SASS Wire Forum

How much do you shoot?

Creeker, SASS #43022

I write a monthly column for the Eldorado Cowboys. I hope you enjoy it.

For other columns or to see what else the Elorado Cowboys are up to. Please visit our Websites.

www.eldoradocowboys.com

www.eldorado2011.com

How much do you shoot?

You hear that question posed every month, usually by a newer shooter trying to determine if their practice schedule is in line with the shooters they are trying to emulate.

But, have you ever really considered the question "How much do you shoot?"

How much lead do we throw downrange in a week, a month, or a year?

We know our round counts, so let's do some math

In a standard Eldorado Cowboys weekend we shoot 12 stages (six Saturday, six Sunday).

Each stage, on average, consists of 10 pistol, 10 rifle and 4 shotgun.

That works out to 240 rounds of pistol/ rifle and 48 rounds of shotgun (let's call it 50).

Now let's assume the average grain weight of those bullets are 150 gr. (averaging the 45/ 44-40 and 38 shooters altogether to arrive at that number).

240 (rounds in a weekend) multiplied by 150 gr. equals 36,000 gr. of lead.

7000 grains in a pound.

Divide 36,000 by 7000 just a hair over FIVE pounds of lead per shooter.

Whoops I forgot the shotgun shells. Averaging 1 ounce loads and 50 shells, that's another three pounds of lead per shooter.

Every shooter every Eldorado weekend EIGHT POUNDS of lead.

If you were to shoot every Eldorado monthly, Dam Site and the Eldorado Nevada State Championship you would shoot over 100 pounds of lead (just at Eldorado not counting other monthlies, annuals and practice) in the course of the year.

So the next time you're asked "How much do you shoot?" You might have a little different perspective on the answer.

Guest Texas Jack Black

With all my other shooting venues 5,000 rounds a week for over forty years. Not bad for a non shooter.That includes target ,hunting and teaching

T J B

In Dec and Jan of every winter I load about 10,000 rounds which are about 80-85% 38 spl and 15-20% 32 S&W longs. I buy loaded shotgun ammo. Almost all of this is used by by wife and myself, but occasionally I give ammo to a new shooter or to a friend or son.

Eight pounds of lead per shooter??

Suddenly the EPA SWAT team began suiting up...... :blink:;)

Close to 15 lbs of lead/month for me. Usually shoot 4 matches a month, so 480 bullets at 125 grs each is about 8.57 lbs. 100 rounds of shotgun at an ounce each comes out to 6.25 lbs for a total of 14.82 lbs of lead. If I shoot at that pace 9 months in a year the total is 133 lbs per year.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how come these guys shoot so good...practice practice practice. Even know a pard out here who has his own area to shoot on his property. A bit envious of those who can do it...but extremely thankful that there are people that passionate involved in our game.

GG

Guest Texas Jack Black

Not as much as you guys...and TJB: if you're such a big shooter - how much of that is SASS? You don't seem one to support our sport much.

GG

Let me see now, I shot SASS for years but due to business commitments I had to back off for a while. I did bring a state championship match to my state and made sure that a Regional was given to the proper venue. I admit that I can ruffle feathers at times but no more than MANY on this wire. I pay my dues and have donated to ALL the SASS fund raisers.and most of all I look forward each day to reading the wire ,it brings quite a :) to me.

Thanks TJB...fair nuff I reckon. Just hard to tell your position on our support given some of your posts...so, that's where I am comin' from.

GG

5-7000 shotgun shells per year, 8,000 .38 Specials, 1,000 .357 magnums, 500 .45 ACP's, 5,000 9MM's and 10,000 .22 LR's....

Thanks TJB...fair nuff I reckon. Just hard to tell your position on our support given some of your posts...so, that's where I am comin' from.

GG

It's refreshing to hear two adult gentlemen have a rational and respectful question and answer. Thanks GG and TJB.

Fillmore

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Careful now. :unsure:

Them "Green freaks" will think were puttin' out too much lead.

MG

Creeker;

So this means at Winter Range, the Shooters send down range in excess of 5,000 lb'.

WOW ! B)

Lefty,

Actually Winter Range scored out:

739 main match shooters x 8 pounds (12 stages each) = 5912 lbs. But add in...

112 Wild Bunch shooters x 8 pounds (12 stages each) = 896 lbs +

(approx)180 Mini match shooters x 2.66 pounds (3 stages each) = 479 lbs

And I had to estimate on the Mini Match, as I could not find it online, but it sold out, so I think I'm close.

