SASS Wire Forum

S&W M&P pistol

Red River Ray SASS#33254

I have a S&W M&P 40c (the compact) which I use as my CCW. I've put quite a few rounds through it (like 3000 or so) without any hitches, and I've gotten pretty proficient with it. I can typically shoot 2" groups at 15 yards. I have also played around with shooting a 1/2 size IPSC target (8.87 x 14.75) at 50 yards with it (remember, the compact has a 3.5" barrel). I can normally hit it 8 or 9 times out of 10.

When choosing the M&P, I had to make some compromises. I am a died-in-the-wool .45 acp guy, but didn't want the weight of a 1911 for CCW. I decided on .40 as a compromise between the .45 acp and smaller calibers. Next, I wanted a small, easy to conceal weapon. That drove me to the compact versions. I finally narrowed it down to the S&W and the Glock 27. I had the opportunity to rent both guns at a range and split a box of ammo through them. I would have probably bought the Glock, but my shot groups were much tighter with the M&P, so that's how I made my decision.

Hope this helps some. PM me if you have any other questions.

Chick

I have the M&P 9c and like it a lot. I got it with the Crimson Trace laser on it but never use it because I shoot so well without it. It's easy to break down , clean and put back together too.

The law enforcement agency that I worked for issues the M&P to all of our agents. We put alot of ammo through them and the only problems were caused by the shooter and not the gun. Funny thing we were given the opportunity to shoot then chose which gun we carried, 95 % chose the full size 45 M&P over the compact 45 or full size or compact 40.

I have complete confidence in the M&P.

Marshalfire

While I do not own a M&P 40 I know they in the past have had some trigger problems but seem to have those taken care of.

I do however follow Glock closely,Today's Glock's are not without their own problems,they are not the same gun that got them the reliability reputation.

Their new Gen 4 in 9mm are on their 4th.revised recoil spring assembly and now a replacement of the ejector and extractor but only if their owners complain and send the gun back to Glock.

The Gen 4 40's are on their third RSA and just as of lately a revised ejector.

I know I will not bother buying a 40.357 Sig fourth Gen magazine,not even a Gen3 with a #1 stamped on the tube body. Some folks say that they have fixed the feed problems caused by the #1 and #2 mag. tube moldings but I wont risk it.

The late Gen 3's seem to suffer with some of the same problems and Glock seems to be more willing to support their Gen 4 guns.

Fact is they have been replacing bad or problematic Gen3's with Gen4's.

Yes even Glock doesn't have a lock on Perfection. Adios Sgt. Jake

I have one in 357 SIG with a spare 40S&W bbl, night sights, and extra mags. It is one of my preferred carry guns as it is reliable, accurate, and handles extremely well. I looked at all the plastic guns carefully and the M&P was my choice. I still feel it was an EXCELLENT choice too.

M&P's are ok. They are fairly popular in IDPA.

If you are one of those people that love to smith your own guns there are some aftermarket parts out there that will allow you to do a trigger job on them, but not too much else.

Not to drift this thread off topic but there are far more aftermarket parts available for the Glock if you are so inclined...

I have a the Compact M&P in 45ACP and it has been a fantastic gun. I have tried and still use most of the available APEX Tactical parts to improve various aspects of trigger, reset, etc. Good parts for sure but there is really nothing wrong with the OEM components especially after a few hundred rounds of break in. I have never had a single functionality issue with the gun.

I compared the Glock 27 to the M&P9c side by side prior to deciding to go down the 45ACP path and there was little comparison for me.....M&P worked and felt far better in my hands.

I have used my compact M&P45 in a local big bore target league for grins and shot in the high 490's without any trouble.

I use it primarily for concealed carry and functions very nicely for me in that capacity.

It is a great gun as far as black guns go. ;)

If you have one what do ye think of it

Howdy

I have a whole bunch of them and I like them just fine. But somehow I think this is not what you are talking about.

M&P

M&P

M&P

M&P

M&P

Howdy

I have a whole bunch of them and I like them just fine. But somehow I think this is not what you are talking about.

M&P

M&P

M&P

M&P

M&P

Cool. Fellas I bought one yesterday a full size M&P 9mm with thumb safety. Tha trigger is purdy heavy but I also figger that will be fixed. I don't care about Glocks, Too dam ugly ta own. Havent been able to shoot it yet, came down with a stomach virus after buying it an have been hanging aroun tha bathroom ever since. Sgt Jake I emptied my mail sorry.

RRR

The M&P .45 with a safety was designed to compete for the next round of US military sidearm competitions, but this never happened. Negative feedback about the Beretta M9 was covered over with budget challenges when the US Army ordered another 75,000 M9s in 2009.

This model seems to be the best of the lot and will shoot lead bullets, something that a Glock will not do (unless you put in an aftermarket barrel).

