SASS Wire Forum

Not in MY back yard...!

Some folks are a mite sensitive... :huh:

Scroll down to the video... it's interesting, but the fella who comes on at 1:58 sorta... well... :wacko:

Town Orders Police to Get Rid of MRAP

Can I have it? :)

Coming out of Davis I'm not surprised. I've known a few folks that live there, and a few that escaped. Them folks is a little out there. Sorta like a mini San Fran.

The bike-a-cycle squad don' like bein' out-vehicled... :lol:

Unfortunately, that demanding fella's been getting a lot of air time; wouldn't be surprised if his performance won't turn out to be a "seed" for future demands from left-leaning folk. And as you saw, "the squeaky wheel...." :mellow:

Personally, I don't want my neighborhood to have any mraps, APCs, armored humvees or anything above the normal squad cars.

I want the cops to NOT be able to dominate CITIZENS.

I know that there are times when cops claim to need such a vehicle, but it MUST be used carefully and ONLY to AID citizens not to dominate them.

Otherwise we will wind up in a POLICE STATE.

For those who reject the idea of a need for such equipment, perhaps you should be the ones standing on the front line when things get out of hand!!

Saw my dad come home in 1968 after the riots we had here. He was a LEO back then and was involved in containing the violent unrest!! It wasn't pretty!! :angry:

Mr Hacker, you might consider a move to Davis. I think you'd like it there... :)

But bring your bicycle! ^_^

Some folks are a mite sensitive... :huh:

Scroll down to the video... it's interesting, but the fella who comes on at 1:58 sorta... well... :wacko:

Town Orders Police to Get Rid of MRAP

Can I have it? :)

I think Santa Cruz still beats Davis for moonbattery:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oVzbwYWpg

Well... yeah... that kinda goes without saying.... :lol:

I mean heck... how many cities have a state college who's mascot is the Banana Slug...? :)

UC-SantaCruz-color.jpg

I think Santa Cruz still beats Davis for moonbattery:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oVzbwYWpg

Holy crap, I just lost about 17 IQ points.

"Food is good and stuff"

"Vegetable trees"

The East has slaves and slavery? The West is the Union? Then where did all this North and South nonsense come from?

I could go on and on, but why? Sounds like a bunch of communistic babbling.

For those who reject the idea of a need for such equipment, perhaps you should be the ones standing on the front line when things get out of hand!!

Saw my dad come home in 1968 after the riots we had here. He was a LEO back then and was involved in containing the violent unrest!! It wasn't pretty!! :angry:

Been there, done that.

I still think local cops need something like that about as much as I need mumps.

From what I saw on the local news, the vehicle in question was "armored", not "armed". I don't have a problem with giving them a safe haven when things get ugly.

However this is a line that is so thin it's damn near microscopic, and I feel both sides have valid points.

I think that a city of a half a million or more with a heavily mixed racial demographic should be prepared for violent confrontations like looting, multiple arsons, attacks on bonafide law enforcement officers, and attacks on non combatant civilians with whatever equipment and vehicles they have access to. I helped, long ago, to build our city's bomb disposal vehicle. Folks said we didn't need anything like that until we had to dispose of surplus hand grenades and a mortar shell brought home from overseas, only three weeks after the unit was completed.

As I stated before, my father was a LEO for most of his life. I saw him assaulted on two separate occasions and he had to shoot and kill a sniper in the line of duty to stop him from killing random citizens. In April of 1968 we wound up with National Guard tanks patrolling parts of the city because the local authorities were overmatched and under equipped.

I'd take to task anyone who would abuse that equipment, but to deny people the tools needed to do a tough and often thankless job out of hand is just as wrong!!!

Personally I'm going to continue to serve high risk SWAT warrants in our armored Bear Cat..... But We don't really do regular patrol in them while trying to create our police state in my home own.

Homeland Security provided fun ding for 2,700 Bearcats. Those are what you saw in Ferguson and are a great tool for high risk warrants. The MRAPs should be pulled from law enforcement. Most PDs do not have trained drivers and are incapable of providing the proper maintenance.

