SASS Wire Forum

Prevent Cap Fragments from Falling into Action

Quite a while back there was an article in the Chronicle detailing how to make the Open Top Colts a bit more reliable. This article also included, if I remember correctly, information on how to make a “shield” to prevent the cap fragments from falling into the action. Something like a Manhattan Conversion.

Does anybody know what month/year that article was in the Chronicle?

Also it seems that someone had put it on the internet. Does anybody have that link handy?

Thanks Pards!!

I did a brief search on Google and here on the SASS Wire but couldn't find the article that I'm looking for...

It's over at 'The Open Range' forum.

Pard, I searched over there thinkin' I had surely seen it there at one point. It didn't come come up when I searched "cap shield" or "shields". If you know where it is and could provide a link I'd be much obliged.

Hey Jed I.

If I remember correctly Hellgate wrote that article.

PM him & see if he'll send you an electronic copy.

--Dawg

J.I.K. Get a hold of Rowdy Yates!! I contacted him several years ago and he sent my gunsmith complete instructions and pictures to do the trick. It's fabulous!! I wore out two sets of '60s with no cap problems.

I may send a set to him to modify and slick up when my rich uncle gets out of the poor house!! :lol::lol:

1339641363[/url]' post='2449151']

Pard, I searched over there thinkin' I had surely seen it there at one point. It didn't come come up when I searched "cap shield" or "shields". If you know where it is and could provide a link I'd be much obliged.

Look under the Firearms, Leather and Gunsmithing section.

Hey Jed I.

If I remember correctly Hellgate wrote that article.

PM him & see if he'll send you an electronic copy.

--Dawg

Hellgate, huh? Okay, for some reason I had it in my head that Tuolumne Lawman wrote it.

I’ll try Hellgate.

Quite a while back there was an article in the Chronicle detailing how to make the Open Top Colts a bit more reliable. This article also included, if I remember correctly, information on how to make a “shield” to prevent the cap fragments from falling into the action. Something like a Manhattan Conversion.

Does anybody know what month/year that article was in the Chronicle?

Also it seems that someone had put it on the internet. Does anybody have that link handy?

Thanks Pards!!

I did a brief search on Google and here on the SASS Wire but couldn't find the article that I'm looking for...

Hey pard,

Don't worry about all that. Just flick your wrist when you cock the pistol. Just DON'T let the cap get between your hand and the grip frame. Don't ask me how I know this. Don't ask me about match DQ's either. Don't ask J. Mark Flint if he got it on video either, because it was my camera and he didn't. Lastly, don't ask me how fun it is to pick brass while you are a "spectator" for the last 2 stages of your state match.

Boondock

I've had the "Manhattan" mod on several Colt Clones, and it does work. I now have a new set of Clones, and have not put the mod on them... but, I did switch to the new SliX nipples, and must say that I have not had the problem with caps falling off and locking things up.... not to mention that they have yet to give me a misfire. It's certainly a cheaper way to go.

Snakebite

search for an article by SASS #11601 "Utah" the name of the .pdf is "Making A Colt Cap & Ball Revolver Work" .

He out lines (with nice photos too) how to modify the hammer slot behind the cylinder to keep the cap from following the hammer back and falling into the "works" of the revolver.

Just get yourself a set of Walkers. DO NOT lighten the main spring.

Then it won't matter if the caps fall into the action. The main springs are SO STOUT they will absolutely CRUSH the caps into the frame. How do I know? I was cleaning mine, I pried 5 caps out of the frame, and pulled two out of the innards. Had NO problems with the guns shooting.

And yes, Rowdy does a great job fixin up C+B pistols.

Thanks y'all!!

I though about going with the SliX nipples, and they may be in my future, but right now I have Treso nipples on 10 cylinders. I'm not wanting to replace all of 'em right now.

Chantry, I believe those are the articles I was thinking of. Thanks, again.

I'm thinking about a pair of C&B Colts. Is there a difference between the Slix and Treso nipples?

Yes Sir, Slix Shot for me. Been using them for 14 stages and every stage is clean so far. No jams, I have had a cap or two between hand and grip, though. I use Pietta '62 from Cabelas .36 caliber.

Blue Wolf

Our very own Fingers McGee has done some research... He has two posts on this forum thread.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=3219.0

I have had good luck with Treso nipples on my 1851 Navies and 1860 Army Colts. Prolly gonna stick with 'em.

Thanks, J-Bar. That info helps alot.

Ain't broke out the mesurer as of yet, but it sure seems that the Cabela Stainless Steel nips are about the same as these Slix. Guessin' I'ma gonna hav'ta do some personal investigatin' pert soon.

Our very own Fingers McGee has done some research... He has two posts on this forum thread.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=3219.0

I have had good luck with Treso nipples on my 1851 Navies and 1860 Army Colts. Prolly gonna stick with 'em.

I picked Fingers' brain about C&B at Land Run and Prince of the Pistoleers. Wish I could download all that data! :lol:

I picked Fingers' brain about C&B at Land Run and Prince of the Pistoleers. Wish I could download all that data! :lol:

Yep!

Even Fingers wishes he could remember all he knows!! :lol:

The word is: The Slix nipples are great but not great enough to throw away your stainless or TRESO nipples until they are worn out. Then maybe change.

I have TRESOS that will last for another year or so.

I'm thinking about a pair of C&B Colts. Is there a difference between the Slix and Treso nipples?

Look here:

http://www.sopdigita...ychronicle/#/8/

and here:

http://www.sopdigitaledition.com/thecowboychronicle/#/34/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yep!

Even Fingers wishes he could remember all he knows!! :lol:

Hey.................. that was supposed to be a secret :unsure:

Fingers (ShowMe MO smoke) McGee

For a new set of Piettas, I would buy a set of Slix-Shots over Tresos. They worked great on a pair of 1860 Armies from the 90s. For a new set of Ubertis I'd buy one set of Slix-Shot and try them to make sure they'd work. On a some of my Ubertis, they're a little long and cause the caps to drag the recoil shield after a couple cylinders full. On a couple others, they seem to be ok; but I haven't thrashed them out or shot a match with them yet.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

For a new set of Piettas, I would buy a set of Slix-Shots over Tresos. They worked great on a pair of 1860 Armies from the 90s. For a new set of Ubertis I'd buy one set of Slix-Shot and try them to make sure they'd work. On a some of my Ubertis, they're a little long and cause the caps to drag the recoil shield after a couple cylinders full. On a couple others, they seem to be ok; but I haven't thrashed them out or shot a match with them yet.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Thx Fingers, really appreciate the expertise you've shared with me. I'm leaning toward a pair of Uberti Navies. Probably will go with the Tresos since they're tried and true. I don't feel like experimenting as a rookie...

Archived