SASS Wire Forum

Teacher rattles table

Doesn't sound like an emergency to me. I think the student should be reprimanded for placing the call without due cause and wasting everybodies time.

So to get back at a teacher you claim you was startled and teacher gets put on leave...?

What PC nation ...:(

I went to school with this man.... :ph34r:

Educator of the Year ... :FlagAm:

A former Sergeant, having served his time with the Marine Corps, took a new job as a school teacher, but

just before the school year started he injured his back. He was required to wear a plaster cast around the upper part of his body.

Fortunately, the cast fit under his shirt and wasn't noticeable. On the first day of class, he found himself assigned to

the toughest students in the school. The smart Aleck punks, having already heard the new teacher was a former Marine, were leery of him and decided to see how tough he really was, before trying any pranks. Walking confidently into therowdy classroom, the new teacher opened the window wide and sat down at his desk. When a strong breeze made his tie flap,

he picked up a stapler and promptly stapled the tie to his chest.

.....Dead silence. He had no trouble with discipline that year

SEMPER FI!! :FlagAm:

A former Sergeant, having served his time with the Marine Corps, took a new job as a school teacher, but

just before the school year started he injured his back. He was required to wear a plaster cast around the upper part of his body.

Fortunately, the cast fit under his shirt and wasn't noticeable. On the first day of class, he found himself assigned to

the toughest students in the school. The smart Aleck punks, having already heard the new teacher was a former Marine, were leery of him and decided to see how tough he really was, before trying any pranks. Walking confidently into therowdy classroom, the new teacher opened the window wide and sat down at his desk. When a strong breeze made his tie flap,

What a cool story.. I have to tell you I would have sat in the front row and behaved all year long after that myself..

Now that's a cool story!!!!!

I wish I had been there to see that.

~EE Taft~ :FlagAm:

Yeah, but HOW would you have behaved? Any action or inaction is behavior. :lol:

I was my fathers angel.. lol And everyones entertainment..

This being a family oriented forum, I must say "No comment."

lol... too funny...

WHAT A LOAD OF BUFFALO PATTIES!

What was she doing to be startled? Painting her nails? Penciling her eyebrows? Texting? Dreaming of Bieber? Certainly wasn't on the classroom at hand!

Sounds like Little Miss Muffin needs some punishment dished out from the school herownself.

So whats so unusual about that? It was in California..........

And rattling a table can be sooooo trumatic to some pampered kids.

Tascosa

PS I probably should have kept my mouth shut about this!

PPS But have I ever done that? Nope! Its called hoof and mouth disease.

Kid here in Virginia last week or so, held a door open for a lady with both arms full and got suspended for that. I can not add link but it has been all over the news here in Eastern Virgina.

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2011/02/26/middle-school-student-suspended-for-opening-door/

That kid would have had a cardiac episode when I was teaching.

One of the reasons I walked away from it almost 25 years ago...and never looked back for one second.

Most normal adults wouldn't want to do this job (I'm a HS teacher). Now that the Republicans are painting us all as Fat Cats with cushy jobs, it's interesting how many people I know have commented to me, like, "I should have been a teacher" ... I have a friend same age as me, 53, who lost his job and is now taking classes in order to become a middle school or high school teacher. He has no idea what he's getting himself in to. I've tried to tell him, but he won't listen to me. He's a very gentle, mild-mannered person.

The way these kids are now days ... they'll have him for lunch.

Guest Rio Grande Slim

Bob, you are so right. We hired a young lady here at my highschool campus to teach colledg readness. She had been one of our computer lab teck. She has decided that she is not going to renue her contract for next year. :huh: Me, if I was closer to retirement age, I'd do the same. It's just not the same as when I started 18 years ago. :angry:

I have two more years to full retirement, then maybe I'll do a few more after that.

I haven't decided yet.

Kinda depends on how bad they fiddle with the retirement system doesn't it? :angry:

It's official... the nation's in trouble.

+1

Most of my life long friends that I grew up with are teachers or education administrators. The horror stories abound and the kids are getting it honestly, the behavior is being ingrained in them by their parents and peers.

My hats off to all of you that chose teaching as a career.

In my senior year of college I was asked to take over for a teacher that hadd quit in the middle of the year. The classroom was a mess and it was going to be a challenge. I had class conflicts so I passed it to another senior. First day he walks in with his suit on. Students are watching to see how he was going to be. He leaned forward and his jacket opened enought that the gun in the holster he was wearing showed pretty good. A buzz went thru the room. No problems after that. He was a Parks policeman and was still active at that time.