An MRAP is just a big fuel guzzling truck. Not a tank. The only way you could supress the populace is to park on them.

I couldn`t care less if our sheriff gets one. But I doubt he will. He prefers horses.

An MRAP is just a big fuel guzzling truck. Not a tank. The only way you could supress the populace is to park on them.

I couldn`t care less if our sheriff gets one. But I doubt he will. He prefers horses.

He will get far more use from the horses. When I was chief, we almost got an M998 to use as a DARE/school resource officer vehicle. I figured the upkeep and parts replacement. That went down the tubes real quick. A department in North AL got one set up using local donations. They could have bought a new Tahoe police package for the same price.

I like yer Sheriff, Bob! :)

Well... I'm surprised nobody picked up on the crux of the post... which wasn't whether or not the department should keep the MRAP, but the fella's "demand." :mellow:

People, and now the msm are fired up.

But they're fired up over the wrong thing? It's the ATTITUDE of your local police, not the hardware. Hardware can't do anything on it's own.

Saying a department is militarized and oppressing the people because it has an MRAP is a lot like saying I'm a danger to the community because I own guns.

It's the mindset that's dangerous, not the equipment.

Except flamethrowers. Those are dangerous ;)

Speaking of the MSM riling things up, I was watching a well coiffed anchor talking about the "dangerous" military equipment the police are getting "to include Humvees, M16 rifles, and tear gas grenade launchers", she breathlessly stated. As she talked they flashed pictures of the items. A hummer, a rifle, and. ...an M72.

Yup an M72 LAW. I guess it looked like a tear gas grenade launcher to them. Or maybe the LAW term confused them.

Wouldn't take more than one round to break up a riot I reckon. :rolleyes:

Ya know, back in World War Twice the reporters could tell a P51 from a Messerschmitt, a Hellcat from a Zero, and a Tiger from a Sherman. Now..... Oy.

The key is sensationalize,UB. To heck with research to get everthing correct. If Isis ever manages to sneak into this country, our law enforcement is going to need some pretty heavy duty equipment to deal with that kind of threat..... :blush:

Somehow, I have visions of Coffeyville, KS if ISIS/IS tried a large scale action

+ 1

I think that a city of a half a million or more with a heavily mixed racial demographic should be prepared for violent confrontations like looting, multiple arsons, attacks on bonafide law enforcement officers, and attacks on non combatant civilians with whatever equipment and vehicles they have access to. I helped, long ago, to build our city's bomb disposal vehicle. Folks said we didn't need anything like that until we had to dispose of surplus hand grenades and a mortar shell brought home from overseas, only three weeks after the unit was completed.

As I stated before, my father was a LEO for most of his life. I saw him assaulted on two separate occasions and he had to shoot and kill a sniper in the line of duty to stop him from killing random citizens. In April of 1968 we wound up with National Guard tanks patrolling parts of the city because the local authorities were overmatched and under equipped.

I'd take to task anyone who would abuse that equipment, but to deny people the tools needed to do a tough and often thankless job out of hand is just as wrong!!!

Blackwater. Do you mean you would be willing to deprive these folks of their right to protest by stealing TVs and tennis shoes? Racist!!

But they're fired up over the wrong thing? It's the ATTITUDE of your local police, not the hardware. Hardware can't do anything on it's own.

Saying a department is militarized and oppressing the people because it has an MRAP is a lot like saying I'm a danger to the community because I own guns.

Speaking of the MSM riling things up, I was watching a well coiffed anchor talking about the "dangerous" military equipment the police are getting "to include Humvees, M16 rifles, and tear gas grenade launchers", she breathlessly stated. As she talked they flashed pictures of the items. A hummer, a rifle, and. ...an M72.

Yup an M72 LAW. I guess it looked like a tear gas grenade launcher to them. Or maybe the LAW term confused them.

