SASS Wire Forum

Is there something wrong with me?

Utah Bob #35998

Well...I mean other than the obvious things. <_<

But I don't have any super slicked up guns. I've done a little work on some. Polishing, new springs, etc. that pretty much anybody can do themselves. But almost everybody I know has sent their guns out to a renowned SASS gunsmith to be improved.

I don't seem to have any desire to do it. Am I just too cheap? I've used some of those slicked up masterpieces and they're fantastic, but I still don't mind my mostly stock guns.

I guess I'm too easy to please. :unsure:;)

I am sure there is plenty wrong with you UB :P , but your point with 'guns' is fine.

I used to be a out-of-the-box advocate for guns and was perfectly happy with the way they felt and worked. BUT, one day I tried a slicked up Marlin - and it felt great - so I had mine slicked up. Then I treid a slicked up '92 - and it felt great - so I had mine slicked up. Then I tried a slicked up Vaquero - and it felt great - so I had mine slicked up. The Vaquero when shooring 'gunfighter' would be a bit of a chore after a few stages, but now I can go all day with 'em. the guns are easier to shoot and more enjoyable to ME.

...and there's nothing wrong with that ~ to each his own, right? ;)

My guns have been worked on by Deuce Stevens and Ketchum Quick - they aren't 'renowned' so to speak, but being great shooters they know thier stuff - it is great to have locals that can do the work of any of the famous gun slicker folks out there.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If your guns work and you're happy with them, no need to have anything else done to them. But like GG said, guns that have been worked over by someone who knows their stuff feel really good and are a pleasure to shoot. To each their own. Personally I like to know that my guns are as good as they can get, so I can't blame anything on equipment if I don't shoot as fast as I want to.

Only time I'll tell someone else to think about getting their guns worked on is when I see someone struggling just to get the gun to work properly. That's no fun for anyone.

For my ownself, my NMV's have just new springs, my Stoeger SXS smoothed cylinders done myself, and the rifle is right out of the box. As fer my wife who is just geting started the only thing I anticipate real soon is getting the Rossi 92 slicked up so at least it will feed without the bullet jamming. I hope to attempt this pretty soon so she can get into the game with her own stuff. She does NOT like to borrow others guns. I have checked into Nate Kiowa Jones web site and will purchase the DVD and spring kit. Over all I guess if we ever get fast enough to feel that the equipment is the hold up then we will get into the upgrading

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands. Oh, that might not work here.

When I first got started I had my pistols, 92 and Brave Star's guns slicked up by a local shooter/gunsmith. After that I reverse engineered what he did and was able to replicate that in guns I acquired after that. It does take one more variable out of the equation.

There is nothing wrong with you Bob. Besides the obvious. But if your guns work for you, go out and have fun.

You are a strange man, Utah :rolleyes:

Having said that, everyone's mileage may vary. I like engraving, and slicked up shooting irons. I like real stag and real ivory grips, and butter smooth actions.

Shoot what you like and like what you shoot :)

Is there something wrong with you? Uh— :o:o:P I'd love to say...! :lol:

No, kidding. You don't like to slick your guns? I don't see that it matters. I have some that are slicked and some that aren't.

It's like cars. Some people like to mess with them and tinker. Some people like to have a Ferrari or something. Some people like to have a simple, smooth muscle car. Some really love their old truck.

One can easily feel that someone who loves his ole truck, or who prefers a stock muscle car, or something, is just a person who is comfortable with what he's doing. The Ferraris don't get there that much faster, especially when most of the difference in time is in the SHOOTER, not the gun, anyway.

And what, really, does it matter? It's fun to see if we can beat "x" time, or to see if we can improve, or to get patted on the back if we do well, but in the end, it's the FUN that counts, for me. The enjoyment.

So if your thing is to whip along the freeway in a Ferrari, or if your fun is in cruising Route 66 in a Mustang—enjoy. Life life. :)

Lets see, I've sent 2 firearms out for CAS slickem, both came back with problems that weren't there before, including broken ejector spring. Cases wouldn't eject, etc. Very highly recommended smithy's here on the wire. I even paid, sent money order overnight, had an overnight return envelope included all paid for for damaged part which I was assurred the smithy had and would ship. Well 3 weeks later it came in a regular envelope.

