SASS Wire Forum

Keeping notes ?

I have so many Firearms that range from Cartridge guns to Cap & Ball guns.

Some 1800's 1900's ans 2000 type Firearms. 

It's some times a long time before I shoot a particular firearm. 

So I'm going to this year try to make a note book on how each firearm shoots and with what Powder and Ball or Cartridge. 

So I'm looking for some advice and ideas on how you do it .

Thank you in advance. 

Rooster .

I, too, use an Excel spreadsheet.  I have a separate page for each firearm.  Every time I shoot I update the pages to show how many of what ammo was shot in each gun plus any comments.  This also gives the total rounds shot through each.  A separate page for all reloading, with details, quantities loaded, etc.  and each load has a name (main match smokeless is currently 38S-12b) to make it easier to ID the loads shot on the individual gun pages.  The reloading page has gotten REALLY long after 25 years, but I can hide the lines for loads no longer used.  Another page with matches shot, add a line at the bottom for each match, with info on club/guns shot/results, etc.  I color code those lines so each club has its own color.  Then the total rounds shot from each gun show up on a Totals page that has each gun listed and rounds through each on the one page.  The latest page I added lists each gun, what I paid for it, and what I believe it should sell for in today's market.  This is to help the executor of my estate to dispose of them.  Other more expensive items like some of the leather, reloading gear, etc, is listed here as well.

All that sounds like a lot but it only takes a few minutes to update it each week after a match, and to update the reloading page every time I reload.  The only "calculations" needed is to sum up columns of numbers for a total.

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The only "calculations" needed is to sum up columns of numbers for a total

And if ya know how to do it, you can set a formula in the last cell to automatically do the calculation. I used to know how, now,not so much.:P

• Like 1

I keep a spreadsheet (free one - no more Excel prices for me) with all my loads, both shot for groups in the past, and planned to load.   Gives me things to do when I run out of doing real work at the range or the house.

And another spreadsheet with details on each firearm.  Has come in handy many times.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use'd a nifty little notebook that came with one of my Mini Cooper's when it was New.  Notice I said "I use'd."  At one time I kept copious notes.  Now however, that I am well and truly "seasoned" I only care about the reloading recipes.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I keep a spreadsheet (free one - no more Excel prices for me) ...

Yeah, me too.  It started as Excel but now I use Open Office for the same file.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

So I'm going to this year try to make a note book on how each firearm shoots and with what Powder and Ball or Cartridge. 

Thank you in advance. 

Rooster .

How about a good old notebook and pen? 

• Like 3

I have a reloading log.  In it I log what I load... bullet, powder, OAL, the usual stuff. 

For handguns, unless there is a problem, there are no notes. 

For long guns I note accuracy.  Once I have arrived at a load that works in a long gun that's pretty much it - that's what I load for it forevermore.   

For example:  The Rem. 700 Classic in .243 Win likes an 87 gr. Hornady BTHP with [can't remember right now] grains of H4831 with an OAL of [can't remember right now].  That's what I load for it.  Period.  It works.  SW Va. groundhogs agree.

• Thanks 1

no - i learned a long time ago that if you kept notes , a journal , a diary .....it will get used against you eventually ,  a record of guns and research of them i dont care - im not shooting anyone - particularly with any of my collectibles , but ....the crap people wright down ...it can be used against you , it nly took me once 

• Like 2

I'm the kind of keep it simple stupid guy  ! 

I was thinking about a note book .

The gun model with Seral number .

The brand of Primer 

The brand of  powder & load .

The bullet.

Dead on  at ?

Four inches high at ?

Four inches low at ?

• Like 1

I only keep notes on my long range guns... A steno pad with notes on the load for the particular rifle.  Each page is dedicated to a particular load (bullet weight in most cases) to include all oad details, group sizes and renderings of the sight settings for various distances.  I.e.: for the Sharps and it's extra long range staff, settings for 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 800 & 1,000 yard,  So far I have pages for 330, 350, 370 & 400 grains pills...  (none of which have any 1,000 yard data yet.  If the load doesn't do 1 MOA, it doesn't get recorded.  For the .30-30 Winchester 94 & it's custom tang sight, which scribed line is what yardage...  Beginning @ 50, 100, 150, 200, 300 & 400 yards.  Each cartridge is marked by a tab glued to the edge of the page.  Different bullets weight each have their own page.  For the scoped guns, it's noted which mark is "zero", and whether that's 75, 100 or 150 yards.  And how many clicks it takes to add 100 yards to the range.  I have yet to make a page for the externally adjusted scope on the .32-40 HiWall.   Still tweeking that load to do 1 MOA at 200 yards!

• Like 1

Since the 1980s reloading recipes and chronograph results kept on index cards organized by caliber.

Medium looseleaf notebook for the firearms and shooting results are kept there.  Got to record it

cause you will sure as shoot forget it otherwise.

No fuss, no batteries.

Old school

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 1:10 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Thank you in advance. 

Rooster .

Gun Log SPC APP on my iPhone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Gun Log SPC APP on my iPhone.

Is this a App ? Or something you made ?

Can you please share more ?

Rooster 

On 4/16/2024 at 1:55 AM, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

Since the 1980s reloading recipes and chronograph results kept on index cards organized by caliber.

Medium looseleaf notebook for the firearms and shooting results are kept there.  Got to record it

cause you will sure as shoot forget it otherwise.

No fuss, no batteries.

Old school

This is my approach. Paper, no digital footprint. Something that can disappear into a shredder or handy fire. 

I know some folks are fine with it and that’s okay, but I’d no sooner put anything about my firearms into any online database than I’d have a ‘digital assistant in my home, and for generally the same reasons. 

• Like 1

Some good ideas and info .

Thank you all .

Rooster