SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1887 Follow up video questions answered.

30 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Thanks for the follow up.  Would be curious what Lassiters impressions are once he has a chance to go through yours.  

He’s not at all a social media guy but I will get a full rundown and do a follow up video once it’s done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Great reviews on the 1887.

However, after the "Drop Two modification" is made, can the magazine still hold hold 5-6 shells?

If not, it would seem that it would have to be set up for either the Cowboy shooting or for Wild Bunch shooting, to take full advantage of either state of the shotgun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Don Jorge said:

However, after the "Drop Two modification" is made, can the magazine still hold hold 5-6 shells?

If not, it would seem that it would have to be set up for either the Cowboy shooting or for Wild Bunch shooting, to take full advantage of either state of the shotgun.

If the mod is like Coyote Cap's, yes you can still stoke it.

Looking forward to handling one of these. ;)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Don Jorge said:

There are different methods to the "load 2/drop 2."  I have been told by Lassiter that his method basically eliminates the mag tube, though will admit I have never handled a Lassiter modified gun.  Coyote Caps version of the mod does still allow for the mag to be stoked, there is a cowboy gunsmith that took over his business though I do not remember his name, I got my IAC back from him shortly before Coyote Cap passed away.    

2 hours ago, Don Jorge said:

That’s entirely dependent on your level of commitment to practice with it. Dropping 2 is obviously better but there are other ways to shoot it competitively. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please post up a review with pictures, when you can. ;)

Will do but not sure when that’ll be.  With my luck, it’ll come in next week when I’m out of town for work.  

I typically wait on things like this to see how the reviews are looking.  Of course, by that time the item is no longer available.  For better or worse, decided to just jump on this one.  Pretty cheap way into an 87, it seems. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please post up a review with pictures, when you can. ;)

Just curious. How many reviews do you need to see before you deem it a viable gun? Are you then going to buy one? 

11 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Just curious. How many reviews do you need to see before you deem it a viable gun? Are you then going to buy one? 

Yours was good enough for me.  Been intrigued by the 87 for a while but unwilling to spend big $$ to have one.  Your review and the cost was enough to push me off that fence.  

For those that might want another perspective, I’ll gladly offer my thoughts after I get it.  However, if yer expecting a Deuce-style review you’d best prepare to be disappointed.  I’m just not that talented. 

• Like 1

Well, we've got a couple coming to the shop. My wallet hopes I don't like it, but...

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:29 PM, Don Jorge said:

As Deuce said, it depends on your level of commitment to practice. ‘87s have a steep learning curve. My Coyote Cap version allows stoking the tube, but requires a bit of finesse to load just two without pushing the carrier down too far. It can be done at competitive speeds, but the drop 2 only mod is more foolproof. 

• Like 2

I have two 87s with Lassiter's mod.  One I can load the mage tube it is am persistent and hold my mouth just right. I have yet found a way to load the mag tube in the other one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I've had my Cimarron 87 for a bit but work keeps getting in the way of my fun.  Finally had a chance to take a close look at the thing and my non-shooting review follows.  I won't be including any pictures because it looks just like the one Deuce reviewed.

The fit and finish of the gun is very good.  The metal appears to wear a parkerized finish and the wood is nicely fitted.  It came coated with oil but not to the point of being obnoxious.  Cycling of the action is suprisingly smooth.  I'm sure that it could be slicked up better but it's really not too bad out of the box.  I could just fit 5 of my handloaded dummy rounds in the tube with another 1 on the carrier for a total load of 6.  The trigger pull was a pleasant 3 lbs. 2 oz. and was consistent across 5 readings.  Trigger break was very good with very little creep.  The trigger is not of 'precision rifle' quality but I wasn't expecting it to be.  It IS a shotgun, after all.  Ejection was a bit stout but it's my understanding that it is with 87s anyway.  Still, I'm betting a little buff and fluff would make it better.  For the money it cost, I'm happy with it.

1887s have always intrigued me but I've been unwilling to spend >1k for one.  This offering allowed adding an 87 to the collection without the wallet screaming.  It will probably see a match at some point but not one where I hope to be competitive.  I'll stick with the doubles for those.

Those interested in this are probably wondering if I have any regrets about the purchase and if I would do it again.  The answers are "no" and "yes".  Unless you're an 1887 purist, I suspect you'd be satisfied with one too.  No, I don't have any affiliation with Cimarron or any Chicom business.

• Thanks 3

Already got mine on order with Barleycorn Outfitters

Nice video.

But I will never understand why when the guns, 97 and 87, are made to hold 5, Wild Bunch insists on doing 6 round stages.   It requires you to modify your gun, and that's just silly.

That being said, do they make a long barrel (28 to 30 inches) version with a full choke?

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Nice video.

But I will never understand why when the guns, 97 and 87, are made to hold 5, Wild Bunch insists on doing 6 round stages.   It requires you to modify your gun, and that's just silly.

That being said, do they make a long barrel (28 to 30 inches) version with a full choke?

'87, 5 in mag tube, one on the carrier with action closed is 6 ;)

28 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

'87, 5 in mag tube, one on the carrier with action closed is 6 ;)

Without shorting the mag spring a little the reproduction 1887s will not hold 6 and allow hte bolt to close on an empty chamber.  I have five 1887s, 3 IAC and 2 NORINCO. None would hold 6 without shortening the magazine spring.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Without shorting the mag spring a little the reproduction 1887s will not hold 6 and allow hte bolt to close on an empty chamber.  I have five 1887s, 3 IAC and 2 NORINCO. None would hold 6 without shortening the magazine spring.

Interesting, my stock 06 prefex would.  It would take a bit of effort to close the bolt.

No issues at all with our2 Coyote Cap built '87.

Just got mine in this weekend and went straight to work on trying to get it to hold 6. By the time I got it to hold 6 and close easily, the spring wasn't putting enough pressure on the follower to cycle the last shell. Ordered one of the extra power Wolf springs and cut it about the same length Deuce cut the spring he used in the above video. Works perfectly now loading 5 in the tube with one on the carrier. No failures with dummies or loaded rounds (safely checked of course)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:44 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

I have two 87s with Lassiter's mod.  One I can load the mage tube it is am persistent and hold my mouth just right. I have yet found a way to load the mag tube in the other one.

Do you have to hold your mouth another way to get them to feed?  :rolleyes:

Actually that’s a straight up question. How do they feed?

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 1

I know many of the 87's have a issue shooting the 2.3/4 shell .

Once it's fired and the crimp opens up , it's to long and hangs up upon ejection. 

I hope these work better this time around. 

I have one coming from Barleycorn Outfitters right now .

Rooster 

Screenshot_20240218_192322_Photos.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I know many of the 87's have a issue shooting the 2.3/4 shell .

Once it's fired and the crimp opens up , it's to long and hangs up upon ejection. 

I hope these work better this time around. 

I have one coming from Barleycorn Outfitters right now .

Rooster 

Screenshot_20240218_192322_Photos.jpg

Not my experience with a Coyote Cap gun. Gotta run that lever with authority. If you do, good things happen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Not my experience with a Coyote Cap gun. Gotta run that lever with authority. If you do, good things happen. 

I found quickly this Cimarron needs to be ran with authority as well

• Thanks 1