Nope, any work, I'll do myself. Been burned twice, no need for a third time or keep sending back. (See how nice I am, won't even mention the highly recommended smithies, I just won't do business with them). Oh yes, I'm bitter on this matter. :angry: MT

Being a FAST GUN and trick shot artist, I find that my irons MUST be slicked to a degree.

All of my match guns have felt the touch of a professional smith or at least a talented

gun aficionado. That said, I purchased my pistols as used guns, and the former owners

had them serviced. My rifle suffered from the dreaded Marlin Jam and was attended to

by a friend and fellow shooter. My shotgun, being a Russian tank, needed some tinkering

to allow a mere mortal to open and close it.

All of these corrections to the design have allowed me to become the legend that I am. :lol:

In reality, all of them fit my needs very nicely. All feel pleasant in my hands and when I shoot.

Aside from accuracy, what more could one wish for. My accuracy issues are not the fault of any of my firearms.

Being a FAST GUN and trick shot artist, I find that my irons MUST be slicked to a degree.

:lol:

I am not a fast gun but I am a trick shot artist.

Frequently people say "I can't believe you missed that."

UB, I have not slicked up any of my weapons.

The C&B pistolas, I have changed the steel nipppels to tresco nippels and have lever actions that are leather wrapped.

I can't find any where that there was a slicked up gun in history.

UB, I have not slicked up any of my weapons.

The C&B pistolas, I have changed the steel nipppels to tresco nippels and have lever actions that are leather wrapped.

I can't find any where that there was a slicked up gun in history.

I can't imagine someone who made their living with a gun didn't tinker with it to make it as smooth as possible, or have someone else do it for him.

I'm with you Bob. I view a gun purchase as a new project. I enjoy the chance to learn while I tinker. Once I have it the way I want it, I usually loose interest in it, put it in the safe, and look for another project to buy.

The only gunsmithing that I have ever had done is buying my wife's SASS Vaqueros from Longhunter. They were cheaper than buying them stock locally, so it was a no brainer. My slicked-up-by-me Vaqueros work just as good though.

Is there something wrong with you, Bob? I wouldn't say so; I'm not much of a fan of slicked up whiz-bang guns, myself; good working, yes, but not necessarily "slick". Early in my SASS days, I checked out some of the "famous" shootists custom guns at EOT one year, and they actually made me nervous to feel how smooth and slick they were. Later on, I actually wore my regular shooters to the point I thought they needed to be refurbished, so I took 'em in to Ol' Lonesum and had him work them over. He did his usual marvelous job on them, and they worked really nice, but the first match I shot after I got them back, I had so many ADs downrange that I actually quit in the middle of a stage (see the thread on trigger finger placement above or below). It took me a while to retrain myself to be more tender handed with them, and I never had as much confidence in them after that. So, each to his own, I guess; me, I'm a bullpin and sledgehammer type of guy, don't do so well with the fine stuff. :ph34r::D

I have a LOT of Cowboy Action guns, and have never sent ANY of them off to a professional, HOWEVER... after reading Coyote Cap's page about identifying 35 SEPARATE PROBLEMS with the Norinco 1887 shotgun, I think I'll probably send that one to him. ;)

I have intentionally "de-tuned" a handful of my CAS guns that were purchased from individuals who claimed things like, "$100 action job by Super Shooter Smith Guy", because I couldn't even feel pressure on the trigger before the bang. When I buy a used gun, the words "action job" make me cringe, and I see it as something that should justify a price reduction rather than a selling point.

Well, owner of a Marlin 1894, and victim of the Marlin Jam, some remedial action was necessary.

The fellow that did the correction on mine did a first rate job. The trigger on all of my guns is what I

would figure to be safe. In fact, I reworked a slicked up trigger on another non CAS rifle that I bought recently, because it was too light. I guess if you are a benchrest shooter, a looky/touchy trigger action is ok, but when you are walking around with one, not so much.

If one owns a Marlin 1894, I strongly recommend that you correct the lever and carrier. The jam will happen at some point if you do not. Most likely in the middle of a clean match with you in first place and everybody watching you. :lol:

As far as the Baikal shotgun goes, these things have springs like Russian T34s. If you want to use it,

you will need a remedy. :rolleyes:

I am not a fast gun but I am a trick shot artist.

