SASS Wire Forum

Bear Gunz' home burlarized

Needmore Gunz

Sometime during the day on Wednesday, someone kicked in the back door of Bear's home. They took all of his cowboy guns and most of his other guns as well as his computer, and just about any thing else that looked of value. One of his neighbors saw his front door open and called the police. He got a call on his way home from the sheriff's deputy at his house that he had been robbed. Bear is in the process of going through all the aftermath of trying to put things back together both in physical repair of his home and accounting for his losses as well as the mental part of dealing with the fact that some sorry sucker has been in his home and what in the world do you do to keep that from happening again. Obviously, it has been a long couple of days for all of us.

We had recorded or found serial numbers of most of the guns but not all. He has a detective working the case that seems to be a gun guy and seemed sincere about wanting to work the case to try to help recover some of the guns. We are hopeful that some may be recovered but understand what a long shot that is.

As they say, hard lessons are those best learned...this has made us look at our home security in a much harsher light, made us look at firearms inventory as much more critical than just giving it lip service and made me as well as Bear look at home owners insurance on gun losses closer than we ever had. I have to make mine better.

If you don't think it can happen to you then you need to wake up, it can happen to any of us. Look at your situation and make sure you have done what you need to to be ready if it does happen.

Houston cowboys, be on the lookout for some damn good cowboy guns that some scumball is trying to peddle. The Fort Bend County Sheriff's office is handling this.

Thanks.

It is a shame that a pard did not see the piece of Sh-t that did that.

can you post pictures of the guns, descriptions and maybe serial numbers??

I got several safes, a house with nosy neighbors, and a Doberman who dont like anybody in HIS house...but i know it can happen to me too...

if you find them we can throw my "Oak Cliff Frisbee" at them.... for those of you that did not grow up in the hood that is a tireiron.

Happened to us about 20 years ago and I still walk through every room of the house when I come home.

I know what a few of them look like, I'll keep an eye out in my regular stops.

Wish you all the best in recovering them.

BJW

That really Pi$$es me off.

Let us know what we can do to help.

Oklahoma Dee

Sorry to hear that pard. Hopefully the detective will get somewhere. Had my house broken into on my way back from winter range last year but I got lucky. They even missed the derringer by the money can they grabbed. Give Bear my regards.

Needmore, that absolutely sucks! Tell Bear to call me if he needs anything! I've got some loaner guns if he'd like to use them, too. Marlin and AWAs, not Rugers and a 73, but he's welcome to them.

An officer told me a long time ago that all you can do is make it difficult for the scumbags. If they really want to gut your home, they will. Just make it as hard as possible for them.

I had a burglar tell me once how they got into the safe....they simply turned the handle...it was unlocked. now I spin the lock every time I go by mine.

Did you have a proper inventory list of your firearms for police and insurance? Reading this made me realize that I DO NOT! I had sold my "regular" cartridge arms and bought cowboy guns so close together that I have failed to even be close to having a proper list of serial numbers (a job that I will get right on). One could always go to the dealer, but there is nothing like handing a detailed list to the police and saying "here you go". Smithy.

Make sure you have hard copies of your inventory list. If it's only on the computer and they take that....

Guest Crosscut Hardy SASS # 54701

Sure makes me mad hearing about this Gary....I have a 5th gen. cowboy/indian '73 straight stock .38

as back-up....Let Bear know he can borrow it if he wants.......crosscut hardy

Oh man...I really hate to hear that. I cannot understand what makes a person think that its ok to just take someone elses stuff. I can tolerate a lot of things...but never a thief. Hopefully the crook is an idiot and all the guns can be recovered quickly. If ya'll are planning to shoot our match coming up and need something, just let me know. I will make sure that its taken care of.

I just recently went thru and updated my serial numbers list, hard copy as well as on the computer. Seems I havent updated it in a long time

Make sure you have hard copies of your inventory list. If it's only on the computer and they take that....

or keep the list and serial numbers on a thumbdrive....and sock the thumbdrive away...good to also have the serial numbers of your computer, television, kids bicycles, betamax player, everything with a serial number. sometimes papers copies can be misplaced...unless you keep them in the locked safe.

Bear,

Sorry to hear about that pard, it could be that same sorry S.O.B. in houston that stold my Rolex!!!! :angry: Give me a call I'll drive down and we will both look for him. ;) I have plenty of extra guns ifin you need some to use.

Slick

It is a good time to reflect on our own security. How secure is your stuff?

