SASS Wire Forum

Using a Browning BSS for Cowboy Action.

"Big Boston"

Locally a BSS came up for sale, a bit spendy at 1500 CAD, but not out of line IMO. It's been a while since I researched the SxS option, is the BSS still a good candidate for a reliable coach gun?

Because it's M & F the first step will be to shorten the barrels, to likely 20" and install a big bead up front. This will likely decrease the value to less than half, but I have no use for a M & F long barreled shotgun. I'm not a fan of 3" chambers as I only shoot 2 3/4", but in reality that is a minor flaw. The length of pull looks to be a bit long, I'll likely take an inch off the butt as well. 

Are there any issues that I should address before getting serious? On the BSS I had back in the day I had a lot of problems with the hinge pin, it would bind and gall. I ended up doing lots of polishing and greasing to keep that problem from getting too bad, but it would eat itself every once in a while. I suspected bad metal. I noticed the galling after shooting about 10 shells. 

It will have an auto safety - that needs to be modified to be a manual safety.

It's a heavy gun.  Lift weights regularly.  Hinge surfaces need to be regreased after every cleaning. 

good luck, GJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I use one and LOVE it! In my opinion it's the Ruger of shotguns, built like a tank. Yea, it's a little heavier than say an SKB, but that helps keep recoil down.

Cutting the barrels won't diminish the value, you can always get that from a SASS shooter.

If you want work done on it contact Ol #4.

Edited by Beartrap SASS#57175

$1500 is a v. good price these days.

My wife and I both shoot  BSSs.  We've put many hundreds of rounds downrange through them, with zero malfunctions or  problems. They have been 100% dependable guns. 

I did cut her stock down, because she is 5'3" and I have to hang onto her if the wind blows,  but the weight of 26" barrels has not been a problem for her. 

Like all guns, they do get regular and thorough care and maintenance.  

• Like 1

I have the BSS and Baikal.   The BSS feels heavy but according to my scale it is only a couple ounces heavier.   The SKB is definitely lighter.     Wondering if the biggest difference is the balance.       GW

I haven't used a BSS for CAS, strictly SKBs, but I will share that two SKB gunsmiths have mentioned that shortening the barrels too much reduces their weight enough to make it difficult to slick them enough to fall open.  It may be that the BSS barrels are heavy enough that it won't be an issue, but all three of the four SKBs in the Burt family have 22 inch barrels.  The fourth SKB came with the barrels already cut to 18.5, but given it cost me less than $500 to purchase three years ago we've made do.

Edited by Captain Bill Burt
  • Thanks 1

IMO there are really only two camps, either BSS or SKB... like Chevy or Ford trucks. If you can't afford one of them then you drop down a notch and get a Dodge. 

(I just love to start a good fight) :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

"Fall Open??"  I may be sheltered, but I have never seen any internal hammer shotgun that would "fall open" and cock the Main Springs.

Iffin ya want a double that will fall open, gotcha a good Outside Hammer Double and go "real" cowboy.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

"Fall Open??"  I may be sheltered, but I have never seen any internal hammer shotgun that would "fall open" and cock the Main Springs.

Iffin ya want a double that will fall open, gotcha a good Outside Hammer Double and go "real" cowboy.

Maybe you should get out more.  All four of my SKBs will 'fall open' and cock the internal hammers.  It's that Fast Eddie magic.

BTW, SKB's are 'real cowboy'.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Heck CC, my Stoeger will fall open when I release the latch... and it has stock springs in it... (although it does have 38 years of use)!:P

(Forgive the mess and bare feet... but am preparing for a range day)... tomorrow!  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Heck CC, my Stoeger will fall open when I release the latch... and it has stock springs in it... (although it does have 38 years of use)!:P

(Forgive the mess and bare feet... but am preparing for a range day)... tomorrow!  :rolleyes:

uh, can't say for sure on the first opening, but on the 2nd and 3rd time the hammers are already cocked. (all I got was audio, had to download the file to see the video).  Does your calendar still say April 1 ??

