SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman Catagory

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

Just got my hands on a H&R 45LC Carbine. I was wondering what you're thoughts where on using this rifle in the plainsman catagory?

Our am I going to be given a hard time for shooting this like I get for shooting the ROA. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let me know what you shoot.

Deacon Stone

I was wondering what you're thoughts where on using this rifle in the plainsman catagory?

Or am I going to be given a hard time for shooting this like I get for shooting the ROA. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deacon Stone

How thick is your skin? Browning "low-wall".

Maynard, Burnside. I also have a H&R in 44 mag which I may play with shooting 44 Russian or 44 Colt out of it.

I've got an older one with ejector that I've used before with no complaints from anyone. I've also used an original Low Wall .38-40, Uberti High Wall .45-70, Shiloh saddle rifle .45-70, and an original Trap Door .45-70 carbine.

Just got my hands on a H&R 45LC Carbine. I was wondering what you're thoughts where on using this rifle in the plainsman catagory?

Our am I going to be given a hard time for shooting this like I get for shooting the ROA. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deacon Stone

It's legal, shoot it.

My experience, both watching others and shooting my own, is that the H&R is the fastest to cycle. The Trapdoor seems pretty quick. The High Wall I shoot is slower by far as the hammer is harder to get to for cocking. The Sharps seems to be harder to feed cartridges into, I find interference from the extractor.

I have an Original Remington Rolling Block in 40-50 Sharps bottle-neck.

I also shoot a Navy Arms Remington Rolling Block in 45-70 Govt.

I have, but haven't used yet a H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic in 45-70 Govt. It has an ejector.

Big Jake

I'm not the real competitive type, so I like to use an original 1873 Trapdoor military rifle in 45-70 Gov't caliber. I load the rounds down with a 50 grain BP charge and filler so as not to ruin the targets.

I don't win much, but I have as much fun as anyone.....

Bp

H&R Officers Model Trapdoor Carbine in 45-70

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Deacon Stone

Go for it. I shoot an H&R in 38-55 and a pair of ROAs. These guns are OK by the rules. Most cowboys don't complian and I turn a deaf ear to the ones that do.

Will I think I will be okay with this little gun and my ROA. Like Clyde Henery says I'm within the SASS rules. So now I have to go and find a shoot that has a Plainsman catagory. Here in the Kansas and about I have never seen this. But I will be ready when that day comes. Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.

Deacon Stone

Will I think I will be okay with this little gun and my ROA. Like Clyde Henery says I'm within the SASS rules. So now I have to go and find a shoot that has a Plainsman catagory. Here in the Kansas and about I have never seen this. But I will be ready when that day comes. Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.

Deacon Stone

Plainsman matches are a regular side match of the larger events at Founders Ranch. That's a 716 mile drive from your location - probably time for a road trip in 2012. Tex is often the posse marshall for the Plainsman side match. Don't worry about being abused for shooting a handi-rifle. They don't care about those and heap their abuse instead on me and my baby rolling block shooting 38 Specials. Captain Baylor shoots ROAs and nobody hassle him.

I new that it was usually just a side match. But here in Kansas where lucky to have a Frontersman Catagory. Matter of fact if I want any compatition I have to shoot with those good guys from across the boarder to the east. And they don't like getting beat. But its there fault. They talked me into shooting the Holey Black. :blink::blink::blink: And for meeting you Allie Mo it would be an honnor to meet you, but I don't see myself heading that far West any time soon. Maybe someday at Winter Range.

Deacon Stone

I've never shot a plainsmen event, but plan to. I'll be using a #5 Remington Rolling Block re-barreled with a HEAVY 22" barrel chambered for Cowboy .45 Special. The late Dave Higginbotham built it up for me, and a pard in VT is doing the wood work. I expect a few of us are gonna wring it out for the first time as a completed rifle (I shot it with the stock tacked on a few times for grins) at Green Mountain Mayhem in May. Got me some 268 grain long nose HB bullets that run real nice through it.

Deacon,

If there is a club you frequent, ask the match director if you can shoot the Plainsman Category there. The primary difference we have for it is the Plainsmen shoot about half the rifle as other shooters. As the pistol and SG requirements are the same as Frontiersman, a single-shot rifle is the only difference. Reducing the number of shots cuts out the only real objection, which is "it would take too long."

Good luck!

Allie

Well

I have shot this event quite a few times with my H&R Officers Model Trapdoor Carbine in 45-70 and no whip loads :rolleyes: . So what I say might be a little harsh. IMHO the plainsman side match was set up for well Plainsmen. How many rifles were made in 45 Colt or some short case of that caliber. Kind of like shooting a break open rifle with extractors :rolleyes:

Get and shoot a mans rifle of that period :unsure:

Could be why we don't have to many of these side matches now.

Yea I have won some with the old trapdoor. Just load fast and shoot the other guns faster than then the rest of the guys.

Works every time

Been known to shoot a 6 stage main match with it just to get in a little practice :lol:

Deacon,

If there is a club you frequent, ask the match director if you can shoot the Plainsman Category there. The primary difference we have for it is the Plainsmen shoot about half the rifle as other shooters. As the pistol and SG requirements are the same as Frontiersman, a single-shot rifle is the only difference. Reducing the number of shots cuts out the only real objection, which is "it would take too long."