Ya know, back in World War Twice the reporters could tell a P51 from a Messerschmitt, a Hellcat from a Zero, and a Tiger from a Sherman. Now..... Oy.

But the hardware can influence the mindset to some extent. Not to mention that you give the big boys in town lots of fancy golly-wog toys like that and eventually they will look for some way to play with them.

Mr Hacker, you might consider a move to Davis. I think you'd like it there... :)

But bring your bicycle! ^_^

No thanks Curmudgeon, I am happy more or less here. We don't yet have MRAPs.

And I don't see any need for them. They only serve to escalate tensions and serve not to calm things down.

Calming tensions is what is required not any form of escalation. UNLESS you want to live in POLICE STATE where TOTALITARIAN actions are expected and viewed as good by all submissive people.

This is supposed to be a free country with liberties. We SHOULD NOT AND MUST NOT BE FORCED TO FEAR the COPS!

Problem with that idea UB is that the Hardware acquired reflects the mindset and attitude of the cops.

There in lies my problem with cops acquiring military type equipment.

As for whether cops will be fighting ISIS. They may for a while but I would EXPECT the US ARMY/USMC/USAF to become involved.

Cops also known as law enforcement officers are deployed to enforce local laws (and other things) and are not expected to be combat soldiers.

The key is sensationalize,UB. To heck with research to get everthing correct. If Isis ever manages to sneak into this country, our law enforcement is going to need some pretty heavy duty equipment to deal with that kind of threat..... :blush:

Don't ya think that the US Army, USMC and USAF would somehow find a way to become involved. After all that situation would be more like an invasion than a police action. And all forces necessary SHOULD and hopefully WOULD be mobilized to deal with it.

Don't ya think that the US Army, USMC and USAF would somehow find a way to become involved. After all that situation would be more like an invasion than a police action. And all forces necessary SHOULD and hopefully WOULD be mobilized to deal with it.

If an ISIS cell were to conduct an attack in the heartland, the military wouldget there far to late to do any good. Note the damage done by one Muslim extremist at Ft Hood, one of the largest military posts in the country. Our military is simply not prepared to deal with domestic attacks. And any attack would be done by a cell, probably of less than 20 individuals. No massive attacks like in Iraq. The only initial response would be local law enforcement.

Immediately after 9/11 local law enforcement agencies went through an orientation and training program put on by the Feds. It was an eye opener. Basic gist was that we were pretty much on our own.

Some people have delusions about the importance of their words. :o:ph34r:

Thank you, Allie. :)

I'd hoped somebody would catch that! ^_^

Stories of the Ferguson unrest from the LEOs perspective are starting to emerge. The local Fox affiliate aired one last night. From what the LEO described, they most certainly needed some kind of protection or a place where they could get out of harms way. I can't tell the difference between a MRAP and a Sherman so I don't understand the differences between the vehicles. Please educate me.

Stories of the Ferguson unrest from the LEOs perspective are starting to emerge. The local Fox affiliate aired one last night. From what the LEO described, they most certainly needed some kind of protection or a place where they could get out of harms way. I can't tell the difference between a MRAP and a Sherman so I don't understand the differences between the vehicles. Please educate me.

The Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle is a large truck used to transport troops safely. It has special armor to protect it from both mines and gunfire. It does not have a cannon or machine guns and is used to keep the passengers from being killed. A Sherman is a tank with treads and a very big gun.

http://defense-update.com/images_new/MRAP_Cat_1_navistar.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/TankshermanM4.jpg

The military is precluded from action in the U.S., although they have been utilized in a support capacity, on occasion. Governors have the option of calling out the Guard, but that's not the same thing.

The military is precluded from action in the U.S., although they have been utilized in a support capacity, on occasion. Governors have the option of calling out the Guard, but that's not the same thing.

Well, that's not completely accurate. There are exceptions that allow the president to deploy troops within the US. A terrorist attack would certainly be one of those.

Where did you get that info from--

Military(not National Guard)have be deployed many times when POTUS deemed it so.

LG

Archived