SASS Wire Forum

Don't dress as a Native American

Shawnee McGrutt

Wonder if Tex would let HER shoot in Wranglers?

Forcing her to put on Wranglers would not be my first choice...

Seems the Indians have other issues coming their way...a new meaning to the Big Chief holding cigars statue...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/12/native-americans-allowed-to-sell-grow-marijuana-doj-says/?intcmp=latestnews

GG ~ :FlagAm:

We had Nez Perce, blacks and all kinds of immigrant hands. I don't recall any "native americans nor my forebearers using that term. Just a bunch of Easter liberals getting their panties in a wad.

Seems the Indians have other issues coming their way...a new meaning to the Big Chief holding cigars statue...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/12/native-americans-allowed-to-sell-grow-marijuana-doj-says/?intcmp=latestnews

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Who woulda thought someone named Ellen Fills the Pipe would be opposed.

Tribal irony I calls it. :D

But XXX is with the Justice Dept? They never gave the states approval or permission. Just kept silent mostly.

My son is about to get married to an Indian. He will be dressed in indian clothes at the insistance of his future inlaws. He apparently gets to ride in on a horse. I will be dressed as an Ashkenazi (not Abenaki) Jew.

Pretty cool.

...great grandma is Creek Indian, Yahalgi clan... (read Wolf clan)

...and if the original question was to dress accordingly to part of my heritage - sure I would, it would be a head band and buck skins...

Please no one ask!!!!!! No one wants to see OKB in a Buckskin Loin Cloth.

...and that sir is the pot callin' the skillet ____.

Don't much care for PC...I dress with respect for the Indian & culture but really a big reason is I don't like hats or sleeves..the only time I have been challenged was at '011 EOT by Coyote Calhoun..said my arms should be covered'...my answer was 'tough this is how I will shoot !!

Native American - psshaww! The term is meaningless. The "politically correct" try to assign it to the Siberian originating American Indians who arrived here 15,000 years ago. Well, I have news for you - the Solutreans from Europe arrived here 26,000 years ago. Scientists from the Smithsonian Institute, University of Delaware, and University of Exeter have identified Solutrean settlements in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Other sites in Texas and Tennessee are under review. Also, DNA evidence from 8,000 year old skeletons in Florida reveal they had high levels on European genetic markers. Now I ask you, who are the Native Americans??

Very cool information. Can you link to some of that? I have read recent research indicating a genetic linkage between Native Americans and people living in China around 40,000 years ago, with their closest genetic relatives living on some of the northern Japanese islands. If I can track down the article, I will share it.

Now, it is my humble opinion that If we were striving for accuracy instead of political correctness, we would refer to the tribes present at the time of the colonization of the Americas as "aboriginal," or "Aboriginal Americans." Since "aboriginal" is defined as "inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists," it appears most accurate. Of course, the PC crowd would probably argue that doing so would create confusion between the American and Australians. It would also serve to downplay the "native" aspect which lends an emotional connotation tending to cast Europeans as interlopers.

>tending to cast Europeans as interlopers.<

That's why they do it. Just one more little thing to separate us. There's no such thing as "American". Nope. You got your Irish-Americans, your Italian-Americans, your German-Americans, your Polish-Americans, your Chinese-Americans, etc. etc. ad nauseam. But even all those hyphenated-Americans aren't REAL Americans, because they are all immigrants. It's the Indians that are the only REAL Americans. The NATIVE Americans.

Crap.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all … The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic … There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. --Theodore Roosevelt

Now, I'm proud of my ancestry, and interested in knowing my lineage. My Scots-Irish ancestors of the Ward name came to the colonies in the mid 1700's from Inishowen Peninsula, County Donegal, Ireland. I would love to know more about these and my other ancestors as well. However, I'm an American. Period.

Archived