refer to Dan George or Jay Silverheels as "Native Americans". They aren't/weren't. Both born in Canada. That makes them "First Nations". :P

Let them call themselves whatever they wish. However if they're counting on dragging me into their Wolkencuckcucksheim, they shouldn't hold their breath at the same time. Depending on how anyone behaves, results in my termonology for them. Hell, I'M a native American. "First Nations," my $&%# !

In my alter-life (other than cowboy) my life has been blessed riding motorcycles with the Navajo- Hopi Honor Riders who include 2 past Navajo Presidents, 2 Speakers, 2 Vice-presidents and several Counsel members along with the 300+ other Navajo/Hopi riders. We visit the several Gold and Blue Star families on and around both Navajo and Hopi reservations in AZ on the way to DC for Rolling Thunder.

One day I happened to turn to then president, Joe Shirley and ask, "What about this 'Native American' label? I was born in Tucson- aren't I native American?" Without missing a beat he said, "Yes, and I am Native, Indigenous American or American Indian. I prefer 'native' as do most of us." I told him and others in the group that I always feel like John Wayne when we ride through the Monument Valley.

The VP, a former Marine, started laughing and said, "Well, you are surrounded by Indians, white man!" To which, we all laughed so hard people started looking.

Then a Navajo princess about 10 years old sang the Star Stangled Banner in Navajo, which forever answered the question about the Anthem being sung in another language for me, too.

We're, most of us, as much or more Native than Elizabeth Warren who used the stolen privilege to attend Harvard and get elected to the US Senate. I wonder if she'll pay any of that back?

Archived