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

uh, can't say for sure on the first opening, but on the 2nd and 3rd time the hammers are already cocked. (all I got was audio, had to download the file to see the video).  Does your calendar still say April 1 ??

You're right... I'm so used to my hammer guns, I forgot...  Nope, they fall open about halfway when working against the cocking springs.

Just opening the top lever will allow the shotgun to fall open to the point that the shells can be "Shucked" out. The action of shucking the shells provides that slight amount of inertia required for the empty hulls to fall clear and to re-cock the shotgun. This is a natural action that requires no assistance from the off hand which is being used to retrieve two more shells.   

• Like 1

You may have to remove the ejector mechanism to be CAS legal.

I had to do that when my "Wyatt Earp" Open Hammer started mis firing.

23 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Here’s an example of Fast Eddie magic.

IMG_0242.mov

That's the way my two Fast Eddie SKB's work.  I've got a 3rd SKB but it's still stock.  The difference between the stock and tuned SKB is quite dramatic.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:04 AM, Snakebite said:

IMO there are really only two camps, either BSS or SKB... like Chevy or Ford trucks. If you can't afford one of them then you drop down a notch and get a Dodge. 

(I just love to start a good fight) :P

ill never start a fight nor feed one , i agree for those that choose to select the currently "acceptable" shotgun you may be right , im not at all up on that these days , 

ive shot a stoger and an old stevens 211 for over two decades now so i dont think there are only two camps , neither gave me enough trouble to look for something else , id not push anyone to but an old double and cut it off - but i did , thats served well as my hammered coach gun , the stoeger coach gun  i started with is hammerless and has been a great tool for this venue for me , i bought all my SASS guns as tools to play the game , if i destroy them doing it no loss ,ill buy another and beat the crap out of it , thats my approach --- others may see things different , 

i do collect 322s and ive spent some time collecting the ones that match my SSS guns for fun , those i dont treat the same , no shotguns tho ...............i have enough of those till i break one and need to replace it , spend where you want but dont waste your money , if your tool needs to be those , go for it , ive no idea what these cost these days but choose wisely and look to what makes ou happy in the end 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

ill never start a fight nor feed one , i agree for those that choose to select the currently "acceptable" shotgun you may be right , im not at all up on that these days , 

ive shot a stoger and an old stevens 211 for over two decades now so i dont think there are only two camps , neither gave me enough trouble to look for something else , id not push anyone to but an old double and cut it off - but i did , thats served well as my hammered coach gun , the stoeger coach gun  i started with is hammerless and has been a great tool for this venue for me , i bought all my SASS guns as tools to play the game , if i destroy them doing it no loss ,ill buy another and beat the crap out of it , thats my approach --- others may see things different , 

i do collect 322s and ive spent some time collecting the ones that match my SSS guns for fun , those i dont treat the same , no shotguns tho ...............i have enough of those till i break one and need to replace it , spend where you want but dont waste your money , if your tool needs to be those , go for it , ive no idea what these cost these days but choose wisely and look to what makes ou happy in the end 

Howdy Kid... Tnx for you comment. It appears that you have totally missed my point. This has little, or nothing to do with Shotguns.... it's all about Dodge trucks!!;)

Only two things can have to add is Lady Jane has been shooting one for 7-8 years now in LFC and loves the weight. 
I’d get a set of Thin screwdriver bits and make sure the screws stay tight. Hers tend to work loose from time to time.

Edited by Boggus Deal #64218
  • Like 1

I have an uncut BSS I use for cowboy clays side matches.  The weight is useful for these events.  It is a nice shotgun.  I've handled Old #4's guns and would buy one of his if I needed another.

14 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Howdy Kid... Tnx for you comment. It appears that you have totally missed my point. This has little, or nothing to do with Shotguns.... it's all about Dodge trucks!!;)

as rossanna , rossanna , danna would say - never mind ,

if i missed it i missed it , sometimes i do , trucks huh ? ok , 

Edited by watab kid
  • Haha 1