SASS Wire Forum

Tailgaters

Rye Miles #13621

Man do I hate people that get on my a$% and just won't back off. :angry: Sometimes I "brake check" 'em, sometimes I just keep getting slower until they pass me. Don't they realize how dangerous that is? Always keep a couple of car lengths between you and the car in front of especially on the highway!:wacko:

Anybody got any sure fired remedies to get them off yer a%^? Now let's get creative here...........................

My favorite method is to get out of their way and let them pass.

But I'm a fast driver so it rarely happens to me. B) .

Around here it's the dang 18 wheelers that just can't seem to abide the 65mph limit on 666. :angry:

I know what you mean. :angry: I get them screaming up behind, then tuck in so close their lights are gone from view. I just ease off the gas until they either back off or go around.

I thought about a pair of fake SxS shotgun barrels in the back window, and a sign that says, "IF YOU CAN READ THIS,...YOU'RE IN RANGE". But weapons of any kind are not allowed on the property where I work.

Man do I hate people that get on my a$% and just won't back off. :angry: Sometimes I "brake check" 'em, sometimes I just keep getting slower until they pass me. Don't they realize how dangerous that is? Always keep a couple of car lengths between you and the car in front of especially on the highway!:wacko:

Anybody got any sure fired remedies to get them off yer a%^? Now let's get creative here...........................

Well, in this day and age, messing with somebody on the highway might get you shot or rammed.

Don't quite understand some folks. But when I get somebody on my tail, I usually tap the brakes a few times and slow down. If that doesn't work I will try to get out of their way and either pull over to let them through and then try to get the license plate and call it in to the police. Don't know that it will do any good, but perhaps it might save somebody's life.

That's true. Last year, a neighbor kid had someone tailgate him. He stupidly aimed an obscene gesture at the guy. Mr. Road Rage followed the kid home and hit him with a crowbar. The kid admitted he shouldn't have made the obscene gesture. Ya think?

Sorry, pard, but your method of dealing with it is just as dangerous. Keep going at your normal speed and, when safe, pull over to let them pass. It's the safe and courteous thing to do.

One of the most egregious acts of stupidity committed on the highway was by a dump truck driver. He was in the median at a construction site on GA 400. Traffic was moving at the speed limit. He just slowly pulls across four lanes of rush hour traffic. The guy in front of me braked, managed to stop a couple of feet away from this idiot. I braked to a stop several feet before the guy in front of me (so on down the line). Good thing none of us were tailgating.

I wasted no time filing a complaint with the head engineer at GDOT.

Sometimes I'll hit my flashers for a couple of blinks... the idea being that it might look like the brake being tapped. Actually, it often seems to work.

Couple of weeks ago we had a freakin' BUS pull up literally on our bumper on the freeway (Highway 99)... as close as a car might parallel park by a curb - probably no more than five feet off our bumper. Traffic in the next lane prevented us from moving for a bit... but just as soon as we could, we switched lanes and the bus zoomed past.

That bus had Mexico plates. <_<:angry: I truly wish I'd had a pen handy... *grump!*

Awell placed gatlin gun in the bed of your truck ought to do the trick! :lol:

Seriously though, The Break Check thing is dangerous! just hang at the speed your at and if they want to pass they can. If not then I guess they will go the same speed.

I have driven commercially for 15 years now, and (knock on wood) not one accident, not even a ticket. I drive fast at times and I deal with my share of road rage. If I'm running an OD load I get miffed when someone comes up beside me on a four lane and runs the cruise control hovering back by my trailer and hanging out in my blind spots. I will be the first to admit there are some folks that.......need a bit more training before they get turned lose behind the wheel of a big truck, but for the most part truck drivers are very safety oriented. One does want to keep in mind that they have a lot more vehicle to control that your average car. They DON'T stop on a dime, so if your a truck driver that likes to tailgate........DON'T!! If your in a car passing one, be safe, and remember these guys are doing their job to make sure the things you need are available to you.

