SASS Wire Forum

Outlaw and Josie Wales rules

I know there are some pretty well accepted rules for shooting Outlaw and maybe for shooting Josey Wales in Cowboy too.  Can somebody send me links?  Thanks in advance.

Here is what we do locally for Josey Wales

Josey Wales Category

The Josey Wales category is not a SASS approved shooting category. The primary

difference in Josey Wales is the use of 2 additional revolvers in place of the rifle. The

rules described below are written with safety and smooth quick stage flow in mind.

1. All revolvers are loaded with 5 rounds each per SASS rules.

2. The revolvers being used for rifle targets (in place of the rifle) will be staged in the

same manner as the rifle per stage instructions. The revolvers may be carried in a 4

holster rig to and from the firing line. Shooters may not draw revolvers from holsters to

shoot the rifle targets.

3. If a shooter does not have a holster for each extra revolver, the extra revolvers will

be carried with the muzzles up at least head high to the staging area for the rifle so as

to not sweep anyone. The RO or other posse member may assist in carrying the

shotgun to be staged.

4. The revolvers are shot duelist or gunfighter style only. No two handed shooting.

5. When the rounds required for the rifle targets is less than 10, the remaining rounds

will be shot safely into the berm. Do not shoot at targets, target stands or props. Misses

cannot be made up. The rounds shot into the berm are not counted as misses.

6. In the event that a stage description calls for loading rounds in the rifle on the clock;

the Jose Wales Shooter must comply with the stage requirement to load, on the clock,

as many rounds as the stage description requires. Engaging any targets as required

and discharging all excess rounds into the berm safely, satisfying the "load on the clock"

stage requirement.

7. The shotgun targets are not to be shot with a revolver unless otherwise directed by

stage instructions.

8. All other SASS Rules Apply.

Our local club rules for Josie Wales are slightly different than Bingo Montana describes...

In place of the rifle, two additional revolvers are used.  These two revolvers will be loaded with no more than five rounds.  (If fewer than ten rounds are needed for the rifle portion of the stage, the shooter will load revolvers as desired, not to exceed the rifle ammo count for the stage each.  In the event the stage requires more than ten rifle rounds or includes a requirement to reload the rifle, the Josie Wales shooter may elect to load as many rounds as the stage requires while “on the clock” or just take the miss penalties.  At no time will the shooter lower the hammer on a live round.)  These revolvers will be fired following the rifle instructions in the scenario.  They may be staged in place of the rifle or carried and drawn from belt or shoulder holsters in accordance with SASS rules.  In whatever manner these revolvers are transported, they may not sweep anyone nor violate the 170 rule.  The shooter may also elect to use a fifth revolver in place of a shotgun.  This revolver will be loaded with the exact number of rounds as there are shotgun targets, not to exceed five.  The shooter may load an additional round on the clock (in accordance with SASS rules) if there are six shotgun targets.  You are not allowed to reload to make up misses.

We allow two handed shooting.  Anything to help shooters compete.

Josey Wales Rules Cross Creek Cowboys
1. The revolvers used for revolver and rifle targets are generally loaded with 5 rounds each but could be less depending on stage instructions. The revolver used for shotgun targets will generally be loaded with the required number of rounds up to 5. If 6 or more SG rounds are required, the required number of rounds may be loaded on the clock. Alternatively, using a sixth revolver is optional for more than 5 shotgun targets.
2. The revolvers are shot with any SASS legal shooting style.
3. If a shooter does not have a holster for each extra revolver, the extra revolvers will be carried with the muzzles up to the staging area for the rifle and shotgun. The RO or other posse member may assist in carrying the extra revolvers.
4. The revolvers being used for rifle targets will be staged in the same manner as the rifle per stage instructions. Shotgun revolver or revolvers are staged at the shotgun position.
5.The shooter may only draw 2 revolvers from holsters during the course of fire.

6. If the rifle is shot first and there is no staging area for the revolvers, the 2 rifle revolvers are to be shot from the holsters and 2 revolvers are to be staged for the revolver targets.
7. The number of rounds loaded for the shotgun targets is per stage instructions. For example, if the stage calls for 4+, the revolver will be loaded with 4 rounds. If the instructions say “As needed” the revolver is loaded with 4 rounds. In some cases, all the revolver rounds for the SG targets may not be expended. The live rounds removed at the unloading table are not a penalty unless they are under the hammer.
8. Reloads for missed shotgun targets are allowed.

There are NO SASS RULES for either "category."  Neither is a recognized SASS/CAS category.  Each individual club makes up their own "Rules" to shoot those disciplines.

In my end of the swamp, Josey Wales is shot with FIVE handguns.  "Shotgun" targets have to be hit but DO NOT have to go down.  No shotgun make-up.

I'm no help with outlaw.

With it being as popular as it sounds I’m surprised SASS doesn’t have it as a category. I’ve personally never shot it or seen anybody shoot it. 

20 minutes ago, Leroy Luck said:

With it being as popular as it sounds I’m surprised SASS doesn’t have it as a category. I’ve personally never shot it or seen anybody shoot it. 

I don't think the Outlaw shooters want SASS involved in 'their' elite style of shooting.    I don't shoot it, but I must admit its one

of the most interesting styles to watch an accomplished 'Outlaw'.     And their hip shooting is VERY competitive with other

shooting categories.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Leroy Luck said:

Josey Wales or Outlaw?

11 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Josey Wales or Outlaw?

josey wales. I’ve heard of several clubs doing/offering it. It sounds more popular than folks think. Plus making the rules standard instead of each club having different variations. 

Since outlaw has its own organization it wouldn’t make sense for SASS to get behind it. 

At our club, Verdant Mountain Vigilantes, we do a Josey Wales option in the fall. The only thing different from a normal match is the option to use a second pair of pistols for the rifle strings. We still use a shotgun. Makes brass picking easy! Folks can also use their rifle if the prefer in the normal categories.

I've shot it with 4 handguns and shotgun several times. Last time I used 5 Colts. Always black powder.  I always talked to the range manager before match. It was always at regular match - no special event. I don't recall anyone else shooting Josey Wales. 

973582099_FiveColtstocleanOct2020.jpg.f7838e2ca399b5c100aa48bd6349dca7.jpg

On 5/14/2024 at 4:47 AM, Leroy Luck said:

josey wales. I’ve heard of several clubs doing/offering it. It sounds more popular than folks think. Plus making the rules standard instead of each club having different variations. 

Since outlaw has its own organization it wouldn’t make sense for SASS to get behind it. 

Leave Josey Wales and Outlaw ALONE!!!!

Those of us that shoot those unofficial categories are perfectly happy with them the way they are.

BTW: Standardizing the rules is what ruined Wild Bunch. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Leave Josey Wales and Outlaw ALONE!!!!

Those of us that shoot those unofficial categories are perfectly happy with them the way they are.

BTW: Standardizing the rules is what ruined Wild Bunch. 

Amen

Thanks gents. I’ve got what I need thanks to your kind assistance.

Archived