So NOT counting side matches or speed events, WR 2011 shooters send downrange approx. 7287 POUNDS of lead in that single week of shooting.

I'm just getting started (7 months) but so far I've managed to average about 3.5 matches a month, add in annuals, state matches and side matches and I figure about 600+ .38 rounds a month and 100+ shotgun. I hope to be able to join a gun club at some point and get in some live fire practice. I would like to be sending a minimum of 1,000 .38 rounds down range a month. I figure that's the minimum I need to get my times in the teens.

AFS,Canadian Nationals and SASS Canadian Nationals, both shot in the span of 9 days,,,,,, Missed most of the side matches (fixing guns)shot only the Longrange ane Whirling Derbish....

Equals close to 25 pounds sent downrange by this shooter ....

Shotshells 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. 16s 1 0z. .45s 250gr. and .40-65s 370gr. per shot.......

This being just two matches,,,,,,,

Jabez Cowboy

Not near as much as I'd like. Time on range is down about 50% this year. Gas prices, family commitments and the heat.

Creeker; I probably shoot about 25 stages per month.

25 X 10X 110gr.=27,500gr + somewhere around 100 12 ga shotgun.

Hope this helps.

KK

"5,000 rounds a week for over forty years"

Wow. That's over 10 million rounds fired. Somebody should be a Grandmaster shooter just by accident with that many rounds downrange. A lot of factory ammo or reloading components, whichever way you cut it. Gator

Guest Texas Jack Black

"5,000 rounds a week for over forty years"

Wow. That's over 10 million rounds fired. Somebody should be a Grandmaster shooter just by accident with that many rounds downrange. A lot of factory ammo or reloading components, whichever way you cut it. Gator quote

I have reloaded for over forty years and have shot all the disciplines I taught for 30 years and practiced two days a week for at least 30 years .Own nine Dillon and four shot shell presses Still have my Magma casting equipment. If you checked the classified this year you would have seen that I have been slowly selling much of my equipment I have other interests that have slowed down the shooting.

I kept a log and I could have retired on what I have spent on throwing lead .

But it brought a :) to me

T J B

Seriously? NO brag, just fact, huh? I very seriously doubt any human has ever shot over 5,000 rounds a week for over 40 years. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. That's just silly talk. Didja forgit who ye are talkin' to here? We are shooters. Such a feat would be a dawn to dark propostition. No way. No how.

I average about 20 stages a month, I guess. Mostly 158 grain 38s and Featherlites with the occasional 5 stages of 230 RNL ACP and 250 45LC.

I had a pard that shot-up 3 farms,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sold them and shot up the money .....

The fourth was the death of him ........ Turned that one into Whiskey ,,,, Should have stuck ta shooting ....

Jabez Cowboy

This thread has made me think ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, .8571 of a pound of lead down range per stage x 12 =10.285 pounds of lead ...

This is a lot of lead counting all the Cowboy shooters out there ...

Jabez Cowboy

I'm wondering what it would take in terms of time for a CAS shooter to average sending 5,000 rounds downrange for 52 weeks a year.

That's 260,000 rounds a year. If you take two weeks vacation a year that leaves 50 weeks for shooting, so that's 5,200 rounds a week.

Let's say you take one day off per week, that's 5,200 rounds in 6 days or 866 rounds a day.

If it takes 20 seconds to load two revolvers, 20 seconds to unload them and 20 seconds for the rifle that's 60 seconds per stage, plus say 30 seconds to stage your guns, 30 for mental prep and shooting time, 20 to pick up brass you get a total of 2 minutes 20 seconds per 20 rounds down range.

2 minutes 20 seconds per 20 rounds into 866 rounds a day is just about 96 minutes throw in minimal set up time, say 10 minutes, breakdown 10 minutes, 4 minutes to walk out your back door to the range and you have 2 hours a day. You got to clean those babies particularly at that volume, so let's say 5 minutes per gun for a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes a day 6 days a week 50 weeks a year.

Of course if you reload that's easily another 2 hours a day.

For simplicity sake I ignored the shotgun :blink:

Looks like you could easily spend almost half your day with shooting and shooting related activities.

Another way to look at how much we may shoot is time. The wife and I shoot 3 matches a month (was easily double this 10 years ago). Let's say it takes 30 seconds to shoot a stage...........times 6 stages = 180 seconds or 3 minutes for the day. I can tell you it takes more than 3 minutes to load the ammo, clean the guns or drive. It's fun or we wouldn't do it.

Archived