Russ (only made six years in the high school system)

............. that's what I call "preparation" ..... :)

Snap, I would have been throw UNDER the jail! Little Drama Queen needs community service or something! Teachers work with such shackles anymore! I know some of those are for student's protection, but the majority are just rediculous. Aren't there rules against her having a phone? I had the authority to tell my students to turn theirs off, or come to me first if they were expecting an emergency call. I realize I taught, for the most part, those over the majority, but still, most highschools don't allow phones in school unless it is an emergency. Obviously this wasn't, she should be reprimanded and punished since none of the other students thought anything about it.

I taught humanities at a local college for over 7 years. Even though I am a small, sociable woman, I never had much problem since I usually hung out in the class like a student til 10-15 after on the first day to hear the "gossip". Then I got up and introduced myself, my educational and studies background as well as my personal hobbies (raising wolves and class III rangemaster usually do it!) to the class. They knew I had overheard their conversations, so I was at a distinct advantage.

Didn't do this one semester in ONE class and had a student who liked to come to my class and sleep. After 3 weeks of this my students were pissed, as was I. One day I dismissed the class one row at a time, never changing the sound or tenor of my voice until the classroom was cleared. I kept talking for another few minutes, reading my chairman's memos as I went out the door. Turns out he missed and failed his math test.

Next class, he actually complained that I made him miss his test. There I was, little woman in a conservative suit. I walked right up to him and sat on the edge of his desk and looked in his eyes. In a low voice (that the class could still hear) I said, "I'm not you're Mama, and I'm NOT your alarm clock. You want to pass, pay attention. You don't, go drop now so you don't disturb the rest of my class, they're not real happy with you." My WONDERFUL students glared at him and backed me and he stayed awake the rest of the semester and passed with a C. Course, that's college... kick em out on the street when they act up, no hall pass needed!

Course, the wolves in class stories are even better! You can't IMAGINE how trouble makers chill once you bring a wolf to class and the tough guys leap over two rows of desks and scream like a girl! LOL!

Velvet (loved teaching, but LOVE, LOVE teaching in the corp world and getting PAID!!) Glove

You shoulda seen the nuns in Catholic Schools about 50 years ago. They carried wooden rulers in their holsters.

Armed and dangerous.

Tell me about it. Out of earshot, we called them names like Sister Hitler and Attila the Nun.

Didn't do this one semester in ONE class and had a student who liked to come to my class and sleep. After 3 weeks of this my students were pissed, as was I. One day I dismissed the class one row at a time, never changing the sound or tenor of my voice until the classroom was cleared. I kept talking for another few minutes, reading my chairman's memos as I went out the door. Turns out he missed and failed his math test.

In my high school chem class one of the guys fell asleep. The teacher motioned for us to be quiet, close our books, and leave. He then turned out the lights and went back to his office.

Then there was his 100 question test to which the answer was B. All 100 questions.

And his test. "Make sure you read all the instructions first." One of the instructions was to read all of the questions before starting. The next to last question said that when you read that question to make sure your name was on the test, then close it, sit back, and look wise, you were done.

+1

Most of my life long friends that I grew up with are teachers or education administrators. The horror stories abound and the kids are getting it honestly, the behavior is being ingrained in them by their parents and peers.

My hats off to all of you that chose teaching as a career.

That's the God's honest truth right there. Kids will only act the way they have seen others act. That's why I truly hate people like Jerry Springer and Howard Stern. They have contributed more to the decline of our society than they will ever know, and all to line their pockets by pandering to the lowest of the lowest impulses and desires we all have.

My wife teaches at a rural school - kindergarten to grade 12 with a total of 17 teachers plus admin staff - 95% of the students are farm or ranch kids with "two" parent families. All students are bussed to and from school. The no hat rule and no coppenhagen in the back or shirt pocket rule is enforced. Being rural, most students have chores to do at home rather than hanging out. Discipline problems at school.......almost nil.

Before that she taught at a town that had a federal pen nearby. A lot of the students came from what we call "jail families". Dad is in jail and wife and kids on welfare moved to be near the jail. A whole different scenerio.

You shoulda seen the nuns in Catholic Schools about 50 years ago. They carried wooden rulers in their holsters.

Armed and dangerous.

Yep got smacked a few times from a ruler bearing nun. How about when they used to pick you up outta yer seat by the sideburns???OUCH! They was some nasty ladies!:angry:

Doesn't sound like an emergency to me. I think the student should be reprimanded for placing the call without due cause and wasting everybodies time.

Hi Slim,

Yep, community service for filing a false report seems appropriate.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Talk about mean teachers...Nuns have nothing on my kindergarden and first grade teachers. After experiences I had, it's a wonder I would even go to school after that. My bad treatment was caused by things that were totally out of my control.

Archived