Cool. Fellas I bought one yesterday a full size M&P 9mm with thumb safety. Tha trigger is purdy heavy but I also figger that will be fixed. I don't care about Glocks, Too dam ugly ta own. Havent been able to shoot it yet, came down with a stomach virus after buying it an have been hanging aroun tha bathroom ever since. Sgt Jake I emptied my mail sorry.

RRR

I still couldn't get it to send so Ill post it here/

Ray Hello Last time I was in Jimmy Spurs shop he was working on some M&P's for IDPA use,about a dozen of them.

He said have you ever felt a stock M&P ,I said yes,he said then here try one of these. This is just me but if I was to pick up one I would have Jimmy tune it,I don't care how long I had to wait for him to do it,. They were that good. Take Care Sgt. Jake

I still couldn't get it to send so Ill post it here/

Ray Hello Last time I was in Jimmy Spurs shop he was working on some M&P's for IDPA use,about a dozen of them.

He said have you ever felt a stock M&P ,I said yes,he said then here try one of these. This is just me but if I was to pick up one I would have Jimmy tune it,I don't care how long I had to wait for him to do it,. They were that good. Take Care Sgt. Jake

Thanks buddy I'll be seein him alot at winter range.

RRR

Ask Hondo Jackson the next time you see him. I don't own one but I borrowed a 9mm M&P midsize gun for a CWP class. The owner had someone perform a trigger job on it. I liked the M&P better than the Glocks and the XDs I had tried before. Being able to shoot lead bullets is a plus for me.

Cool. Fellas I bought one yesterday a full size M&P 9mm with thumb safety.

What thumb safety? None of my M&Ps have that.

Sorry, could not resist. :)

RRR;

I have had my 40 caliber S&W M&P since it was introduced.

Full size grip - I love it

I shot it at PFT, 2 days and one evening for 1,500 rounds - three years in a row - plus all my other shooting - About 7,000 rounds through it now - never had a failure.

Jimmy Spurs is supposed to have a pair of Ruger Bisleys for me by March to celebrate my elbow surgery recovery.

I went through a S&W M&P armorer's course last year and upon successful completion of the course, students could buy select M&P pistols direct from S&W for $199, shipping included. I wanted a .357, but apparently S&W dropped the .357 SIG chambering for the civilian market last year, so I went with a full size .40, then bought 9mm and .357 SIG barrels from Midway. All I've shot so far is the .357 barrel, but it's been great so far.

I own both.

I'm thought of as a Glockhead: buying my first Glock 17 in 1986 or 7.

If I had to do it all over again now -- I'd buy M&P. I see the two platforms as being roughly equal, but I HATE the finger serrations on the Gen 3 and 4 Glocks.

ps: Even though I have large hammies, and the large grip feels the best, I shoot the best with the small grip. Go figger.

I really like the M&P. I had both the full size and compact. I ended up selling them because I standardized on the Glock platform for IDPA and Zombie attacks.

Howdy

M&P

M&P

M&P

M&P

M&P

That was my initial thought.

But I am a geezer. :lol:

My favorite is the Pro M&P with the 5 inch slide. It has the fiber optic front sight and supposedly a 4.5-5.5 pound trigger. Mine was about 6 pounds. I did some work on the sear and striker block, then put in an Apex competition spring kit and that made the trigger pull a very smooth 3 pounds.

My son carries a M&P 9 as a duty gun with an Apex Tactical Duty Carry sear and spring set up. He can fire the 9mm more accurately and has a quicker recovery than with his Glock 22. The factory trigger is a little gritty and has a long re-set. The Apex set up cures both problems. The M&P is dead on accurate and reliable. I carry one as a backup and for tactical training.

What thumb safety? None of my M&Ps have that.

Sorry, could not resist. :)

I know that the full size .45 HAVE a thumbsafety. I really wish they put one on the 9mm. After the years I have spent with a 1911 in my hand, I think that all pistols should have a thumbsafety if it's going to fit me.

I know that the full size .45 HAVE a thumbsafety. I really wish they put one on the 9mm.

I think all models are available with or without a manual safety. MFG# 206301 is a full size M&P 9mm with a thumb safety. It's also available on the compact.

Great pistols...among the very bestI have a 45 M&P with a suppressor and it's my favorite pistolExcellent sights and accuracy and beats a Glock hands downIMO,except for price even an HK isn't substantially better than the M&PGet the Tactical version that comes with two barrels,one threaded for a suppressor And no external safeties or anything that could 'get in the way'You won't regret buying an M&POh..and as far as no external safety, so what? It was designed that way,does haveA trigger safety and the Tac model will fire without a mag Just like a 1911 cocked and locked except DA only

Archived