Frequently people say "I can't believe you missed that."

I can relate! I have also been considered very "creative" in how I shoot a stage. I'm just glad one can't get more than one P.

RR

I can't imagine someone who made their living with a gun didn't tinker with it to make it as smooth as possible, or have someone else do it for him.

I can. I had too many officers who tinkered with their guns or had a local gunsmith work on them to a point they had much too light hammer and trigger springs, filed down sears, etc. NIce for the range but bad in a tactical situation. Our dept eventually outlawed personally owned guns for that reason and prohibited any work on issued guns other than by one of our armorers.

I can. I had too many officers who tinkered with their guns or had a local gunsmith work on them to a point they had much too light hammer and trigger springs, filed down sears, etc. NIce for the range but bad in a tactical situation. Our dept eventually outlawed personally owned guns for that reason and prohibited any work on issued guns other than by one of our armorers.

Well - thank goodness we ain't shootin' at people in defense or have the need to be 'tactical' at CAS matches.....at least I haven't :unsure:

UB

I am of the school of , it must go BANG each and every time .

Triggers must be safe , and it does not do STUPID things when firing ,

The gun that is , the operator MAY be a differant story .

I will not fix things , what ain't BROKE

CB

Yup - however, if something can be improved upon - why not? ;) - to each his/her own

Like Grizz said:

"Lots of way to enjoy this game within the rules.

Have fun."

Sounds good to me :)

Well - thank goodness we ain't shootin' at people in defense or have the need to be 'tactical' at CAS matches.....at least I haven't :unsure:

I was speaking only of operator butchered guns I have examined and those that were worked on by less than competent gunsmiths. Service guns don't need to be modified.

I was not inferring that guns cannot be improved for competition, especially by one of the expert gunsmiths commonly used by SASS shooters.

I was speaking only of operator butchered guns I have examined and those that were worked on by less than competent gunsmiths. Service guns don't need to be modified.

I was not inferring that guns cannot be improved for competition, especially by one of the expert gunsmiths commonly used by SASS shooters.

OK

Well, I'm kinda with you, UB. My NMVs are out of the box. They work fine for me. However, my Marlin and Stoeger both had to be worked on. I don't remember what the problem with the Marlin was but I recall I had a problem getting the Stoeger to break open correctly for me. I'm a self taught leftie and that's not my strong side. The only other "action" job I received was courtesy of Mother Nature. We shot a two day match in a horrific sand storm in the desert last year. :o Try as you might, you couldn't keep your guns clean. They received a very thorough cleaning after that. :D

You aint obsessed with "Winning" like Charlie says...

You are more interested in havin' fun.....

Good on ya...

UB, I was speaking directly to "no slicked up guns in history"

As your experience confirms, folks like to tinker, and not always wisely. But I believe it happened back then as it does now.

You aint obsessed with "Winning" like Charlie says...

You are more interested in havin' fun.....

Good on ya...

I ain't gonna be 'winning' either, but the work I had on my firearms has made them more enjoyable and easier for them to shoot for ME ;) I guarantee that I am having just as much fun as the guy with 'stock' guns - I used to be a 'stock' gun shooter, now i am having even more fun :P

Besides, UB already has a 'winning' avatar :lol:

I ain't gonna be 'winning' either, but the work I had on my firearms has made them more enjoyable and easier for them to shoot for ME ;) I guarantee that I am having just as much fun as the guy with 'stock' guns - I used to be a 'stock' gun shooter, now i am having even more fun :P

Besides, UB already has a 'winning' avatar :lol:

Yeah but I had to take it down. Sheen threatened to sue me and squirt me with tiger blood. :unsure:

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

I'm with you Bob, most of my cowboy1 guns are mostly factory except Wolff springs, but the outside has been engraved by the following- Gene Shultz@ WWW.SETINSTEELENGRAVING, Howard Barnett@ www.barnettwildlifecreations.com, Sid Ryan @www.sidryan2.com, Jim Downing @ www.thegunengraver.com,Tom of Oklahoma 405-273-9270, I like scratched up guns, JB BOOKS liked his guns all scratched up also,

Regards

EL NEGRO GATO :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Archived