SASS Wire Forum

Names

Alpo

Do you know many people that use their entire name?

Robert, instead of Bob? Stephen instead of Steve?

I know a Robert, but everyone else (at least men - there seem to be many girls' names without short versions) seems to use a short one - Ed, Chuck, Tom, etc.

Unless their name doesn't have a short version.

I don't like the shortenings of my name. So I go by the full name. I think it stems from my parents never saying my full name for the first 13 years of my life. So I prefer to hear my name as it appears on my licences.

Most people call me by the short version of my name, but my late wife and current fiancee both use the long form. (It's only one letter longer though.)

My wife used her long name, Roberta, because she hated the nickname her family used. In school we called her Bird, but once I learned her correct name I always called her Roberta.

I know a couple of Roberts and a Daniel.

I'm only Robert when I'm in trouble.

People I don't know well, like the grocery clerks who see my credit card call me Christine or Mrs. - - - - - -. All through school and work, I was called Chris. Hubby and friends all call me Chrissie or Allie. When Hubby calls me Chris, I know I'm in trouble.

PS My grandmother on my father's side always called me Christy. My parents named their boat Christy Kay.

I work with a Daniel, knew a Roberta that everyone called Bert, have known a Michael or two, maybe a William? My sister's name is Kristene- not, Kris, Krissy, Kristy, Tina, etc. My father and brother call her Sissy.

Oh yeah, I've known a few Anthonys (Anthonies?) too.

I know a couple of Andrews. One will actually correct you if you say Andy. One of my fraternity brothers is named David. Whenever someone would call him Dave, he would say "id." So, everyone just began calling him Id.

I do know several folks that use there long name. Jeffery, Michael, Jonathan, Joseph, James, Patrick.

But why not combining both their short name and long name? -_-

Call Robert, Bobert. Robert > Bob > Bobert.

Call William, Billiam. William > Bill > Billiam.

Call Richard, Dickard. Richard > Dick > Dickard

;):P^_^

Call Robert, Bobert. Robert > Bob > Bobert.

I knew a group of guys who all added "Bob" as a middle and use name - John Bob, Dave Bob, Mike Bob. All except for Robert. He was just "Plumb Bob."

The ones I know who insist on the full name are, for some reason, mostly "Michael"s. Five that I know insist on Michael. One Anthony I know uses the full name, unless he is working on one part we do some machining on, then he becomes "Tony Mossberg."

I was Tommy until I was 11 or 12, when I decided that Tommy was a baby's name. Decided I wanted to be called by the full name, Thomas. Sometime during high school people started calling me Tom, no matter how I introduced myself. Tom has pretty much stuck ever since, and I haven't really cared since it started in high school.

Depending on who I'm around though, I could get all three in one day. Tommy from family, Thomas from old friends, Tom from anyone I work with or newer friends.

My wife has used all three, with varying degree's of hostility.

Both my father and I are Thomas but when I was little my mom said that when she called Tom or Thomas either both or neither would answer. She then started calling me TK for my first and middle initials. I didn't answer to anything else even in school until high school. My parents would tell the teachers to call me TK, and being from a Navy family we moved about every 2 years so they would have to tell the new teachers.

Now I am mostly Tom. Only family and 45+ year friends call me TK.

My wife's name is Sandra. Don't call her Sandy.

My name is Roy. Not much you can do to shorten that. "Oy" Of course having two first names has led to me having to correct folks who can't seem to get it right on the third or fourth try.

And, I've been called a number of other things through the years. Proud to say that I have deserved some of them.

My son goes by Daniel instead of Dan or Danny.

Has ever since he was old enough to talk. When he was a little fellow, when someone called him Danny or Dan he wold correct them and say "my name is Daniel". Didn't come from his mother or I because more than once, he even corrected us. :D

Only one friend of his which is the boy who lived behind us while they were growing up can get away with calling him Danny and that is more of an inside joke than anything else.

My boy is 19 an in college now and still does by Daniel.

I guess he just likes the formal name better.

Guitar Slinger (aka Jeff who is only called Jeffrey when his mother is angry with him. I can't write the names my wife calls me when she's mad at me).

Buick is David, not Dave, not Davy, David. He won't get mad if you call him Dave, he just might not realize you are talking to him as we have quite a few friends that do go by Dave.

When I was young, my father was called Eddie, so I was called Teddy by my aunts and uncles, later by my cousins. In school I was Eddie. Later I became Ed. I avoided the Edward as too stuffy sounding.

Now when I hear Teddy or Eddie (rarely) I know who is saying it. And having a name like "Eddie Fisher" sort of stood out.

High School reunions are odd because so many more people know me than I can remember. I did something unusual and memorable then (good not bad) so I they remember me from back then.

I was named after both of my Grandfathers, Richard Earl. When I was a baby they called me little Dicky as my grandpa was Dick.....then, I out grew it......

My Brother - in - law calls me Earl, everyone else calls me Rich.

And then there are people like me. I always go by C.J., even though they aren't my initials. My wife even calls me C.J. In fact, there are only a handful of people who DON'T call me that.

The only time I use my proper name is for legal reasons. And on the cover of my book.

Was you CJ before you took an alias for cowboy, or you just like your alias more than your legal name?

Years back there was this thread about "how you know you're a cowboy shooter" and one way suggested was you used your alias more than your name. Feller said he was trying to cash his paycheck, and the gal at the bank looked at the endorsement and asked, "Who's 'Sierra Jack Cassidy'?"

I have a friend maned Charles and he will correct you if you cal him anything else. The strange thing is he will tell you it is "King Charles". I refuse to call him or anyone else "King" so just call him Charles.

I go by the formal version of my name in most cases, Kristina. I do that to not only differentiate me from other females with similar names but males as well. {There are lots of "Chris's" around.} My parents had a nick name for me when I was younger but the American kids could neither pronounce nor understand the translation so I was taunted a lot for it. Poupe'e. I think I was about 10 - 12 when I convinced them to just call me by my name.

Was you CJ before you took an alias for cowboy, or you just like your alias more than your legal name?

Years back there was this thread about "how you know you're a cowboy shooter" and one way suggested was you used your alias more than your name. Feller said he was trying to cash his paycheck, and the gal at the bank looked at the endorsement and asked, "Who's 'Sierra Jack Cassidy'?"

I was given the C.J. moniker as a young Marine at Camp Lejeune in 1979. I liked it and stuck with it.

When I joined SASS, there was already a "C.J.", so I expanded on it, and even came up with a story for it.

Full Name

I've told this story before but it's a good name story.

I was passing out bulletins at the Easter morning service when the pastor pointed out a young couple with an angel of a little girl. The pastor told me to ask the little girl her full name. I figured he wanted to know the last name of the family. When the young family came into the sanctuary, I knelt down and asked the little angel, "What's your name?" She coyly said, "Mary." I asked, "Mary, what's your full name?" She looked me in the eye and said sternly, "Mary Ann Butler Come HERE." :huh:

Full Name

I've told this story before but it's a good name story.

I was passing out bulletins at the Easter morning service when the pastor pointed out a young couple with an angel of a little girl. The pastor told me to ask the little girl her full name. I figured he wanted to know the last name of the family. When the young family came into the sanctuary, I knelt down and asked the little angel, "What's your name?" She coyly said, "Mary." I asked, "Mary, what's your full name?" She looked me in the eye and said sternly, "Mary Ann Butler Come HERE." :huh:

Priceless!!

Archived