Good luck! Allie

Isn't that about the same Target count as is Cody Dickson? Same Pistol and Shotgun targets and target count as is used in the regular match, except 6 longer distance targets with the single shot Rifle.??

RBK

Isn't that about the same Target count as is Cody Dickson? Same Pistol and Shotgun targets and target count as is used in the regular match, except 6 longer distance targets with the single shot Rifle.??

RBK

Hi RBK,

I'm not familiar with that one. We just call ours Plainsman. Seems less confusing. :unsure:

Regards,

AM

Well AM,

I think the Cody Dixon is a Texas thing.

What you do is shoot the main match with the same guns as normal except for the rifle. It can be shot with Black or smokless. Rifle has to be a rifle caliber round and most the time it is 6 rounds rather than 10. The distance for the rifle is around 50-100 yards. The pistols and shotgun are the same as what everybody else shoots. All this category does is allow you to shoot your big bore rifle in a monthly match. It can be a lever or single shot.

In Texas we will have a Cody Dixon match only with singles and levers and team shoots like 5-6 on a team plus you can be just a single shooter.

Lot of fun and you get to shoot your big bore more than once or twice a year.

Wyandot

... So what I say might be a little harsh. IMHO the plainsman side match was set up for well Plainsmen. How many rifles were made in 45 Colt or some short case of that caliber.

Get and shoot a mans rifle of that period :unsure:

:blink:

Well... how about THIS original Low Wall in its wimpy ORIGINAL .38-40 chambering? It was also chambered in other wimpy ORIGINAL "short case" calibers such as .32-20 and .44-40.

:blink:

Well... how about THIS original Low Wall in its wimpy ORIGINAL .38-40 chambering? It was also chambered in other wimpy ORIGINAL "short case" calibers such as .32-20 and .44-40.

Well Pard ya missed the whole point. Everything you just stated are rifle rounds of sorts. Even if they were not the big bore rifle rounds of the day. Geeeeeeeeee I wonder why the Military or the Buff hunters didn't use them???

Keep the Plainsman event for the big bore rifles and shoot the pistol rounds in the main match. Thank you very much. Min. should be a 38-55.

Not a cut down 45Colt/ACP case :angry:

Well Pard ya missed the whole point. Everything you just stated are rifle rounds of sorts. Even if they were not the big bore rifle rounds of the day. Geeeeeeeeee I wonder why the Military or the Buff hunters didn't use them???

Keep the Plainsman event for the big bore rifles and shoot the pistol rounds in the main match. Thank you very much. Min. should be a 38-55.

Jim, whenever you would restrict the arms used in an alredy sparesly-populated event, you seek that which will destroy it. INCLUSIVE my friend, inclusive.

PS, my 268 grainers run probably 900 fps outta the rifle, which is not exactly cat sneeze round when it hits the steel.

Jim, whenever you would restrict the arms used in an alredy sparesly-populated event, you seek that which will destroy it. INCLUSIVE my friend, inclusive.

PS, my 268 grainers run probably 900 fps outta the rifle, which is not exactly cat sneeze round when it hits the steel.

Thank you!

Well, because they were a bit small and underpowered for buffalo - nobody should have to explain that to you...? The military didn't use them because of bad judgment about fighting on the "open" plains.

Ummm... the .38-40 and .44-40 are bigger bores than the the .38-55. :lol:

Nobody likes EVERYTHING about this game, but the majority must like it as it is or it wouldn't be as it is.

Kind of like shooting a break open rifle with extractors

How 'bout a vintage Frank Wesson BREAK OPEN WITH EXTRACTOR in .32 Long centerfire? I can't think of any rifle that might be used for this game that doesn't at least have extractors, and you yourself are using a rifle with EJECTORS, which a lot of folks look on as gaming. Mebbe we should outlaw extractors, ejectors, break actions, trap doors, limit the game to rolling blocks/falling blocks only, and push the empties out with a stick?

If the lighter chamberings in the Low Wall, Frank Wesson break action, and H&R/W&R rifles of the period weren't "plains rifles", what were they? Woods guns? Coach guns? Gentleman's plinking guns? Competition guns? A "plainsman" was nothing more than someone who lived in the Great Plains regions of North America, and more typically a farmer or rancher, not a buffalo hunter or cavalryman as you've implied. This is why there is also a Buffalo Single Shot rifle side match. ;)

The single shot cartridge gun was a natural progression of technology and obviously a better version of the single shot muzzleloader in use up to that time. Prior to that, buffalo, elk, and even grizzlies were regularly killed with patched round balls up to the time the self-contained cartridge came into common use on the plains. The Hawken was certainly called a "plains rifle" in its day.

JBar, I expect the "plains" era folks had as varied guns as anybody. From the times of the Revolution (not for nothing, at a little Dust-up at Saratoga, that changed the course of the war and history, a band of volunteers from VT with their SQUIRREL RIFLES gave bloody hell to the Brits.)

Ya don't suppose there were plenty of 30 caliber percussion and flint round ball rifles on the plains. Then as now, OLD guns didn't simply vanish when new ones appeared.

I don't own a single gun designed in the last 30 years, and most are well on to 100 years or more. in design (and few actual guns that old......)

Archived