I have a 1000 lb. gun safe, a burglar alarm with cellular backup in case they cut phone lines, a BIG German Shepard, NRA Insurance for my firearms, and home owners insurance for the rest of the stuff.

Bottom line -- it is just stuff. I'm just glad no one was hurt. It is a big inconvenience to try and replace CAS firearms, especially if they are slicked up, but it is still just stuff, not your life.

I'm sure folks will be happy to help him out with loaners until he is up and running again. That is just how cowboy shooters do things.

Just shot with Guz n Bear at Bayou Blast 2011. Hate to see that happen to a great cowboy action shooter or anyone else for that matter. He did have some nice guns. Sorry for the loss because I have had homes broken into twice and the feeling it leaves you with is one on isolation and venerability. If you need anything all you have to do is let us know. Good luck.

I also need to update my gun stock inventory. A must do job. We have home security monitored 24/7 and converted a closet to a gun safe. I hope I never loose the key.

Yes it's a sad deal for sure.

Lost a couple of guns that way myself.

Being more worried about fire or natural disater I checked with my insurance company and when they quoted me $2.00 per $100.00 I just told 'em to stuff it an bought another safe. We all need to keep that hard copy list up todate, might just need to make that my next rainy day chore.

Hopefully the SO will get a break and these low lifes will do some hard Bubba time.

That sux. Let me know if Bear needs any loaners.

Fellow shooter that had same thing happen told me he emailed the serial number lists and pictures to his own email that way if the police called he could look them up from work.

Did n't have to wait to go home to look up on computer or get hard copies.

Good advice!

Bear, If you shoot 44-40 I have some extra guns that you can have as long as you need them. I also have a 1887 12 ga for a back up with all the bells and whistles you may also borrow. This is a serious offer and not BS. I'm a former LEO and I was hit myself. The feeling in your gut can't be explained. The pawn shops are the first place you need to go with any numbers you have. They will try to dump them all at once to the same shop. If you just have one number that could make an arrest faster. If you can do some of the foot work yourself it will help. The locals have to go through a chain of command before it gets to the guys on the street and you can speed this up. Start on the other side of town first. Later

Sorry to hear about this. It makes me remember that I need to make a record of all of my firearms and get an insurance policy on them. Anybody know of a good firearms insurer?

======================================================

Take it a step further and take several digital photos of each gun you own, including the serial number.

Needmore, tell Bear that I'm sincerely sorry to hear about the break-in and burlary. We were burlarized in '04 and I lost 19 guns (all of my cowboy and family guns that were pasted down), so I know the feeling of being violated.

We now have a home security alarm system, gun safe, security cameras, security lights, and motion detactors that are monitored from our home, plus home-owner insurance that covers our firearms.

Because of the insurance, we have video and still photos of all firearms, and records of serial numbers, date aquired, amount paid, and estimated values.

Again, I am so sorry,

Ghost

iPhone app gunsafe

Password protected, picture, serial number, cost, date purchase and comments for every gun

Inventory can be emailed to law enforcement.

No written list for a burglar to find

That's a hard loss to take. Won't go very far in making up for your lost but your NRA membership can allow you up to about $1,000 (total) on your guns if you had receipts to validate their expense. I had a shotgun and rifle stolen about a year and a half ago and someone told me about that and I got the police report and info to them just a day before the 90 day deadline. They promptly sent me a check for $900 some odd dollars. In my case it almost covered my entire expense whereas with you it will be a drop in the bucket but at least it is a drop. I have not looked into their more extensive policy they offer but it might be worth looking into.

Real sorry to hear of your loss. After reading all the posts I see the cowboy spirit is alive and well. I thought I had my equipment well documented with a hard copy and flash drive and of corse in the computer. After reading the posts here I EMailed the hole folder to myself. Thank's for the help.

That is terrible! I had one gun stolen from a vehicle years ago and agonized over the loss for years afterward. But if you have serial #'s there is hope. I got a call from a detective approximately 6 yrs later who had recovered my gun in a pawnshop 100 miles away. The only guns I leave unlocked now are the ones I am goin to use when I catch the scumbags. I too will be glad to help if Bear needs something. Best wishes!

Just bought/installed a new safe.

Cabela's has their 30 gun safe (made by Liberty Safes) on sale for $800. It weighs over 550 lbs, and I bolted it to the floor with concrete anchors.

Seemed like a better investment then buying a new rifle.

Archived