SASS Wire Forum

Any pre 1899 single actions NOT allowed in CAS?

Two Spurs

The interesting thread about Nagant ammo usage got me to wondering. Are there any pre-1899 single action pistols NOT allowed in our game? (or rifles for that matter)

The 1899 Savage as a side match rifle comes to mind - no external hammer. But, then again, the Evans rifle has an internal hammer too, so...

The 1899 Savage as a side match rifle comes to mind - no external hammer. But, then again, the Evans rifle has an internal hammer too, so...

I'm a thinkin he was only concerned with single action revolvers. ;)

But he does say pistols, so I'll offer that the Borchardt is not legal for SASS.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-automatic-pistols/borchardt-automatic-pistol/

(or rifles for that matter)

We commonly refer to revolvers as pistols in this game, but I don't believe there are any pistols permissible, other than the 1911 in Wild Bunch and two shot derringers in side matches...?

I was also assuming he meant LEVER ACTION rifles made 1899 or before.

We commonly refer to revolvers as pistols in this game, but I don't believe there are any pistols permissible, other than the 1911 in Wild Bunch and two shot derringers in side matches...?

I was also assuming he meant LEVER ACTION rifles made 1899 or before.

AH! I totally missed his parenthetical addition. And my response was tongue in cheek, just to carry the conversation forward.

The Winchester 1895 comes to mind. Also I know at one point there was a discussion of a Sharps rifle the did not have a hammer, but I don't remember the model.

Well I'll be dawged. I learned something new today!

(edit) I found some detailed pics in a thread at Cas City.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=25070.0

Revolvers that have only 5 chambers are something of a gray area. Some have said to me you can load 4 and add the 5th on the clock, load 5 as long as there is a safety notch to lower the hammer on between cylinders, and that you can't use them at all.

Actually, that'd be one that some official clarification would be nice on.

Of course if said revolvers are clearly pocket pistols, the Handbook says that they are NOT main match revolvers.

See below. Ain't nothing in there about five shot, four shot, seven shot or eleventeen shot for that matter. The rules covered in other areas that require hammer down on an empty chamber also allow for between cylinders or in a safety notch. Note that THAT rule is not that specific. If you got a five shot SINGLE action either load four or put it between chambers if THAT revolver is safe to do so. Nagant revolvers, seven shot single action models ARE legal. BTW, it's a simple matter to take out that DA sear and now they're SA. ALso note that there ain't nothing in there about POCKET revolvers. If you have one of those, and its single action and meets the caliber criteria....hmmm.

SHB Page 10

REVOLVER REQUIREMENTS

Original single action revolvers manufactured prior to 1899, their approved replicas, and the

SASS approved single action adjustable sight revolvers are the only revolvers approved for use

in SASS main match competition. The rules relative to SASS approved revolvers depend upon

the competition category in which one participates. Sights are a major factor for determining in

which category a revolver may be used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of

revolver and ammunition be used. Please see the shooting categories for further information.

No more than two main match revolvers may be carried to the firing line.

REVOLVER CALIBERS

• Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion

calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited

to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.

• Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category

only.

• Although the .32 caliber revolvers and .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers are legal, they may

not be powerful enough to handle all reactive targets.

See below. Ain't nothing in there about five shot, four shot, seven shot or eleventeen shot for that matter. The rules covered in other areas that require hammer down on an empty chamber also allow for between cylinders or in a safety notch. Note that THAT rule is not that specific. If you got a five shot SINGLE action either load four or put it between chambers if THAT revolver is safe to do so. Nagant revolvers, seven shot single action models ARE legal. BTW, it's a simple matter to take out that DA sear and now they're SA. ALso note that there ain't nothing in there about POCKET revolvers. If you have one of those, and its single action and meets the caliber criteria....hmmm.
SHB Page 10
REVOLVER REQUIREMENTS
Original single action revolvers manufactured prior to 1899, their approved replicas, and the
SASS approved single action adjustable sight revolvers are the only revolvers approved for use
in SASS main match competition. The rules relative to SASS approved revolvers depend upon
the competition category in which one participates. Sights are a major factor for determining in
which category a revolver may be used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of
revolver and ammunition be used. Please see the shooting categories for further information.
REVOLVER CALIBERS
• Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion
• Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited
to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44-40, and .45 Colt.
• Standard velocity .22 caliber rimfire ammunition is allowed within the Buckaroo Category
only.
• Although the .32 caliber revolvers and .36 caliber cap and ball revolvers are legal, they may

SHB pg. 17

POCKET PISTOLS AND DERRINGERS
Pocket pistols and Derringers are popular for use in side matches and are occasionally introduced
as an additional firearm in main match stages.
• A pocket pistol is a small frame, fixed sight, pre-1900 design revolver having a barrel length
of four inches or less. Pocket pistols must be .31 caliber or larger. Model “P” Colts and
clones and revolvers with swing out cylinders are specifically not allowed regardless of
caliber, frame size, or barrel length. Pocket pistols may not be used as or converted to main
match revolvers.

SHB Page 10
REVOLVER REQUIREMENTS
REVOLVER CALIBERS
only.

Under this How is the cowboy 45 legal?

Under this How is the cowboy 45 legal?

How is it NOT?

Note that the rule says "caliber"...not "cartridge"....and the list of examples is not exclusive.

REVOLVER CYLINDERS
• Centerfire and rimfire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six chambers.

SHB p.9

So the Welch Navy would be illegal?

Not to cause trouble what is the thinking of the no less than five and no more than six chambers.rule?

Ah, Lone Dog, the last time I looked a LeMat was a muzzle loading percussion item. Page 9 says nothing about muzzle loaders. Just center fire and rim fire.

Coffinmaker

How is it NOT?

Note that the rule says "caliber"...not "cartridge"....and the list of examples is not exclusive.

Thank You

Doesn't the Nagant have 7 chambers in its cylinder?

as previously noted & quoted...the SA version of the NAGANT is a specifically allowed exception to the rule.

...and to reiterate...the 5/6 rule applies to CENTER and RIM fire revolvers...

NOT PERCUSSION models (e.g. the 9+1-shot LeMat & the 12-shot WALCH revolvers)

Archived