SASS Wire Forum

Yildiz SxS

Hoss

Aboard us considering a Yildiz sxs. Asked me if I knew anything about them (I don’t) but figured I check with y’all, see if anyone had tried one 

he currently has a Stoeger and a sharptail that he does not like. I’ve suggested SKB, he’s not squire ready to drop the coin for one. 

opinions? 

I know nothing about Yiildz. I tried the Sharptail and didn't like it, the Stoeger was better for this game IMO.  SKBs and Brownings are hard to find, and when you do find one they are very pricy. I think that they are both good gun but not worth the price some folks are paying for them. I'm considering either a TriStar or a Charles Daly. 

Snakebite 

• Like 1

Get a hold of @Taos his boy ran one.

If cost is an issue, get a Stoeger, and have a cowboy gunsmith set it up for you.  It's flaws are well known and easily rectified.

Turkish makers are opening and closing factories on a near-weekly basis, and you will find that support for guns in the pipeline is generally pretty non-existent.

Good luck!

Cheers,

FJT

Edited by Frederick Jackson Turner
  • Like 1

Papa Dave used to slick up and sell the Yildiz, they are the nicest looking internally of any modest priced shotguns I’ve seen.  Everyone I’ve seen would shuck STS and AA hulls right out of the box. Like everything else they are very oversprung.  They have a long reset on the trigger so they are hard to shoot if you’re used to an SKB. I think a good gunsmith could make a very nice starter shotgun out of one.

https://www.academy.com/p/yildiz-12-gauge-side-by-side-shotgun-105280002

Randy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, watab kid said:

never heard off them so nothing to add or detract from this thread , but if someone has one id love to see a photo , 

They look just like the picture in the link.

https://www.academy.com/p/yildiz-12-gauge-side-by-side-shotgun-105280002

Randy

4 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Yildiz? I will have to google that one

Hey Jack... you don't Google it, I think that you Gargle it. It's a Middle Eastern Drink. (Just a guess)

Snakebite

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Hey Jack... you don't Google it, I think that you Gargle it. It's a Middle Eastern Drink. (Just a guess)

Snakebite

Well, it is a fine looking gun and at $540 the price is right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Well, it is a fine looking gun and at $540 the price is right

Yes it is.

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 1

I bought a Yildiz 12g U/O Sporter, great gun & well made. I was going to get the SXS but  instead got a Akkar Churchill SXS  512  30'' Sporter [ basically the  Charles Daly ] at a good price . IMHO the Turks are turning out some really good guns & the timber is what goes on a lot of  other makers stocks & fore -ends..

• Like 2

My Buckaroo grandson uses a Yildez.  12ga now, had a 20ga but sold it for the 12ga.

Seem to be good guns.  Very light, much lighter than a Stoeger.

He also has a very slicked up 12ga two trigger Stoeger and MUCH prefers the Yildez.

Both his Yildez have had a few problems, nothing unusual for a lower dollar gun, and nothing that myself or most any gunsmith could not handle.

Build quality is way above Stoeger.   

My biggest fear with the Yildez is getting parts if I need them.  

The 20ga is a different gun than the 12ga, different mechanisms (don't know why that is, but is).  We seemed to have more problems with the 20 than the 12.  The 20 had problems locking the barrels, had to get a gunsmith (Boomstick) to weld/work on the barrel locks.   It also would light strike the left barrel, but that was pretty rare.  The top lever that opens the barrels had problems too.  The internals of the opening lever on his 20 was apparently made of soft metal and it wore completely out to where the gun would not open.  Had to get it repaired with a hard weld and ground back down to specs.   IMHO based on my experience with the 20ga, I'd stay away from it.

The only problem with the 12 was it not opening far enough and staying open enough for easy load and shuck.   An easy but careful fix.  There is a lug on the barrel, between the barrels, that cocks the hammers.  The lug was too long and was over-cocking the hammers.  This caused the hammer springs to keep tension on the lug and barrels not allowing he barrels to stay fulling open.  By removing the butt stock I could see how far the gun was over cocking.  Marked the hammers to where they cocked and carefully ground down the cocking lug on the barrels to reduce the over cocking problem.  I just had to be very careful not to shorten the cocking lug too much, or the gun would be gunsmith bound.  Works like a charm now.   

That and the regular lightened hammer spring, polishing and chamber honing/widening.  

Overall the Yildez 12ga is a great gun.  IMHO

The internals of the Yildez are very similar to a Stoeger, so if you can work on a Stoeger you should be able to work on a Yildez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHAT???  Where are the Hammers??  Suppose to have Hammers!!  Missing a Trigger too.  And the Barrels are 10 inches too long.  Other than that . . . .  kinda ok.

I have been shooting Yildiz 20-gauge side x sides for 10 or 11 years now. I don't have any experience with the higher priced guns because I never felt the need. The Yildiz worked fine for me. I am not a gunsmith but modified the Yildiz to suit my needs. The 20 gauge is not built like a tank, I managed to pull the forend hanger out of my first one after 5 or 6 years of hard, if not abusive use, but my second one works just fine. I have a third as a backup. They are sold by Academy Sports but are not immediately ready for Cowboy Action use. The 20 gauge only comes with ejectors, but there is a set of small triggers in the forend that can be easily removed to turn the gun into an extractor model. The barrels are 28" and I cut mine down to 20" and added a new large front bead. The hammer springs are heavy and need to be cut. The action when opened is very stiff and needs to be polished to lightened up. 

I have no complaints about the build of the guns. I have had none of the opening and locking problems that Taos mentioned above. 

The 20 gauge gun is light. After cutting the barrels to 20" it only weighs 5 pounds even. It does kick. The receiver is made of aluminum with stainless steel recoil shields at the breach. When you pull the stock to get to the innards of the action you find most of the parts are stainless steel. The one disappointment is that the vertical cam rod that is turned by the lever to open the action is raw steel and tends to rust if not coated with grease. 

I tried a Stoeger for a very short time, but with the wide beavertail forend and different pistol grip in the stock, I found it felt clunky. The Yildiz has a narrow forend and I find it points more naturally and the light 5 pound weight makes it easy to handle and easy to shuck empties. 

I have enjoyed the ones I have. I see they list for $540.00 now, but all of mine were under $500.00 when I bought them. For me they have been worth the money. 

Just my thoughts.

Crusty Steve

• Thanks 2

Yildiz is a much Higher Quality Shotgun then the price represents. 

I would have no issue ever buying a Yildiz shotgun .

Very much has the quality of much higher end shotguns .

So Saith The Rooster 

• Like 1

I've slicked up a 410 from Yildiz for a pard's grand daughter and found it to be a very nice gun for the $$. Not too difficult to work on and very usable once done.

I have tuned many Yildiz shotguns and a few turned out acceptable, most were not. If you're content to go a little slower, the Yildiz will work for you. Like most Turkish made guns their design makes it impossible to set them up to break open easily.

The stoeger, when worked over by a qualified cowboy action gunsmith, can be a very good gun. There is just no telling how long it will last. I've seen some go well over 20 years, and some need help in 6 months

J.M

Edited by Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2