SASS Wire Forum

Is this better

I took a lot of the advice you all gave me and re-vamped my video style.

Let me know if I improved things, or, if I went the other way.

This is part 2 of the Early Lever Action Rifle series: The 1865 Spencer Rifle

I liked it!!!!!!!!!!

Great start...I had ta reach for my guns, but they weren't there.

Keep on doing whatcha do !!!!

BH :D

PS Coarse Utube don't know Iliked it!!!

cause there ain't no dang I liked it Button thing whatchamacallit!!!!

OK.. I ain't a good critic because I hadn't watched your previous video's

That said.. I have very little interest in the Spencer.. but I watched it anyhow..

It was done well to my thinkin'..

I was losing interest about half way through.. but again..have little interest in the Spencer..

I'm sure people interested in the rifle found the history great..

But.. I continued to watch and when you went back outside and showed loading and firing..

I was glad I stay tuned...

Rance <_<

Thinkin' yer video was fine..

and heck.. I wasn't even much interested in the topic :blush:

Ya done good.. :)

Better.... Some comments I noted as I watched:

1. Good opening. More like this.
  2. Some extra sound in the back drop was distracting (maybe edit that out with Audacity.
  3. Maybe an evening or night shot to show off
  4. The top of your head and half you face was cropped at times. That is not good.
  5. The close up of reload was great idea! Unfortunately, it was very choppy and some parts of the loading were way off camera. Not Good. Try putting the gun on a stand or fixing it in some way so it does not move around.
  6. You maybe need a camera person or friend to help.
  7. A slow motion (if possible) of the flame and bullet to show off would get some repeat views
  8. If possible, splash some ballistic gel or water jugs to show off a bit.

;)

Yup - I liked it - saw it this mornin' (yup, I am a subscriber to your You Tube page so I get a notice sayin' ya posted a new video) :D

Guess these things are always going to be a work in progress...but it's good stuff Mike!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

very good video .

Mike

I know nothing about shooting & editing video but I like your new format. ( but you probably knew I would) I don't know if it is possible but A split screen showing you shooting & the impact of the bullet would really be neat.

Keep it up, your new format was very interesting.

Marlin

Hi Mike,

I like the new video. I enjoyed all the others but you are making an improved product. Keep up the good work.

Since you asked, two things I noticed.

1) What is a Blakeslee Box? Yeah, yeah - "I" know what it is. But many viewers might not. A cut into a pic of a Blakeslee Box would help explain this.

2) Along the same lines - do you have a rifle cradle or something else to hold a long gun? You may find it easier to pan across the gun, slowly, while it is laying on a table (shotgun shell or something of that nature through the trigger guard) while holding the camera. This would allow you to focus on the exact part of the gun you are describing. This could also help with loading - mounting the camera on the tripod with the gun in a rack of some sort would allow you to center your view on the loading area while leaving your hands free to do the work. No shaky camera and the view you want to show is centered in frame. With you holding the gun facing a still camera, it is difficult to frame both yourself and the gun in the picture. One is a detractor from the other when neither is the "center" of attention.

Still, I'll keep watching 'em if you don't change a thing.

Hi Mike,

I like the new video. I enjoyed all the others but you are making an improved product. Keep up the good work.

Since you asked, two things I noticed.

1) What is a Blakeslee Box? Yeah, yeah - "I" know what it is. But many viewers might not. A cut into a pic of a Blakeslee Box would help explain this.

Yep, if you mention something like that, show it.

2) Along the same lines - do you have a rifle cradle or something else to hold a long gun? You may find it easier to pan across the gun, slowly, while it is laying on a table (shotgun shell or something of that nature through the trigger guard) while holding the camera. This would allow you to focus on the exact part of the gun you are describing. This could also help with loading - mounting the camera on the tripod with the gun in a rack of some sort would allow you to center your view on the loading area while leaving your hands free to do the work. No shaky camera and the view you want to show is centered in frame. With you holding the gun facing a still camera, it is difficult to frame both yourself and the gun in the picture. One is a detractor from the other when neither is the "center" of attention.

Still, I'll keep watching 'em if you don't change a thing.

In your second shooting sequence, maybe add a voice over of "You have to pull the hammer back, work the lever...." Maybe cut the opening to showing only two or three shots.

When you were loading it was distracting having you turn and swing the butt out of the frame.

Delivery was much better. Overall, to me, a much more watchable video.

