SASS Wire Forum

Split brass and spent pistol primers

I've got about 20 lbs of split brass and spent primers in an 8 lb powder jug.   I ran a magnet over the contents and pulled out any steel cases and the shotgun primers.  They have a lot of steel in them.  Is this stuff worth anything?  Does anybody sell this to a scrap metal dealer?  I'm trying to decide if it's worth fooling with or just throw in the trash.

I sell both CARTRIDGE primers and brass to metal recycler.  They will usually give you a scrap brass price - often close to $2 a pound.  Some will kick the primers down to a "dirty brass" category at $0.30 or so.   Shop around. 

Scrap metal dealers are close cousins to used car lots - be prepared to walk.

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've got about 20 lbs of split brass and spent primers in an 8 lb powder jug.   I ran a magnet over the contents and pulled out any steel cases and the shotgun primers.  They have a lot of steel in them.  Is this stuff worth anything?  Does anybody sell this to a scrap metal dealer?  I'm trying to decide if it's worth fooling with or just throw in the trash.

You just need to go ahead and bring them to the recycler and get your money for them.  Then you can donate all that money to the Krazy Kajun Widows and Orphans and Wayward Wimmin's Society where you just KNOW that it will be put to a proper and "good" use. :D

Kajun

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

You just need to go ahead and bring them to the recycler and get your money for them.  Then you can donate all that money to the Krazy Kajun Widows and Orphans and Wayward Wimmin's Society where you just KNOW that it will be put to a proper and "good" use. :D

Kajun

Please post a link--I'm sure many of us will want to contribute 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Does anybody sell this to a scrap metal dealer?

Yes I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My recycler is just three miles from my house so I don't burn up much fuel driving there.  They swirl a magnet around in the spent primers.  If anything sticks they won't take the scrap.  I don't get much for the scrap but don't like tossing material that can be recycled.  I usually sell scrap aluminum at the same time.

• Like 4

Mine won’t take shotgun primers but I got $2.10 / lb for primers and split brass( separated).    GW

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Mine won’t take shotgun primers but I got $2.10 / lb for primers and split brass( separated).    GW

I ran a magnet over the shotgun primers and they have some steel in them.  I pulled all the shotgun primers out.  $2.10 a pound would make me happy.  

• Like 1

Yes, shotgun primers are made with an outer cup (the battery cup) that is almost always steel.  And some even have the inner cup (containing the primer) made of steel too.   I put shotgun primers directly in trash.

Unless you are running some European cartridges, the cartridge primers should all be brass.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Yes I save all my bad cartridges and bring them to a scrap place. It’s better that throwing them out .

This is roughly what they’re paying.

https://scrapmetalmonster.com/scrap-metal-prices

• Thanks 1

I save mine.  Take the brass and pistol and rifle primers to a scrap yard.  ..Shotgun primers go in the trash.  They actually pay a bit more for the spent primers, so I keep them separate.  I think I made $80 last time I took them in.

Edited by Sarge
  • Like 1

yes , recycle it at the local scrap place , we have two close together here , one you can drive right up to the other you gatta carry it into a building , watch prices sell when its up . 

• Like 1

Scrap yards here in VT pay good money for brass cases but nothing for spent primers and they never say a thing about depriming them

1 hour ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Scrap yards here in VT pay good money for brass cases but nothing for spent primers and they never say a thing about depriming them

Where do you take yours ORR? Although I have more weight in primers than brass!