SASS Wire Forum

Coyote Hunting

Bama Red

Had a run in with a small pack o' them yellow curs whilst walking our dogs the other night. Got off a few shots with my 1911, but no hits. <_</> In my defense, I was holding a leash in one hand, my cane in the other, flashlight in my third hand and the pistola in my fourth. Now ya see why I got no hits!!! :lol:/>

If I was to go huntin' them on purpose, what would I need (got a good 'yote rifle) in terms of lights, etc., to get the job done. Our property is knee high grasses outside the yard area, fenced and cross fenced, with a small pond in the short grass area and another, much smaller pond in the long grass. All my encounters, so far have been at less than 75 yards. When hunting , I won't be encumbered by the dogs!

A good 12 gauge with 0000 Buck works well in the close stuff. A good .223 for farther out (dare I say a black rifle?). IMVHO. Lots of other choices. I sometimes use my .270 but then again I don't save pelts.

A Daisy Red Ryder with a saddle ring and leather thong, loaded with copper clad BBs.

It won't kill 'em, but it will sure pi$$ em off some.

Now if you want terminal results, I agree with Michigan, a good 12 gauge with some heavy lead shot.

I don't trust that steel shot thingy tho.

Mut be those urban gang banger coyotes. The ones around here pretty much stay out at rifle range.

You average wiley canus latans is pretty hard to take out with a pistol.

Something in the 223 arena would do if you have one. Or 12ga at close range.

Red, aside from trying to be a smart A$$, I do not know what situation your property is in and how far away your neighbors might be.

That said, and safety first, I suggested the 12 gauge because of it's limited range vs a centerfire.

Some folks will use a .22 Mag to do the job and I have even heard of folks using a .22 LR but under

short range circumstances. I think I would prefer a 12 gauge to that.

If long range is ok in your area, I would opt for a .30 cal but would perhaps go down to a .223. A

.243 might be the best medicine if you have one. A scope would be a good investment however.

JMHO

Depends on how you plan on hunting them two popular ways around here are using calls or driving around with a good pair of binoculars. Both have good results of you know the trails the rats frequent.

Depends on how you plan on hunting them two popular ways around here are using calls or driving around with a good pair of binoculars. Both have good results of you know the trails the rats frequent.

I agree wif Da Great Evil One (WHAT AM I SAYING !) Ifin der's a food base....din a yote will find it. And a call wood not hurt none two !

Years ago I used to hunt coyotes in Az. I used to frequent a gunshop and one of the old timers that would hang around asked me if I had kids and I said I did. He said do you have any little babies and I said that I did. He told me to get a cassette recorder and record it crying an squalling and then take that out to where I coyote hunt and play it back. That was the best coyote call I've ever seen. Those coyotes practically ran over the recorder. I put a hurt on em after that.

If you're under a hundred yards, a good .22 magnum works fine. I use a Winchester 9422M with a 4x Leupold scope and it does the trick. I also use a .243 with a Leupold 3x-9x variable which, as Badger says, works great.

Guy on another forum I used to hang out on had a farm in KS I think it was that was overrun. Seem to think I remember him using at 17 hmr or something, but I could be wrong. The ones he shot were so nasty that they weren't good for pelts and the way he told it, ya really didn't even want to get close enough to the carcass to touch it. Just let the buzzards clean up.

...first of all, we use a hurt rabbit call

...its early in the morning or 45 minutes before dusk

...I use a Ruger M77 Mark II heavy fluted barrel 22-250 with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 scope on it...

...I use Hornady 22-250 Rem 55 gr V-MAX rounds - flat at 200 yds (0.9" high at 100 yds) - runs about 3680 at the chrono and 3250 or so at 100 yds....

...just mho...

I'll be using one of them evil black rifles in 5.56. Figger that oughta do the job if'n I put the pill in the right place.

Think I'll sit on my second story deck that overlooks the back yard and both watering holes. It's no more than fifty yards to either pond, the elevation will give me better sight lines, safe backdrops in both directions and I'll be able to light 'em up real good from there. Is there a special time of evening that's better than others?

BMC

Youtes , loke any opertunist , will feed any time there is a chance .

They , nornaly move with the movement of prey , meening dawn and dusk ,

I have uase 22 mag , 22 Hornet , 223 , If I see one and I can get a SAFE shot , I will use WHATEVER is at hand :lol:

Just like feral PIGS , ya gotta whack em , if ya get the chance

CB

We may have them also, but I have not seen one. There was a cougar in the city limits of Seattle a few years ago. It was stalking joggers in the park down by Ft, Lawton. But I don't have a teen age son. I don't even have a son except for a Grand son.

I usualy just count coup on 'em.

They hate it.

There are too many houses close to me so I can't shoot them. Maybe I could thwak them with my walking stick?

Make a snare then. Just check it before daylight so you can hide the neighbors cats that you catch..... :lol: I hunt a place that seems to be the dumping ground for every stray kitty in the county. The yotes eat some, I whack some... People would quit dumping them if they knew their life expectancy during hunting seasons!

Hi Bama,

Here in the forested CA foothills, I would never walk my dog at night. If he had to "go," it would be in the fenced yard.

Two nights ago, Hubby came into the room I was in and told me, "if I heard shots, it would be him shooting at coyotes." Seems they were having a party in our front "yard" (dirt patch).

He said they took off when he opened the door. I worry so about our "touch me not" feral cat. Luckily, he showed up the next morning.

I only walk my dog during daylight. Once I walked him just before dusk, got bonked by a tree limb, and lost my glasses. I've told the rest of that story before. :blush::blush::blush:

Just saying...

Regards,

Allie Mo

I'll be using one of them evil black rifles in 5.56. Figger that oughta do the job if'n I put the pill in the right place.

Think I'll sit on my second story deck that overlooks the back yard and both watering holes. It's no more than fifty yards to either pond, the elevation will give me better sight lines, safe backdrops in both directions and I'll be able to light 'em up real good from there. Is there a special time of evening that's better than others?

Bama,

we've had better success in early morning--right at sunup... and startin' about 45 minutes or so before sundown... but the real key has been using an old boom box that has wounded rabbit (got the tape or cd from cabelas I think) long playing tape and set it out a ways in a clear shooting direction, turn it on, and be patient for about 10 to 15 minutes... then they just run up right close... I prefer 50 to 75 yards or else I end up looking down the rifle barrel rather than the scope... <_<

I like my .243 for that.

But heck you could use your cowboy lever rifle in .357 also.

I am not one to use a .22. I don't like them coyotes. But I don't want

to see them just hurt and run off.

If you are going to kill them. Then kill um and be done with it.

Me? I would get a good rabbit call. Put in on one side of that pond.

And I would set up on the other.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Hey Bammer...

'Bout 4 1/2 years ago... a coyoat tried to steal one of my dogs... a small beagle. Aftr hearin' a commotion... I came outta the house with Heckle and Jeckle... .45's blastin' away. Out of sixteen shots... I thought I missed ALL of 'em. Dam coy-crazy-canine dropped my pup... and got away. Few days later... saw some buzzards circlin' the backside of my property... and went to check it out. Found the momma coyote... and most of a dead litter. Momma had been gut shot... and had runned 'bout 600 yds. off. Them dogs are some kinda tough to kill with a handgun.

Unless you can head-shoot it... use somethin' that will deliver... hydrostatic shock.

ts

Archived