That said, if your gonna pass, PASS!! If not get off my A$$!! :D

~EE Taft~

I've made a number of tailgaters back off by giving my windshield washers a loooong spray and wipe. The dense ones require a second dose. They have to start their wipers and then either back off to avoid more spray-back, or move to another lane and/or go around. I make it a point to smile when they go by.

Awell placed gatlin gun in the bed of your truck ought to do the trick! :lol:

That said, if your gonna pass, PASS!! If not get off my A$$!! :D

~EE Taft~

No, the gun on the back just gets people hanging in your blind spot taking photos. I know, I tow one of our units guns to reenactments. Idjits will sit there along side the trailer taking photos for 5 miles. A real PITA if I need to change lanes in that direction.

And, yes, if you are going to pass, gun it and get past. DO NOT hang along side.

I ease over to the right, then pull back out, catch up behind them, pull them over and write them a ticket.

Amazing how many follow too close tickets I write using an unmarked patrol car. :rolleyes:

My favorite method is to get out of their way and let them pass.

But I'm a fast driver so it rarely happens to me. B) .

Ditto!

The road to my house is very windy. I hate it when I get behind someone going 35 who brakes on every corner and can't even stay on their own side of the road. Most will pull over but not all. There is absolutely no place to pass on this road.

Regards,

Allie Mo

If you know the road you are driving on, and you know there are no upcoming straight aways for the tailgater to pass, and there is no on coming traffic, then turn on your turn signal to the right, slow down, pull over as far as you safely can AND LET HIM Pass.. Then pull back on and travel at your pace. I Know, there are a lot of if's in what I just wrote, but it works where I live and drive. I appreciate it when on the rare occassions when I come upon a slow poke, he pulls over/off and lets me go. After I get around, I will flash my brake lights for an instant to say,,, Thank You...

Blastmaster

Hey!

I've got a rant. When hubby and I would go to Eureka for Guns of the Timberlands, we'd take 101 up. Another windy road. The last time we were behind a slow truck. However, every time we'd get to a staight stretch, he'd speed up. So, to pass we had to go really fast. Guess what, hubby got a ticket. Arrgh!

Just saying...

Regards,

Allie Mo

Sometimes I'll hit my flashers for a couple of blinks... the idea being that it might look like the brake being tapped. Actually, it often seems to work.

Couple of weeks ago we had a freakin' BUS pull up literally on our bumper on the freeway (Highway 99)... as close as a car might parallel park by a curb - probably no more than five feet off our bumper. Traffic in the next lane prevented us from moving for a bit... but just as soon as we could, we switched lanes and the bus zoomed past.

That bus had Mexico plates. <_<:angry: I truly wish I'd had a pen handy... *grump!*

Probably another benefit of NAFTA.

Yup. And it's doubly annoying when they pass you (half the time on a blind hill or curve) only to pull back in front of you and slow down to the same speed you were going to start with. Or slower. :angry:

JHC

Hey!

I've got a rant. When hubby and I would go to Eureka for Guns of the Timberlands, we'd take 101 up. Another windy road. The last time we were behind a slow truck. However, every time we'd get to a staight stretch, he'd speed up. So, to pass we had to go really fast. Guess what, hubby got a ticket. Arrgh!

Just saying...

Regards,

Allie Mo

That just ain't right!

Ya know what burns me? a long grade and two semis sitting right net two each other, not letting others by, while they have matched each other's speed of 15 under the limit. I've called a few of those in to the trucking company number on the back of the trailer.

Yup. And it's doubly annoying when they pass you (half the time on a blind hill or curve) only to pull back in front of you and slow down to the same speed you were going to start with. Or slower. :angry:

JHC

That is when you activate your automobile forward mounted heat deflector shield, lock/load/activate the radiator grill mounted heat seeking, up the tailpipe, small nuclear warhead missle,,,,and,,,,,,,FIRE. Nothing like seeing that car/truck lift up and off the road in a firey ball of fire into the ditch. :rolleyes:

"One of these days Alice" ... Straight to the Moon. :lol:

I recently had an obnoxious tailgater while driving at night on a long road with no place to pass. After a few minutes of enduring headlight glare, I turned my rearview mirror and two big (truck) side mirrors to send that glare right back at the tailgater.