I thought it was great, Mike! As always I learned a lot. My only suggestion (and I'm only offering it because you asked) is to keep the hat on always - even when your indoors explaining the details of the gun. I know I'm being picky here but there's just something cool about about a guy talking about an old gun with his cowboy hat on. It adds a certain authenticity so to speak. Heck I eat diiner with mine on :)

First, let me say that I like your videos. I always learn something. That said, a few comments:

I like the new intro. Gets the viewer's attention right away.

As others have commented, need to zoom out when you are holding the firearm. Very distracting to have only part of your face showing. Better to get all of you from waist up in the frame with the firearm. If you want to show a close up of a particular feature, then zoom in, talk about it and then zoom back out.

The beginning shots at the range have distracting gun fire in the audio. Better to do that part in the back yard or somewhere else outdoors that is quiet. The indoor shots with the grey curtain as a backdrop would also be better in the outdoors. Consistency in look is important. Gives continuity to the video.

Probably just me, but I don't really enjoy watching someone shoot round after round just to fill time, like Hickok45 does. I watch some of his videos, but tend to fast forward or mute the audio when he just shoots and shoots. Yours is much better balanced.

Please know these comments are given as (hopefully) constuctive critcism only -- and keep up the good work.

MMS

By Far the Best Video you have put out !!!!

Wow Ya listened and then done something better ....

your'e on the right track ...

Great job ...

Jabez Cowboy

I liked the shooting sequence with the camera down range.

Agree with the others on cropping your head and the reloading sequence.

Overall I enjoyed the video and, having never fired a Spencer, it brought a question to mind: In the firing sequences you were bringing the gun down to manipulate the loading, can it be done from the shoulder?

BP

Great work....liked this version. A picture of the Blackley box would have been nice. A few other things...some have already been said....

1. Opening sequence against a board backdrop had sounds of gunshots going off as you were talking...this is distracting and took some attention off what you were saying.

2. When you were inside showing the gun your head kept coming in and out of the picture. It'd be good if you could with have someone shoot the video for you as you make the presentation or back the camera up on the tripod a bit so that your head would stay in the frame.

3. Put the gun on some type of stand and zoom in on the gun and show the whole gun up close with slow movement of the camera.

4. When you were loading the gun in the field dropping rounds in the stock your hands kept going off and back into the frame. Again, either have someone to hold the camera or position it on the tripod a little more toward the ammo box so that your hands stay in the frame.

5. A BIG PLUS....I liked the different camera angles (3 if I remember correctly) of the shooting. One showing you shoot....one showing the targets being hit and one that the bad guy would see being shot at....that angle is very cool.

Keep up the good work....I like watching your videos.

Enjoyed it Mike, but you gotta get your head screwed on right about this or it will drive you nuts. Subject matter will never allow you to draw large audiences BUT would you want to do something you did not love to please others of different interests? And all of this stuff about cropping and editing for sound, etc etc are from guys who would not pay one cent to offset the production cost, or one nickle to watch two elephants for that matter. Just do what you love and those of us who share that niche with you will be here waiting for the next release. When you are ready to hire a professional video team and shoot a two or three hour video, I'll have lots of suggestions for stuff that can not be squeezed in now. One thing I can guaranty you about such an undertaking, you will lose your pants financially on such a project! We are just a tiny niche audience and most of us applaud your efforts.

Howdy:

Loved the opening....The entire video was informative and quite interesting. I have seen several Spencer rifles at Tulsa, never saw them work before. Keep up the good work.

STL Suomi

Howdy Mike

I really liked the opening! That will probably get old if you do it a lot, but it certainly was something different.

I also loved seeing the bullets hit the target, great idea!

My only quibble with any of your videos is that the subject often tends to disappear out of the frame when you are attempting to do manipulate something and still keep it in the frame. I know you try hard not to let that happen, but it still does. The only real solution to that seems to be a separate camera man, but that probably is not in your budget.

The real problem is now you have piqued my interest in the Spencer. I was never interested in them before, but now I am. Big problem. Thanks a lot.

My next video will be about building a gun I call the Remington Bulldog...unfortunately there is more talking in that one...

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k527/duelist1954/bulldog02.jpg

bulldog02.jpg

OK...why doesn't the picture show up?

My next video will be about building a gun I call the Remington Bulldog...unfortunately there is more talking in that one...

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k527/duelist1954/bulldog02.jpg

bulldog02.jpg

OK...why doesn't the picture show up?

That feature is disabled, Mike.

Archived