He backed off to a reasonable distance and I readjusted my mirrors. When the road straightened out, I let him by. No gestures on the part of either driver.

Well, it worked once, anyhow.

buena suerte,

eGG

I recently had an obnoxious tailgater while driving at night on a long road with no place to pass. After a few minutes of enduring headlight glare, I turned my rearview mirror and two big (truck) side mirrors to send that glare right back at the tailgater.

He backed off to a reasonable distance and I readjusted my mirrors. When the road straightened out, I let him by. No gestures on the part of either driver.

Well, it worked once, anyhow.

buena suerte,

eGG

I've had that work a few times too!

~EE Taft~

I wood keep a plastic baggie full of good smellin' pee....

rat close so I cood git to it in my KW.

When dem 4 wheelers wood not git off my a$%, I'd toss it out da winder !!!

SLAPT !!!!! :lol:

That just ain't right!

Ya know what burns me? a long grade and two semis sitting right net two each other, not letting others by, while they have matched each other's speed of 15 under the limit. I've called a few of those in to the trucking company number on the back of the trailer.

Da reason why we do dat is to keep da 4 wheelers in line... takin' turns like dey are to do, instead of racing up to da front and blockin' everythin' up !! ;)

hehehehe.

Just don't do what I did one time........I threw a half gallon milk jug full out the winder!!

Just in time for car to drop in behind me off an exit ramp!!

They followed and had some words for me that they shouted out the window!

~EE Taft~

One of the most egregious acts of stupidity committed on the highway was by a dump truck driver. He was in the median at a construction site on GA 400. Traffic was moving at the speed limit. He just slowly pulls across four lanes of rush hour traffic. The guy in front of me braked, managed to stop a couple of feet away from this idiot. I braked to a stop several feet before the guy in front of me (so on down the line). Good thing none of us were tailgating.

I wasted no time filing a complaint with the head engineer at GDOT.

W.B. ...I'm a retired TRUCKER ( among other things !) Not a driver...a TRUCKER !!! I was on da road, in my own truck, when we where called "Knights Of Da Highway !!" Boy, has things changed.

The Atlanta Police and State Troopers will not drive the "Suicide Circle" at all.....

I don't blame'em nery bit !!! ;)

W.B. ...I'm a retired TRUCKER ( among other things !) Not a driver...a TRUCKER !!! I was on da road, in my own truck, when we where called "Knights Of Da Highway !!" Boy, has things changed.

The Atlanta Police and State Troopers will not drive the "Suicide Circle" at all.....

I don't blame'em nery bit !!! ;)

Huh?

hehehehe.

Just don't do what I did one time........I threw a half gallon milk jug full out the winder!!

Just in time for car to drop in behind me off an exit ramp!!

They followed and had some words for me that they shouted out the window!

~EE Taft~

Have ya ever tryed da ole marshmellow trick ??

Ifin' ya are doin' da speed limit, toss a few of'em out da winder...

Da wind will make'em expand and da tailgater will think der rocks !!! :lol:

Huh?

Miss Allie Mo (no E) ...

Da Suicide Circle is da beltway aroung Atlanta GA.

I 20 and I 85 mostly.

Has anyone else noticed the increase in cars tailgating big trucks?

I think it is all the websites about "hypermileing" that show up when the price of gasoline goes up.

One of the tricks they mention is the "by tucking in close behind a big truck you can save up to 20% on your fuel" then they will of course say that it is not safe and not to do it but I bet most kid that are short on cash ignore that part. I sure have seen more of it lately. last week I passed what I at first took to be a car being towed behind a bus conversion RV but then as I passed themI could see that the big SUV was mot more than 4 feet behind the RV and was being driven there by someone who looked about 13 years old and frightened to boot. I did pull off at the next rest area and call the state police... but I do wonder if calls of that sort ever do any good...

Once, southbound on 99, not far from Bakersfield, about midnight, there was a guy who would NOT turn off his brights. Three truckers boxed him in. The on in front of him had about 6 really high wattage lights mounted facing backwards to help with night time unloading. He flipped them all on and kept them on for a mile or two. THAT got the message across.

Archived